What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks! Now my question is which one does NOT restrict user control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel?
The premise of WiFi systems is that you let it do the "driving". Messing with any wireless settings means you are working against the control systems of the product.

If you want to futz with those settings, you should be using a multi-AP system with Ethernet backhaul.

The premise of WiFi systems is that you let it do the "driving". Messing with any wireless settings means you are working against the control systems of the product.

If you want to futz with those settings, you should be using a multi-AP system with Ethernet backhaul.
That would be correct in case our routers would work how supposed to.

But they dont - there is no working "control system" in consumer products!
If your neighbourhood noises changes you router still stay on same old channel till you luckily reboot ... how stupid!
Than it maybe uses another channel and surrounding routers doesnt mention that or adopt their chanel.

I wonder... do other consumer mesh systems (Google, Orbi, etc.) restrict user control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel? My neighbor's Orbi sits on one 2.4 GHz channel at 40 MHz.

I've observed the same behavior from the Orbi - Ch8 as Primary (some call this control) and the secondary on Ch4 - which pretty much impacts everyone on 1/6/11...

Never heard or seen that AC1900 got Smart Connect, can you show your wireless/general tab?

I would like to have Smart Connect too, but without the possibility to set channel and bandwith it is useless for me.

360657fade162bdeb7bb164bb5bdff0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

360657fade162bdeb7bb164bb5bdff0d.jpg

You are showing an RT-AC5300 with Smart Connect. It's the AC1900 that does not have Smart Connect, yes?

OE

to mix up 68U and 86U will happen often, but AC1900 and AC5300 ?!?

still searching for an RT-AC1900 or any 68U-type with Smart Connect, dont think they could ever exist so long as they all got same firmware.

You are showing an RT-AC5300 with Smart Connect. It's the AC1900 that does not have Smart Connect, yes?

OE

Question in order to see each nodes settings do I need to plug a laptop into each node to be able to see it settings like the 5300? Or how can I see each node setting by logging into the routers admin page?

Is there a way to see each routers settings?

If so how do I see them please

Thank you

Also I have picked up another AC3100, should I just swap out the 1900 for the 3100, would that make better sense in my set up?

Question in order to see each nodes settings do I need to plug a laptop into each node to be able to see it settings like the 5300? Or how can I see each node setting by logging into the routers admin page?

Thank you

Also I have picked up another AC3100, should I just swap out the 1900 for the 3100, would that make better sense in my set up?

I would also like to put a node in my master bedroom and which one would you suggest to put there? It will not get much traffic at all on that room

Thank you

The only way I know to inspect the node is to reset it and inspect it as a non-AiMesh router. Then add it back to the AiMesh from the mesh router GUI.

You'll have to reread this thread and decide what makes sense for your situation.

OE

I would also like to put a node in my master bedroom and which one would you suggest to put there? It will not get much traffic at all on that room

You have three devices and you want to add a fourth... that's a lot of WiFi unless you have a big house.

I suggest you work with what you've got until you've got it working to your satisfaction.

OE

You have three devices and you want to add a fourth... that's a lot of WiFi unless you have a big house.

I suggest you work with what you've got until you've got it working to your satisfaction.

OE

In your opinion would you rather have a system with the following

AC5300
AC1900p
AC3100

Or

AC5300
AC3100
AC3100

Thank you very much for all of your help on this![emoji3]

In your opinion would you rather have a system with the following

AC5300
AC1900p
AC3100

Or

AC5300
AC3100
AC3100

Thank you very much for all of your help on this![emoji3]

I would omit the AC1900... no Smart Connect. And I would prefer the AC86U... it's a newer build and good enough. Someone else here with experience with the AC3100 may offer some advice.

OE

I would omit the AC1900... no Smart Connect. And I would prefer the AC86U... it's a newer build and good enough. Someone else here with experience with the AC3100 may offer some advice.

OE

I already have the two 3100 units just only have one in place at this point.

