What's new

ASUS announces the new Quad-Band ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 ushering in 10GbE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still consider it in the good value category which it's ok if you may disagree about

I don't know, perhaps works for you. Try to help this guy here:

There are more than one threads with similar issues. Do your 7x routers show consistent Gigabit up/down speeds, for example?

I don't know, perhaps works for you. Try to help this guy here:

There are more than one threads with similar issues. Do your 7x routers show consistent Gigabit up/down speeds, for example?
Not everyone is experiencing those 1Gb max speed related issues. It seems to be an issue particularly effecting AX86U users with Verizon internet service. His results seem to vary fairly significantly depending on what speed test he uses which makes me question the source of the issue. I am not a fan of only using online speed tests to evaluate equipment performance. I already commented to that user regarding his problems in that thread. It's an issue that I would like to be on-site before evaluating.

Unless you tried a different AX router there is no telling whether or not other AX routers with similar components (BC chips, etc.) wouldn't have similar problems with his setup. I don't have 1Gb internet service but I haven't had a single problem with any of my AX86U routers.

Last edited:
I don't have 1Gb internet service but I haven't had a single problem with any of my AX86U routers.

Well... you don't know either. You never had a chance to see if there is a problem. This is the thing - "the best for me" is different from "the best" in general. This is what we discussed in previous threads. You insisted your choice is the best router Asus ever made. If you ask Asus - it's AXE11000 for $550. If you ask someone with 20Mbps xDSL ISP and 5-10 devices - it's AX56U for $100 on sale. Asus with AX16000 is targeting the same group of people who think AXE11000 is current best. I see "we did it first" marketing involved.

Last edited:
Well... you don't know either. You never had a chance to see if there is a problem. This is the thing - "the best for me" is different from "the best" in general. This is what we discussed in previous threads. You insisted your choice is the best router Asus ever made. If you ask Asus - it's AXE11000 for $550. If you ask someone with 20Mbps xDSL ISP and 5-10 devices - it's AX56U for $100 on sale. Asus with AX16000 is targeting the same group of people who think AXE11000 is current best. I see "we did it first" marketing involved.
Hey maybe we can put a rocket pack on it and double its value. (sounds like very sound science). I guess Asus is trying to stream line the office router to all the office folk stuck in the house due to covid. The CEO that won the most ridiculous router concept would be so proud.

Well... you don't know either. You never had a chance to see if there is a problem. This is the thing - "the best for me" is different from "the best" in general. This is what we discussed in previous threads. You insisted your choice is the best router Asus ever made. If you ask Asus - it's AXE11000 for $550. If you ask someone with 20Mbps xDSL ISP and 5-10 devices - it's AX56U for $100 on sale. Asus with AX16000 is targeting the same group of people who think AXE11000 is current best.
I didn't say I knew what the source of his max 1Gb speed issues were. I offered ways I would diagnose the problem and I didn't get adequate replies back on my suggestions so there was nothing else I could help with. What suggestions did you give to help find the source of that user's AX86U issues?.... Replace it, it's broken, it's not the router for you... Real helpful suggestions. :rolleyes:

The AX86U being "The Best Asus router" always was clearly stated as my own opinion and it was an opinion time specific at the time of my post. The best was always based on my evaluation of price and performance verses other Wifi 6 routers available at the time. Of course better performing routers will come out in the future. How much more obvious should that be? ... This was what was so baffling how you would dedicate multiple posts and threads trying to belittle and knit pick another forum contributor's opinion.

Your only argument was that problems might pop up after two years. Well... duh. Of course they could. o_O

Last edited:
Are the ports 10 gig Nbase-t or just 10 gig? You require Nbase-t to support 2.5 gig and 5 gig connections?

The CEO that won the most ridiculous router concept would be so proud.

I suggest "Business Port" next to the "Gaming Port". The perfect solution for Home Office environment. :)

Your only argument was that problems might pop up after two years.

You never know. When you upgrade to Gigabit you may find 5 of 7 routers defective, but with warranty expired. :)

I suggest "Business Port" next to the "Gaming Port". The perfect solution for Home Office environment. :)
Zoom Accelerator Port?

