What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

About to give up on the Orbi RBK50 due to constant internet dropouts, and hence plan to give aimesh a try using my old RT-AC5300.

I'm considering the RT-AC86U to go with the AC5300, and based on what i have read here, it looks like the AC5300 should be used as the node rather than the router? I have ~20 devices connecting, and about 14 are in the vicinity of the router location.

Grateful for any suggestions.

I would suggest you try it if you must, but if you just want something working, use one as an AP instead and forget about AiMess for now. :)

can someone please tell me if the 5G is supposed to work on nodes as well? I have two 86U set up as AiMesh. The node is connected through ethernet cable and the connection between them is shown as wired as well. But the 5G only works on the main router, not on the node. 2G works fine on both.

can someone please tell me if the 5G is supposed to work on nodes as well? I have two 86U set up as AiMesh. The node is connected through ethernet cable and the connection between them is shown as wired as well. But the 5G only works on the main router, not on the node. 2G works fine on both.

Not sure, but I think this is what the new firmware (soon to be available, I hope!) addresses.

Yes, both bands should work on each node. There is an issue with losing the third band by current design, the second 5.0 band, on tri-band routers using AiMesh. Tri-band owners are hoping ASUS reverses this design decision.

I have seen configuration/update weirdness cause the 5.0 band to not broadcast. And, I've heard of failed hardware not broadcasting.

If you are just now commissioning your routers and AiMesh, I would start over, try again, and hope to recover your 5.0 band. See my install notes for advice, if you need it. Key item is to perform a factory default reset after updating the firmware.

If you had a working network that has now lost the node 5.0 band, I would reset and re-add that node to the AiMesh. Or, you could try this first.

Note that guest networks do not broadcast from remote nodes... yet.

OE

Not sure, but I think this is what the new firmware (soon to be available, I hope!) addresses.

Yes, both bands should work on each node. There is an issue with losing the third band by current design, the second 5.0 band, on tri-band routers using AiMesh. Tri-band owners are hoping ASUS reverses this design decision.

I have seen configuration/update weirdness cause the 5.0 band to not broadcast. And, I've heard of failed hardware not broadcasting.

If you are just now commissioning your routers and AiMesh, I would start over, try again, and hope to recover your 5.0 band. See my install notes for advice, if you need it. Key item is to perform a factory default reset after updating the firmware.

If you had a working network that has now lost the node 5.0 band, I would reset and re-add that node to the AiMesh. Or, you could try this first.

Note that guest networks do not broadcast from remote nodes... yet.

OE
Thank you for your replies. I had already written a long explanation of what I did to make it work and it didn't work but decided to hold on and reset both devices one more time when I reach back home from work. Strangely, 5G is working on node too now after resetting both devices. I had already reset these twice, interchanged their position because of both routers having same models and same firmware but it didn't work. Now after third time resetting, 5G has come alive on the node too. Strange. Sorry for all the trouble.

Thank you for your replies. I had already written a long explanation of what I did to make it work and it didn't work but decided to hold on and reset both devices one more time when I reach back home from work. Strangely, 5G is working on node too now after resetting both devices. I had already reset these twice, interchanged their position because of both routers having same models and same firmware but it didn't work. Now after third time resetting, 5G has come alive on the node too. Strange. Sorry for all the trouble.

No trouble! But it isn't surprising to me that it took more than a single reset to get things right again. :)

When I saw an 86U 5.0 band drop, it was on a working router node that I had just updated. I immediately doubted the update success, so I repeated the firmware upload, reset, and reinstalled AiMesh... that system has been working ever since on 21140.

Your recovery suggests a firmware issue, which is more likely than an intermittent hardware fault. If you did interchange router roles and the issue continued on the remote node (as you have implied), then this also suggests a firmware issue... the fault did not stick to the hardware.

I would use a WiFi Analyzer app to monitor the signal presence/stability over time. If you see no weirdness over time, you can begin to trust it was a firmware issue.

