What's new

ASUS Announces RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I found it interesting ASUS didn't mentioned on AX86U page
View attachment 25465

Interesting. Based on SNB review photos, it appears that the AC86U internal antenna is an actual antenna inside the enclosure rather than a PCB antenna. However, a PCB antenna on some portion of the board should be fine.

After a couple days I am in a way surprised (positively).
That RT-AX86U is working away without any issues.
Set log level to 5 and the log is empty but the daily Auto Firmware check entry....
That's a first for me with Asus routers.

Set log level to 5 and the log is empty but the daily Auto Firmware check entry....
I see Amazon has them back in stock Sept 8th, really tempted to pull trigger and put up my AC86u for sale....

Last edited:
How did you change the log level on the RT-AX86U - I haven't been able to find any settings to change the logs? I've only ever seen it using Merlin firmware.

How did you change the log level on the RT-AX86U - I haven't been able to find any settings to change the logs? I've only ever seen it using Merlin firmware.
Enabled SSH settings (Admin - System) in the router settings and then used Putty (WIN10) to change the log level.

Asus Change log level using SSH and PuTTY software.jpg

Attachments

• PuTTY Asus Access.jpg
    PuTTY Asus Access.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 213
Enabled SSH settings (Admin - System) in the router settings and then used Putty (WIN10) to change the log level.

View attachment 25793
That's useful to know. Could you also elaborate on what the choices are (e.g., level 1 - level 5) and what the differences are? I know the system log levels are displayed in descriptive terms in the GUI on routers running on Merlin's firmware (not that I fully understood the differences), but of course, the RT-AX86U can currently only run on stock firmware.

That's useful to know. Could you also elaborate on what the choices are (e.g., level 1 - level 5) and what the differences are? I know the system log levels are displayed in descriptive terms in the GUI on routers running on Merlin's firmware (not that I fully understood the differences), but of course, the RT-AX86U can currently only run on stock firmware.
I have no idea, sorry, not a pro here :)

There are basically eight log levels which a message sent by the linux kernel can adopt, starting from level 0 and decreasing in severity 'till level 7: the lowest log level identifier, the most critical context.

I use it with Smart Connect enabled. I have 2 iPhones (iPhone 7 and iPhone 11) and they somehow don't like to steer towards the 5GHz band even thought they show
around -57 dBm...they do but only when they are are closer to the router...
On the RT-AC86U that was no issue. Default Smart Connect rules.... For now using Wireless MAC Filter (reject on 2.4GHz)...
The Steering Trigger is set to greater than -62 to steer to 5GHz so at -57 is should for sure be on 5GHz.?!
Something doesn't compute, maybe me?
Any advice?

Annotation 2020-08-27 155307.jpg

does anyone know if you can turn off ax mode?i'm assuming so since I don't have any ax devices yet.

I use it with Smart Connect enabled. I have 2 iPhones (iPhone 7 and iPhone 11) and they somehow don't like to steer towards the 5GHz band even thought they show
around -57 dBm...they do but only when they are are closer to the router...
On the RT-AC86U that was no issue. Default Smart Connect rules.... For now using Wireless MAC Filter (reject on 2.4GHz)...
The Steering Trigger is set to greater than -62 to steer to 5GHz so at -57 is should for sure be on 5GHz.?!
Something doesn't compute, maybe me?
Any advice?

View attachment 25815
I don't use smart connect yet...but I found this article..maybe it'll help you.

does anyone know if you can turn off ax mode?i'm assuming so since I don't have any ax devices yet.
Wireless - General > 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode: Disable
[ If compatibility issue occurs when enabling 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode, please check: FAQ }

In stock at Newegg:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!