They don't connect to all of them simultaneously. A router does, so it requires one separate radio for each band.
I didn't know current Wifi 6 routers did (except for within 5Ghz combine bands for data throughput) but apparently Wifi 7 routers will.

"Multiband and multichannel operation will let devices connect over more than one wireless band, allowing a tri-band router to combine multiple connections to feed devices data. With 4K video streaming and online gaming chewing through more home data than ever before, and connected home devices nibbling at your connection throughout the day, the need for a more robust Wi-Fi solution is already here, and the need will only continue to grow..."

802.11ad is pretty much a bust. Highly specialized usage scenario.
Not enough range. The proposed 802.11ay was supposedly going to improve on it. Therefore it still might offer future usefulness in line of sight or same room consumer device applications. Qualcomm has developed 60Ghz chipsets.

A big advantage is that they require very low power which is an advantage in an era full of smaller devices like smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc.. designed to save as much battery power as possible.

Last edited:
Luckily, AX is efficient.

Therefore, If you happen to live next door to that guy that's broadcasting 10+ different AP's on all frequencies, the most likely outcome is he's only using 0.1% of spectrum most of the time.

The prices will come down. 200Mbps service for $49.99/mo is already the basic service from many providers like Spectrum.

Apple has offered 10GbE ports as an option on their desktops for a few years. The new normal is just around the corner. It's already become a mainstream computer option for average consumers. Wanting 10GbE on a router is really a no brainer even if it's used in marketing to entice computer and networking enthusiasts. As a practical argument I could probably get by fine using my old Linksys WRT54G routers with 100Mb Ethernet for my networks. They still work fine but many would consider doing that silly.
Where do the valid points come in? Apple in nearly every instance cannot be compared. Apple also only offer 10GbE LAN on their expensive $5000+ Pro Systems with only a few exceptions where they offer on their mid high-end tiers and even then, you are talking over $1000 entry. For Apple it is more gimmick than anything and not pushed to the average consumer. Pushing 10GBE through a switch or router and at that with multiple devices, requires beefy enough hardware, and why we are not there just yet. For the Asus GT-AX16000, I mentioned, the 2 10GbE ports are a start to possibly allowing entry and better pricing for 10GbE hardware, but it does not happen overnight, and the use cases are still small for the average home user. That is why it was introduced in a high-end consumer gaming router first. Still adds an expense, but in this case, the hope is the gamers and enthusiast will buy in first and ignite the purchase for other 10GbE multigig equipment. By the next 1-2 irritations, we may see 2.5Gbps-10Gbps start to become normal and fluctuate down to the more mainstream routers. That may still be 1-3yrs though and it matters on the market too.

There are still areas where 20 to barely 100Mbps is still standard. Not all regions and locations are the same. Also, the wireless spectrum was not designed just for pure speed, it also was designed for distance, multiple device support at once (MU-MIMO, etc.), less interference, and security, so stating you could use an old Linksys WRT54G router, would be a moot point, as even some newer devices would not work with it requiring an upgrade. Not everything was for the sake of speed.

I don't have a problem with providing sources of information. I don't have a problem with someone questioning something I post. Maybe I did have mistaken memory or maybe not. But I do have a problem with someone who doesn't seem to try to engage in a constructive back and forth conversation especially when my past experience has proven to me otherwise.

How about answering my previous question(s) before throwing selective and targeting type questions back at me... like a normal, respectful back and forth online conversation is supposed to be....

"When is the last time you spent $12,000 on a Windows PC with cutting edge graphics memory, processing, storage and cooling?"

I do not know why you keep referring to building of a $12K gaming PC to justify anything? I build custom computers and have spent average $3000-6000 for a top end gaming PC. Usually the graphics card, motherboard, M.2 SSD, CPU, and memory will be the most expensive. The cooling aspect for dual rads and cooling on the CPU and GPU comes in around $500-700 of that price. The main components are what can drive the price and 12K is more of exotic PC building if you must know.....But trying to figure out how we got off topic from talking about this new ASUS Wireless router and networking in general? :rolleyes:

This is correct. Nothing similar is available on consumer market. What about the routers? Mine will go EOS at the end of the year. I'm thinking about 3x Netgate 6100 units. Any advanced technology on consumer market to think about? I need working Dual WAN and VLAN's support.