I didn't want to have go buy anything else, but if it's the best then I need to rethink this setup![emoji3]

Thank you very much for your time and help![emoji3]

I already have the two 3100 units just only have one in place at this point.

I didn't want to have go buy anything else, but if it's the best then I need to rethink this setup![emoji3]

Thank you very much for your time and help![emoji3]

I'm not familiar with the 3100 to suggest 'go ahead and use it'. But if it suits your needs and supports Smart Connect, then you could go ahead and use it. You'll have to research it a bit more...

OE

I'm not familiar with the 3100 to suggest 'go ahead and use it'. But if it suits your needs and supports Smart Connect, then you could go ahead and use it. You'll have to research it a bit more...

OE

I did go ahead and change out the AC1900p to the AC3100, so now my system setup is as follows.

AC5300 as main router
AC3100 as a node
AC3100 as a node

Only thing turned on is the roaming asstiant because the AC1900p did not support Smart connect, so my question would be should I have Smart connect turned on now because all items in my setup support Smart connect, or do I turn roaming asstiant off and only have Smart connect on?

Please give input on this I have been reading a lot and sometimes it is confusing to process all of the information correctly.

Thank you again for the help on this!![emoji3] it's very much appreciated!

I did go ahead and change out the AC1900p to the AC3100, so now my system setup is as follows.

AC5300 as main router
AC3100 as a node
AC3100 as a node

Only thing turned on is the roaming asstiant because the AC1900p did not support Smart connect, so my question would be should I have Smart connect turned on now because all items in my setup support Smart connect, or do I turn roaming asstiant off and only have Smart connect on?

Please give input on this I have been reading a lot and sometimes it is confusing to process all of the information correctly.

Thank you again for the help on this!![emoji3] it's very much appreciated!

My earlier post mentions Roaming Assistant and Smart Connect. Together, they are suppose to help wireless clients roam. So, leave them both enabled with default settings.

Another factor is WiFi radio coverage/overlap as it relates to router/node placement. A WiFi signal analyzer app on a mobile device such as Android WiFi Analyzer Classic can help you to view WiFi signal power at various locations. You want to place your nodes within range of the router's 5.0 GHz WiFi/WLAN (-70 dBm power or better/less negative). 5.0 GHz signals travel less far than 2.4 GHz signals, so this will ensure that the node is within range of both router WLANs, 2.4 and 5.0 GHz (for a wireless backhaul).

And be sure to update firmware and then reset to factory defaults on each device before building your AiMesh. My install notes.

OE

Last edited:

One can def have too much wifi...

more nodes - more overhead on mesh - been there with that one...

root and two children seems to be best compromise - focus on the children node placement for best performance.

One can def have too much wifi...

more nodes - more overhead on mesh - been there with that one...

root and two children seems to be best compromise - focus on the children node placement for best performance.

I have decided for now to just leave it with the three to see how it works out. I just got everything set up with roaming asstaint on and Smart Connect on, I think I need to play with the settings by tweaking them.

I am still trying to really figure this whole thing out! But from what I can tell and see is that devices do roam from router to node as I am walking through the house.

According to this ASUS rep, features from the 86u are adopted by the child nodes (68u) if 86u is used as the root. I would presume smart-connect would be one of those features, but maybe that’s not the case?

@1:08

Last edited:
According to this ASUS rep, features from the 86u are adopted by the child nodes (68u) if 86u is used as the root. I would presume smart-connect would be one of those features, but maybe that’s not the case?

@1:08
Correct it is sayed very clearly at 1:15 all extra features of 86U will be available on 68U too, but I dont believe it before seen or someone else verifying this.
Guest networks are NOT available on node, and same I will think about Smart Connect, so this video is lying at least for guest SSID!

PLEASE anybody: Show me just a single "extra feature" that will be propagated to a node" that could be meant in his statement with 86U-main and 68U-node!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!