What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had some issues where my firestick and tablet would have a very low TX rate on 5GHz. This happened 3 times in the last 2 days. One time every device had a low TX rate.

Going back to 386.7_2 which has been rock solid for me.

Low TX rate is nothing (well very little) to do with the Asus, the device is in low power mode, normal behavior. Was it causing some sort of issue? It will ramp back up when needed.

My firestick would not load any data and I had to restart the firestick for it to work again.

My firestick would not load any data and I had to restart the firestick for it to work again.

May be some sort of bug with power saving in the newer firmware. Both devices advertise their ability but never heard of one getting "stuck" in power save mode due to the AP/Router. Guess it isn't impossible though. It may have just been that you noticed that when troubleshooting, and the issue was actually something totally different related to the signal.

ah ok. I may do a factory reset if I feel like it this weekend with the new firmware, becasue my 5Ghz signal was a little stronger.

388.2 did use a little more memory too. I'm already back to 83 MB of free memory on 386.7_2, while I had about 63MB of free memory on 388.2

Thanks

ah ok. I may do a factory reset if I feel like it this weekend with the new firmware, becasue my 5Ghz signal was a little stronger.

388.2 did use a litle more memory too. I'm already back to 83 MB of free memory on 386.7_2, while I had about 63MB of free memory on 388.2

Thanks

Oh just noticed you said dirty upgrade. Yeah definitely need to do factory reset when going to a new code base (386 to 388).

I wouldn't worry about free memory unless you're running lots of addons and even then, 63 is probably plenty.

I was able to do a factory reset yesterday and things have been running smooth on 388.2 for 24 hours now.

I stopped using custom pictures for my client icons and turned off app analysis, web history and traffic analyzer. Can't remember the last time I looked at that data anyway lol My free memory is about 82 MB now.

I'll report back if I have any issues.

I've had this router for a while and the 5Ghz disappears usually only when I change some random settings in the router (like add fixed IP adresses and such). It's very irritable.

However, as suggested at the beginning, changing channels to maybe 44 or something else will usually fix it. Try that first.

I read "reset firmware" in every other post here... that's just a really bad suggestion overall. I don't wanna spend half an afternoon reconfiguring my router to end up missing 5Ghz again just because it feels like it...

How long did you wait for the 5GHz band to be 'up' again?

Note too that toggling some settings on/off isn't the same as leaving those settings at defaults in the first place. Usually, a full reset is required at that point to get the router back to a good/known state.

Save your configuration to a backup config file. Perform a full reset of the router. Test. If the test doesn't work, simply reset once more, and import the backup config files you saved. Hardly half an afternoon's worth of work involved.

Since I own one of these and use ASWRT, can I assume these issues are occurring only with those that use Merlin?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!