What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I do care about correct information posted. There is a difference between knowing and guessing.

I do care about correct information posted. There is a difference between knowing and guessing.

I posted a link to the Asuswrt-Merlin Support Wiki in response to a specific question about how to install Asuswrt-Merlin. The relevant wiki information is correct. Go pester the wiki author if you feel it should include additional information about every transient firmware defect you suspect... show someone else how much you care.

OE

You have posted a link to Asuswrt-Merlin AiMesh support page with information last edited on Aug 1, 2019. It's around 384.12 firmware version and perhaps it was accurate back then for AiMesh 1.0. When 386.7 came out I did report once again the issue (all 386 AiMesh 2.0 are affected) and the response is below (a good explanation from RMerlin why it eventually happens). Again, there is nothing personal here. Extra information saves time to people who ask specific questions. I understand you're trying to help, but some things you haven't seen because your routers run stock Asuswrt.

I see no problem providing more up-to-date information and I'm ready to describe the solution as well, if requested. AiMesh 2.0 in Asuswrt-Merlin does work, but needs a little extra setup steps. Peace!

Reactions: OPR
Honestly, you're both right. AIMesh, in particular, is a bugfest, when it comes to node joining (and not just on Merlin). AC68U's sometimes fail to add at all, and can sometimes be fixed by adding via ethernet after a multi-reboot dance. This one above for AC86U's and others. One could try to keep up to date on these procedures, but you would be spending more time than Asus is, on fixing them, apparently.

...as to this thread, a lightning strike took out both my AX86U AND 68U. Given the replacement cost is so close, and this bug seems to persist, I'm probably going to go for an 86S, as a node, and wait for an 86 Pro, for the router. Asus can't get their act together, recently.

AX86U main + AX86S node is a good choice. Both routers use the same firmware (updated at the same time) and have the same radios (less confusion for clients where to connect, chance for better roaming).

AX86U main + AX86S node is a good choice. Both routers use the same firmware (updated at the same time) and have the same radios (less confusion for clients where to connect, chance for better roaming).

Yep - same thought. The 86S wasn't available at time of purchasing the 68U, but the tea leaves seem to point to the 68U being an afterthought, if not on the way out.

if not on the way out

Looking at the last firmware release feedback, very few will notice.

One only person actively advertises AX68U on SNB Forums and with no big success.

Gah - i just found a mistake in my thinking. The 86 Pro won't be a radio match. Even the vanilla 86U is probably overkill for my setup, so I'll just look for a deal there.

Hey, Asus released firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50427 on Oct 12, 22 for the AX68U. Anyone tried it yet? I'm wondering the the 5Ghz radio disconnecting issue is resolved.

Hey, Asus released firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50427 on Oct 12, 22 for the AX68U. Anyone tried it yet? I'm wondering the the 5Ghz radio disconnecting issue is resolved.
Just updated, will let you know in a few weeks.

Previously on 3.0.0.4.386.49479 I only had the 5Ghz band disappearing once or twice every month, still a nuisance specially when it happened during work calls.

Lets hope it's fixed now, besides the release notes being quite small and no wireguard support (AX86S has the same SoC CPU so why upsell schemes ASUS?)... no beta firmwares and updates few and far between are in my view tarnishing this quite nice router.

After a dirty flash with the firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50427 I noticed a bug that randomly showed one of the two cores being at 100% when there was no activity that justified it.

Also via http://192.168.50.1/ajax_coretmp.asp the SoC temperatures were the same as in idle state so this leads me to believe that there is an issue with the CPU core usage readouts in this release.

I then did a restore to factory defaults and so far that issue appears to be fixed. Will see in the next few days. Also, so far the 5Ghz network is rock stable (knock on wood).

Been on 50427 for 7 days now and 5Ghz Wi-Fi has been solid. I dirty flashed from Merlin 386.7_2.

Previous stock firmware caused my 5Ghz radio to become unstable after a day or 2.

If anything changes, I'll update this post.

Edit:

5Ghz is still good after 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the updates.

Going to upgrade this weekend from the May 2021 firmware release. Any other issues i should be aware of before I proceed?

Thanks for all the updates.

Going to upgrade this weekend from the May 2021 firmware release. Any other issues i should be aware of before I proceed?
I haven’t had any issue with the 50427 firmware. I use it in AP mode (have not tested the AX68 as AImesh node or in router mode with the latest firmware).

I haven’t had any issue with the 50427 firmware. I use it in AP mode (have not tested the AX68 as AImesh node or in router mode with the latest firmware).
I've hard reset the my AX68u and upgraded to the 50427 firmware as well, but the 5Ghz still feels kind of spotty to me. I'm using my AX68u in AP mode as well. Do you have Wifi 6 mode enabled?. how about wifi agile multiband? Wireless mode, control channel extension channel all auto? Group Key rotation interval still default 3600? Thx

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!