Also, I would leave all Trend Micro stuff disabled until the next firmware release. It seems to log some faults.

And way to go on your patience... troubleshooting requires persistence!

OE

About to give up on the Orbi RBK50 due to constant internet dropouts, and hence plan to give aimesh a try using my old RT-AC5300.

I'm considering the RT-AC86U to go with the AC5300, and based on what i have read here, it looks like the AC5300 should be used as the node rather than the router? I have ~20 devices connecting, and about 14 are in the vicinity of the router location.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Walder, I would suggest you look at my past posts as I have (almost) the setup you're looking to go (I have a AC68U) to and it couldn't be much worse. Well.....I GUESS it works ok, when it works. Really frustrating that about once a week, or every couple days, the roku in the living room, the thermostat, all the notebooks and phones that are currently using the AC68U, will drop wifi and it takes a couple of minutes to get it all back online. I've worked w/ Asus tech support for weeks on end about this and they can't determine the issue. I've had the routers within open SIGHT (ends of the hallway) of each other and had this happen. Signal strength and walls are not the problems.

I'm wondering if Mesh in general is ready for consumer use. Seeing your post about Orbi makes me wonder if they have problems too.

I havent been able to read through all of the posts yet, but I am looking into replaceing my google wifi, it is just not up to snuff, and is making me yearn my old trusty NT-R66U they replaced. Specially in regards to configuration options.

What is a good startingpoint for the main router and 1 node? Dual RT-AC1900?

2x RT-AC86U, but Aimesh still not fully functional for some (interruptions and no guest wifi-support on node).

What is a good startingpoint for the main router and 1 node? Dual RT-AC1900?

2xRT-AC86U. Here's a Micro Center deal (US):
https://www.microcenter.com/product...reless-ac-router---w--aimesh-support---2-pack

Two proprietary controls in ASUS AiMesh are Roaming Assistant node steering (node-to-node) and Smart Connect node band steering (band-to-band within a node). (Enabling Smart Connect requires using the same SSID for both bands). AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 builds do not support Smart Connect, so missing this helper for seamless, same SSID roaming.

OE

Last edited:
I have a question getting back to the original article that this thread is based on. In the conclusion section Jim states:
So even if you don't need the (Wi-Fi) mesh part of AiMesh and use Ethernet to connect all its nodes, it will give you worse performance than manually converting the routers to APs and configuring them yourself.
My question is on the "configuring them yourself" part above. If you wanted to skip AiMesh and configure two routers (say a AC86U as the router and a AC1900P as the WAP) how would you do that? Besides setting the SSIDs to be all the same is there anything else one would do? I have seen this touched on many times in these forums but I can't recall ever seeing a definitive statement on how to set this up.

Because its up to your needs!
Different SSIDs will allow to connect clients to a very router and/or band. And you will have more work to connect all clients to all wanted SSIDs.
Different channels may be better, but depends on your other seen networks around.
Roaming of clients will be better with Aimesh and SmartConnect (not supported on 68U), if problems with disconnects are solved (some got it others are fine, maybe clients related).
Guest network wont work, neither Aimesh nor manual APs.
There isnt the one and only answer.

I tried AiMesh for awhile in various combinations of routers (AC68, AC3100). I use all wired backhaul on a 1Gb switched network.

There were things I liked and things I didn't with AiMesh. I like the fact I could easily see which clients were connected to which nodes and I had a "dashboard" in the main router. I liked being able to do updates through a single router. I didn't like the loss of control of channel assignments. I didn't like the loss of access to individual routers' GUI. The only way I found to reboot an individual node was SSH or a physical reset. I also didn't like that my perfectly good AC66 routers couldn't "play" in AiMesh (I still used them in AP mode with the mesh). I use these older devices out in the detached garage and other places to cover outdoor access.

I just reverted to AP mode.

