What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And they all will still be on the same SSID network name without any issues correct?

Thank you very much for everyone's help and input on this![emoji3]

The AiMesh router SSIDs extend to the node WLANs (except not for guest WLANs). If a router/node does not support Smart Connect node band steering (this is a setting under Wireless\General), and you do not use separate SSIDs for each band, then some wireless clients may not connect to the preferred band, or may just take longer stepping through band connections.

The short answer is don't buy the AiMesh routers that do not support Smart Connect and expect to use same SSIDs without having more issues.

OE

The AiMesh router SSIDs extend to the node WLANs (except not for guest WLANs). If a router/node does not support Smart Connect node band steering (this is a setting under Wireless\General), and you do not use separate SSIDs for each band, then some wireless clients may not connect to the preferred band, or may just take longer stepping through band connections.

The short answer is don't buy the AiMesh routers that do not support Smart Connect and expect to use same SSIDs without having more issues.

OE

So what you are saying is that I really should get a different node if I want everything to be the same SSID correct?

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what you are saying is that I really should get a different node if I want everything to be the same SSID correct?

Thank you very much

If the node does not support Smart Connect, then it undermines one of the elegant features of AiMesh... seamless roaming with one system wide SSID... assuming it works as advertised. Ultimately, the client decides its connection... but you want AiMEsh to help it along... to steer off one node when another is nearby, and to steer to the better band when it makes that node jump. That's the AiMesh plan using proprietary steering. If you want to try it, you should insist on fully supported routers, imo. Otherwise, without Smart Connect, you will likely be forced to separate SSIDS, one for each band, and manual node band steering.

Once I discovered 68Us do not support Smart Connect, I dumped 'em and got 86Us... a stronger build all around.

Does your AC1900 support Smart Connect? I doubt it since it's another flavor of the 68U.

OE

Last edited:
If the node does not support Smart Connect, then it undermines one of the elegant features of AiMesh... seamless roaming with one system wide SSID... assuming it works as advertised. Ultimately, the client decides its connection... but you want AiMEsh to help it along... to steer off one node when another is nearby, and to steer to the better band when it makes that node jump. That's the AiMesh plan using proprietary steering. If you want to try it, you should insist on fully supported routers, imo. Otherwise, without Smart Connect, you will likely be forced to separate SSIDS, one for each band, and manual node band steering.

Once I discovered 68Us do not support Smart Connect, I dumped 'em and got 86Us... a stronger build all around.

Does your AC1900 support Smart Connect? I doubt it since it's another flavor of the 68U.

OE

Question please

Do I need to have smart connect turned on in my Aimesh system setup? I do not have it turned on at this point.

Thank you

Question please

Do I need to have smart connect turned on in my Aimesh system setup? I do not have it turned on at this point.

Thank you

Why did you turn it off? :)

OE

Why did you turn it off? :)

OE

I never did, I have never even touch this setting.

My bad for not checking this setting as I have been adding my nodes to my Aimesh system. So without this on my devices do not connect to the other modes through out my house as I am moving around my house from room to room?

So the items I see connected on each node is something it already has assigned to them?

Sorry I am learning all of this system.

Thank you for taking the time to help me![emoji2]

I never did, I have never even touch this setting.

My bad for not checking this setting as I have been adding my nodes to my Aimesh system. So without this on my devices do not connect to the other modes through out my house as I am moving around my house from room to room?

So the items I see connected on each node is something it already has assigned to them?

Sorry I am learning all of this system.

Thank you for taking the time to help me![emoji2]

One likely goal for an AiMesh system is seamless roaming using one SSID for the entire system for both bands.

Wireless\Professional\Roaming Assistant (per band) is node steering... encouraging the client to disconnect from a distant node so that it will connect to a closer node for a stronger signal. This feature is ON by default.

Wireless\General\Smart Connect is node band steering... encouraging the client to connect to the node band that offers the best performance. If supported by the router build, this feature is ON by default as far as I've seen.

If using Smart Connect, then wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If NOT using Smart Connect, then you will likely need to use separate SSIDs for each band so that you can configure your clients to connect to the desired band manually (like in the past).

In many ways, the router features extend to an AiMesh node on a system basis. But there are limits to this such as with Smart Connect. If a router does not support Smart Connect (i.e. AC1900/68U), that router as an AiMesh node will not support Smart Connect... and therefore, the entire system may not effectively support Smart Connect and may require the use of separate SSIDs for each band.

Ultimately, the client decides when to roam and which band to connect to. AiMesh intends to encourage this decision to achieve seamless (or near seamless) roaming. Some difficult clients may protest. Some users may want more control over which clients connect to which node and which band. Some users may want more control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel. Some routers may not support Smart Connect despite AiMesh marketing hype. And, AiMesh may not perform perfectly as intended... there could be radio interference, firmware defects, etc. Hence, these can be the issues... it's not simple.