As fast as possible actually, barely working to sell. Enough experience with Draft X routers, MU-MIMO, OFDMA. First adopters pay for promises. Some never get what was promised. Some are just lied to what the equipment is capable of. Remember the first RT-AC88U with MU-MIMO and SoC with non-working MU-MIMO? Remember the nice pictures how the router shoots beams to 10 clients at the same time? Excellent premium technology.
Advanced technology......Custom build a fast 6-12+ core, 16GB+ DDR3/4, 1-2 Dual 10GbE rack firewall server running Pfsense. Gives you future expandability....oh wait that would not be exactly consumer grade now....;)

I remember some of those promises. In fact, ASUS had the feature, but did not activate it as standard immediately as the firmware was not completely ready. There were a few others, that had trouble with 1st gen routers working with some of those promised features, that it was not really corrected until 2nd-3rd irritation of the hardware. Early adopter fun there.

What I think about this AX16000 router - it will be 2-3 years old when people start actually using 6GHz capable clients, not phones or tablets. By that time it is only a niche product for people who want "the best", but don't know what the best is. For you AX86U is the best Asus router, but for someone with no clue AX11000 is the best just because "tri-band">dual band and 11000>5700. This is who AX16000 is for. The 6GHz radio will serve one new iPhone.
See I thought that too about the 6Ghz band, until I saw all the announcements at CES. Take AMD for instance. There new Rembrandt APUs will be packing a punch and they are adding the WiFi 6E to them out of the gate. It seems like every company is jumping on WiFi6E quickly this go around, so I want to say that the 6Ghz band may come in handy this go around. Still may be niche to some extent, but also may see quicker adoption rate than with just standard WiFi 6. Time and marketing will tell.

Well, as soon as Merlin supports the AXE11000 it becomes the best on the market. :) For consumer grade, that's my opinion at least.. of course none of this competes with Cisco etc.

I think you nailed something here, it's the quality / QA that you acquire that matters. Buying based on "specs" isn't very bright. Eg. avoiding Apple products because they "don't have great specs for the money" is a small part of what one should be considering. Same with everything. I have a Ryzen rig that while the CPU was great, the USB and overall wonkiness compared to my Intel rig is undeniable. Sometimes you pay more for what appears as "marketing" but is really just better quality (assurance).

For me, I can't justify more than Asus routers that support Asuswrt-Merlin.. but I'm under no illusions that this stuff is the "best". Otherwise multibillion dollar corporations would be running Asus AC66U_B1s. They aren't.
If having problems with USB on Ryzen, check for a firmware update from your motherboard vendor. AMD did have some teething issues with Ryzen and the newer chipsets with USB, and have since fixed the issue. I can get more bandwidth and stable USB on my Ryzen rig with stability and it edges out an Intel rig I had. Also depending on board manufacture, some had their own issues, with no fault at AMD on that.

As for me I got the ASUS GT-AX11000 when it first hit market, due to specs, research, and reviews showing it was one of the most capable routers and could practically hit its full theoretical bandwidth while giving you the distance. The plus part was Merlin and Asus collaborated to add Merlin WRT to a few ROG GT routers and the AX11000 was on the list. I did have to go back to stock firmware due to some updates including security, and the fact Merlin WRT at the time was stuck in limbo with the 386.4 firmware. I have my RT-3100 on the final 386.4 firmware and may soon move the GT-AX11000 back to it. I do not use the routing features, and actually run them in AP mode, as my PfSense Firewall router does all the heavy lifting and major security, but still get the benefits of the full WiFi features. I also learned to not lock myself down and base off one particular firmware. I like Merlin WRT, but sometimes, I will base off of features, needs, and future expandability.  Usually it all works out though.:)