My house is tall and long and narrow and I'm fortunate to have pretty much full unfettered access to all spectrum of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz, bands. I also cover most of 2 acres with this setup. I'm running an AC3100 as the main router and 2 x AC3100 in AP mode in the house (upstairs center and each end down), 1 x AC68 in AP mode the main garage, 1 x AC66 in AP mode in Bus Garage, and 1 x AC66 in AP mode on covered patio. I also have an AC68 setup for AP mode that I can plug in outside on a post in the "back 40" for larger gatherings. Yup, the guy that built the house wired it well :) Yes, it's overkill but I'm retired and have the time and equipment kicking around :) I've included a snapshot of what the 5Hz looks like where I currently sit. It's a near perfect evening for WiFi here in Texas ;)

MY recommendations would be to begin basic
Leave the radio channel selection "Auto", set the same SSID/passcode on all routers/radios, and turn on/off all the same features people list in numerous posts (beamforming, roaming assistant, channel widths, ...). As you gain confidence and knowledge you can begin to use tools like "WiFi Analyzer" to pick channels if overlap becomes an issue and try different features.

FOR ME, AP mode allows me more granular control, isn't really any more complicated to set up, and allows me to continue to get use from older hardware. OH, it also allows me to use Merlin firmware :)

PS - I keep one saved config/profile for each hardware type that I have so I can readily reset and reload should the need arise. I've included my base wireless screenshots from a RT-AC3100 below.

I have a question getting back to the original article that this thread is based on. In the conclusion section Jim states:

My question is on the "configuring them yourself" part above. If you wanted to skip AiMesh and configure two routers (say a AC86U as the router and a AC1900P as the WAP) how would you do that? Besides setting the SSIDs to be all the same is there anything else one would do? I have seen this touched on many times in these forums but I can't recall ever seeing a definitive statement on how to set this up.

Attachments

• 2-4 General.JPG
    2-4 General.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 5 General.JPG
    5 General.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 394
  • 2-4 Professional.JPG
    2-4 Professional.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 5 Professional.JPG
    5 Professional.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 444
  • WiFi Analyzer.JPG
    WiFi Analyzer.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
FOR ME, AP mode allows me more granular control, isn't really any more complicated to set up, and allows me to continue to get use from older hardware. OH, it also allows me to use Merlin firmware :)
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree about the Merlin firmware. For me, the "DNSFilter" feature has been the only way to setup parental controls that actually protect the kids devices without breaking other stuff.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30355-how-to-add-an-access-point-to-a-wireless-router

Basically, the two other important things are channel assignment and placement. If APs have too much signal overlap, devices won't roam smoothly.
Thanks for the link. Its good to see these basic recommendations as a foundation.

I see that you wrote this over 10 years ago. Do you still recommend manually setting the channels? I would think with modern routers and congested airspace that it would be best to let the router and the AP just select their own channels.

Last edited:
I am running AIMESH AC86U main router and AC68U mesh node. Ethernet backhaul. Merlin's latest offering on both. Mesh works, but am seeing lots of log messages for the 68U wifi attempting to connect and being rejected by roaming assistant. Why would the mesh node attempt to connect to wifi?

I am running AIMESH AC86U main router and AC68U mesh node. Ethernet backhaul. Merlin's latest offering on both. Mesh works, but am seeing lots of log messages for the 68U wifi attempting to connect and being rejected by roaming assistant. Why would the mesh node attempt to connect to wifi?
If you have an ethernet backhaul switch over to AP mode for the secondary node(s). Much more control and flexibility. I wouldn't use AiMesh unless it was my last choice.

I've been running an AC68U as an AiMesh node upstairs with an AC86U as the router downstairs for a few weeks now and no issues so far. Both are currently on Merlin 384.17 and wireless backhaul only and all working well.

Prior to this, the AC86U replaced the AC68U as the only router a few years ago and the AC68U had just been sat on a shelf in its box, until I decided to give AiMesh a go. I've still got my N66U boxed up, which was the router before the AC68U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!