Decide your goal, decide what you need to achieve it, and know what your compromises and potential issues will be.

OE

Last edited:
I've been running with the same SSID for my 1900P/68P mesh network without issue.

Assuming you do not have Smart Connect, then you may have smart clients! :)

OE

One likely goal for an AiMesh system is seamless roaming using one SSID for the entire system for both bands.

Wirelesss\Professional\Roaming Assistant is node steering... encouraging the client to disconnect from a distant node so that it will connect to a closer node for a stronger signal. This feature is ON by default.

Wireless\General\Smart Connect is node band steering... encouraging the client to connect to the node band that offers the best performance. If supported by the router build, this feature is ON by default as far as I've seen.

If using Smart Connect, then wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel will be adjusted automatically. If NOT using Smart Connect, then you will likely need to use separate SSIDs for each band so that you can configure your clients to connect to the desired band manually.

Ultimately, the client decides when to roam and which band to connect to. AiMesh intends to encourage this decision for seamless roaming. Some difficult clients may protest. Some users may want more control over which clients connect to which node and which band. Some users may want more control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel. Some routers may not support Smart Connect despite AiMesh marketing hype. And, AiMesh may not perform perfectly as intended... there could be radio interference, firmware defects, etc. Hence, these can be the issues... it's not simple.

Decide your goal, decide what you need to achieve it, and know what your compromises and potential issues will be.

OE

So I really need to make sure both are on in my system for best seamless proformce to start with.

All of my router and nodes support the smart connect from everything I have and seen

AC5300
AC1900p
AC3100

I just want the best seem less smoothest system I can have with Aimesh. I know it's trial and error work in process

Again thank you very much for your time and help on this!![emoji3] [emoji3]

The selection of the RT-AC68U was pretty deliberate, and price-focused. That looked like about the least expensive AiMesh capable router on the list when I was evaluating - but it's still $140-$150 a pop. At those prices, a three-node AiMesh kit is already as expensive as the best mesh kits. Spending even more per node than that would be kinda gonzo.

Hi Jim,
Any chance you can post some wireless trace between the nodes?
I just want to see whether or not ASUS is doing WDS on the backhaul link? And if they are using batman-adv or similar mesh protocols? I think the Eero is using batman-adv.

eero has done some work there ;)
Eero dev commit are shown in batman-adv repo, and there is a dev on reddit actively chatting about inner working of their mesh but never mentioned they use batman-adv. I just want to see some traces from current vendors since SNB is doing lots of tests on mesh, I figure SNB surely has traces to share.
Just want to see if some vendors are using some form of Wifi-Alliance EasyMesh and/or the QCA Mesh...

I figure SNB surely has traces to share.

Actually most don't - most of the stuff I find/discover of packets - I need to collect them myself.

There's a very small handful of folks that have the skills and tools to get to that level... nothing against fellow forum members, just saying what is...

Actually most don't - most of the stuff I find/discover of packets - I need to collect them myself.

There's a very small handful of folks that have the skills and tools to get to that level... nothing against fellow forum members, just saying what is...
:cool: So I have to do the old wardriving to collect the traces... do you have a "personal" collection of mesh traces you can share?
From all the reviews I only see throughput numbers, rarely anybody talk about the "secret sauce" if ever there are such, we all know 99% of current mesh implementation use QCA chipset so I am curious to know the underlying mesh protocol underneath and whether or not WDS 4-address is being used.

All of my router and nodes support the smart connect from everything I have and seen
AC5300
AC1900p
AC3100
Never heard or seen that AC1900 got Smart Connect, can you show your wireless/general tab?

I would like to have Smart Connect too, but without the possibility to set channel and bandwith it is useless for me.

Never heard or seen that AC1900 got Smart Connect, can you show your wireless/general tab?

I would like to have Smart Connect too, but without the possibility to set channel and bandwith it is useless for me.

I wonder... do other consumer mesh systems (Google, Orbi, etc.) restrict user control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel? My neighbor's Orbi sits on one 2.4 GHz channel at 40 MHz.

OE

I wonder... do other consumer mesh systems (Google, Orbi, etc.) restrict user control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel? My neighbor's Orbi sits on one 2.4 GHz channel at 40 MHz.
Thanks! Now my question is which one does NOT restrict user control over wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel? :)
My Fritz lets me set ch. 48-140 with 80 Mhz and mesh support with new firmware and they take care of EU-regulations!
Extension channels are predefined in 5G specs, so NOT changeable. They've learned and done a bit better than in 2G.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!