What's new

Asus AX options for brother

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

My brother is a tight butt and I said to go buy the AX86U pro, but he's like that's a wife hurdle for total $ 🧐🤣 sooooooo, what would be close but a step down in Asus for AX and close to what it does, but a little cheaper in the 199 ish range that is still good enought to handle a lot of wifi traffic as well as gig internet consistantly?? @L&LD

Everything will eventually be in the $199-ish range. I'd wait for a GT-AX6000 to go on sale. The 'pro' offers minimal incentive to buy it today.

What is the current price that the tight butt isn't willing to pay now? :)

It better be $150-200 or I'm gonna tell im to piss off 🤣 currently he asked my opinion but he's sending me $99 rando options currently 😖

so let's say 150-200 price window @L&LD

Last edited:
currently he asked my opinion but he's sending me $99 rando options currently 😖

Buy cheap, buy twice?

Saw your post yesterday, saw this price on amazon today:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L8PCTPT/?tag=snbforums-20

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 Dual-Band WiFi 6 Extendable Gaming Router, Dual 2.5G Ports​

Buy new:​

$249.99​

That's the price I got mine at, and the lowest I have seen. This model started out at $400.

good enough to handle a lot of wifi traffic as well as gig internet consistently??

The GT-AX6000 is easily good enough to handle a lot of wifi traffic, and, handles 1gbps internet perfectly with its 2.5 gbps ports.

(1 gpbs ports leave some speed on the table due to ethernet overhead, a 1gbps connection will measure out about 940 on a 1gbps ethernet port, and will be 1000 mbps or more on a 2.5 mbps port--and, supposedly speeds faster than 1gbps are "coming soon".)

L&LD said "I'd wait for a GT-AX6000 to go on sale."

It's on sale. Tell your brother to get it, because it will just work and checks all the boxes.

My brother is a tight butt and I said to go buy the AX86U pro, but he's like that's a wife hurdle for total $ 🧐🤣 sooooooo, what would be close but a step down in Asus for AX and close to what it does, but a little cheaper in the 199 ish range that is still good enought to handle a lot of wifi traffic as well as gig internet consistantly?? @L&LD
If one is in the United States and has a Best Buy close by they could try working the Best Buy network equipment Trade In Program to get 15% off the RT-AX86U Pro. They could nock the price down to around $212.49 from $249.99 before any local sales taxes.

Or just wait for the mid range to higher end RT-AX series or GT-AX series routers to go on sale, which they do from time to time. Otherwise there are lower end AX series routers (like the RT-AX86S) available for under $200 on Amazon.

If you want a Asus-Merlin supported AX series router, make sure to check the Asus-Merlin about page for supported routers.

It better be $150-200 or I'm gonna tell im to piss off 🤣 currently he asked my opinion but he's sending me $99 rando options currently
Look for RT-AX86S under 150 USD, they've been on sale for as low as $130.
If the brother has small needs, models priced below $100 may be enough.