I do not know why you keep referring to building of a $12K gaming PC to justify anything? I build custom computers and have spent average $3000-6000 for a top end gaming PC. Usually the graphics card, motherboard, M.2 SSD, CPU, and memory will be the most expensive. The cooling aspect for dual rads and cooling on the CPU and GPU comes in around $500-700 of that price. The main components are what can drive the price and 12K is more of exotic PC building if you must know.....But trying to figure out how we got off topic from talking about this new ASUS Wireless router and networking in general? :rolleyes:
It's not off topic at all. When following the previous posts the topic is directly related to the cost of high end routers like the GT-AXE16000 and whether there is a market for technologically loaded features like higher speed SoCs and 10GbE ports. I had made a previous post of some router specs I would like to see that go above and beyond this latest Asus router.

My reply you refer to was in response to RMerlin's original comments that expensive routers for example using many 10GbE and 5GbE or 2.5GbE ports don't have a much of market place for consumers right now. It wasn't the $12K price of a PC that was my main point. It was an example that there is a huge market for gamers and enthusiasts willing to pay for high priced equipment that is driving the entire computer and networking development. They pay a premium for cutting edge graphics cards, high end processors, networking equipment like routers and full systems. The business market is a large market but that isn't part of this consumer based market that we as Asus router owners are directly impacted by.

There is also the growing professional home user market where workers don't have access to the same equipment they had at work so they are upgrading their home computer and networking infrastructure. These users also are willing to pay a premium for higher end consumer equipment such as Asus routers including those marketed as high end gaming routers.

Last edited:
Where do the valid points come in? Apple in nearly every instance cannot be compared. Apple also only offer 10GbE LAN on their expensive $5000+ Pro Systems with only a few exceptions where they offer on their mid high-end tiers and even then, you are talking over $1000 entry. For Apple it is more gimmick than anything and not pushed to the average consumer. Pushing 10GBE through a switch or router and at that with multiple devices, requires beefy enough hardware, and why we are not there just yet. For the Asus GT-AX16000, I mentioned, the 2 10GbE ports are a start to possibly allowing entry and better pricing for 10GbE hardware, but it does not happen overnight, and the use cases are still small for the average home user. That is why it was introduced in a high-end consumer gaming router first. Still adds an expense, but in this case, the hope is the gamers and enthusiast will buy in first and ignite the purchase for other 10GbE multigig equipment. By the next 1-2 irritations, we may see 2.5Gbps-10Gbps start to become normal and fluctuate down to the more mainstream routers. That may still be 1-3yrs though and it matters on the market too.

There are still areas where 20 to barely 100Mbps is still standard. Not all regions and locations are the same. Also, the wireless spectrum was not designed just for pure speed, it also was designed for distance, multiple device support at once (MU-MIMO, etc.), less interference, and security, so stating you could use an old Linksys WRT54G router, would be a moot point, as even some newer devices would not work with it requiring an upgrade. Not everything was for the sake of speed.
There were replies to my post where I expressed the desire to see more 10GbE and 5Gbe/2.5GbE ports on Asus routers. They said there was no market for it. I was giving an example where 10GbE is already offered as an option on consumer equipment like desktop computers and it has been offered as an affordable option by Apple for almost four years... and no...the $1.5K to $2K Mac Mini desktop (which I myself considered the 10GgE port option for) is not a mid-high end tier Apple desktop. It was considered one of their least expensive entry level desktops compared to Apple's other desktop options.

10GbE is not a marketing gimmick. Even if users don't have an immediate use for that feature they want to future proof their equipment. Apple and other companies wouldn't be offering it at all unless there was a real market for it.

I completely disagree that 20 to 100Mbps is still a standard. I know of companies that still use twenty five year old PCs that run DOS and interface with them using ISA bus cards, Parallel ports and COM ports but that doesn't make them still a standard. If ISP's least expensive basic home internet service is 200Mbps why would anyone have anything less than 1Gb capable networking equipment? 1Gb Ethernet is already a twenty year old technology itself. 2.5/5/10GbE capable equipment will be displacing it very soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!