What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've hard reset the my AX68u and upgraded to the 50427 firmware as well, but the 5Ghz still feels kind of spotty to me. I'm using my AX68u in AP mode as well. Do you have Wifi 6 mode enabled?. how about wifi agile multiband? Wireless mode, control channel extension channel all auto? Group Key rotation interval still default 3600? Thx

Wifi 6: enabled
Wifi agile multiband: disabled
Wireless mode: auto
Control channel 36
Channel bandwidth: 80 mhz
Extention channel: auto
Smart connect: off
Group key rotation interval: 3600
Airtime fairness: disabled
Multi-user MIMO: enabled
AX/AC beamforming: enabled
Universal beamforming: disabled

What do you mean with “kind of spotty”?

Wifi 6: enabled
Wifi agile multiband: disabled
Wireless mode: auto
Control channel 36
Channel bandwidth: 80 mhz
Extention channel: auto
Smart connect: off
Group key rotation interval: 3600
Airtime fairness: disabled
Multi-user MIMO: enabled
AX/AC beamforming: enabled
Universal beamforming: disabled

What do you mean with “kind of spotty”?
Oh thx for the info...why is ax/Ac beamforming enabled but not universal?...by spotty I just mean I still get occasional disconnects from some of my wifi devices and sometimes I get "no internet" when connected to my 5Ghz wifi. Hoping to get a stable signal.

Oh thx for the info...why is ax/Ac beamforming enabled but not universal?...by spotty I just mean I still get occasional disconnects from some of my wifi devices and sometimes I get "no internet" when connected to my 5Ghz wifi. Hoping to get a stable signal.
With AX/AC beamforming (or explicit beamforming) both router and client devices work actively together to improve signal strength and throughput.

With Universal beamforming (or implicit beamforming) only the router tries to improve the transmission to the client without active input from the client.

The first beamforming mode is supposed to be fine according to what I read on this forum. The second does not work well and is mostly adviced to be turned off.

Firmware v. 3.0.0.4.388.21732 working great here since yesterday. I've been back and forth with ASUS regarding an issue that would jump the CPU usage to 100% without apparent reason on the 3.0.0.4.386.50427 firmware and it looks like its solved.

Nonetheless great to see WireGuard support for this model.

With AX/AC beamforming (or explicit beamforming) both router and client devices work actively together to improve signal strength and throughput.

With Universal beamforming (or implicit beamforming) only the router tries to improve the transmission to the client without active input from the client.

The first beamforming mode is supposed to be fine according to what I read on this forum. The second does not work well and is mostly adviced to be turned off.
On my current AC68P there is 802.11ac beamforming AND Universal.. are you suggesting that only Universal should be enabled? I ask since I'm about to get the AX68U this week and want to configure it for the best possible range and speed. Thanks

Hi, I purchased a ASUS AX68U last week and am having a problem with the 5GHz band disappearing and all connections dropping. Initially set it up with separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with some devices connected to each band. All of a sudden the 5 GHz disappears and no devices can connect to it. Was running the latest stock firmware and no changes to default settings. Can get it back working in the "Network Map" screen, under "System Status", by pressing the "Apply" button. Happens on a daily basis.

Did a hard factory reset (hold WPS button and turn on) and set up the network again, this time with one SSID for both bands (Dual Band Smart Connect). Was working for a day then all of a sudden, all the devices moved over to the 2.4GHz band. The 5 GHz band disappeared again. Hitting the Apply button like above resolved.

Any solutions to this or should I return?
If this is still an issue (for you or anyone else) I ran into this when I accidentally selected "Enable Smart Connect" in the Wireless section of the config. What this will do is merge both your 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs into a single SSID using your 2.4GHz SSID name.

Voila, now your 5GHz is gone - well, not really. 5GHz still exists. Connections are now being steered into the correct band based on a set of rules under the same SSID.

Now if you are playing around with your settings and you turn off "Enable Smart Connect", you'll think you should just get that 5GHz band SSID back, but you won't. It'll split the bands again, but it will keep the 5GHz band name the same as the 2.4GHz. You can just rename it in the General section under "Network Name (SSID)". As obvious as it may seem, I didn't catch this little "feature" until after a reset and playing around with it for a while. Luckily, I backed up my old config and was able to fix it.

No issues with 5GHz here. I'm using the latest official firmware 3.0.0.4.388_21732-g0837a3a
Just set up my new AX68U using the same firmware. Where advanced settings are concerned, do you go with defaults with wireless and WAN settings? I changed the DNS to Google which is what I've sworn by for years. But I decided to enable the AI protection on this router but do not want to enable the PnP thing. I also disable Universal Beamforming since most of the members say its best..Amazing coverage with this router and the setup was seamless

I'm using AX68u as well and having the same issue, wifi 2.4 works just fine but 5g works for a while then can't connect.
The router disappoints me coz I an asus fan since rt-n16.

Thinking about returning it too.
I just set up a new RT-AX68U after using an AC68P for years. Are you using Merlin or ASWRT? I'm finding the range superior and speed better than my AC router and love the design as well. Set up was easy as with all Asus routers since I stick with ASWRT. I've yet to have dropped signals and live in a WiFi congested area too. Great router and a big improvement

@jontalk, you should update your signature then. :)

@jontalk, you should update your signature then. :)
Speaking of signatures, what does the wired backhaul thing mean? Also wondering if I can attribute pages loading faster etc to the processor with the AX68U. I decided to implement AIProtection with this router as well which was something I hadn't done with my AC routers :)

When you have two or more AiMesh routers, you can connect them wirelessly or wired, LAN (from the main router) to WAN (of AiMesh node) ports, (that is the 'backhaul' method(s) we can use).

With appropriate hardware, you also have the choice to use the 2.5GbE Ports to connect them via wired too, as I have done with my network.

Yes, the responsiveness of the network is readily demonstrated with AX-class equipment. Better hardware, better wireless protocols (even with AC-class clients) and better RF design all contribute to the higher overall experience

When you have two or more AiMesh routers, you can connect them wirelessly or wired, LAN (from the main router) to WAN (of AiMesh node) ports, (that is the 'backhaul' method(s) we can use).

With appropriate hardware, you also have the choice to use the 2.5GbE Ports to connect them via wired too, as I have done with my network.

Yes, the responsiveness of the network is readily demonstrated with AX-class equipment. Better hardware, better wireless protocols (even with AC-class clients) and better RF design all contribute to the higher overall experience
Thanks so much for the explanation. I was going to upgrade my Internet speed but I'm finding pages are loading quicker with the AX router :)

Now that I've had it for nearly a week, I'm amazed at how cool it runs as compared to all the AC routers I had..Asus really upped their game with these AX routers and I'm very happy too :)

Just wanted to report that my 5 GHz signal is even better since my dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.2. Everything has been running smooth for 48 hours now.

Thank you Merlin!

I had some issues where my firestick and tablet would have a very low TX rate on 5GHz. This happened 3 times in the last 2 days. One time every device had a low TX rate.

Going back to 386.7_2 which has been rock solid for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!