What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi rgnldo,
thanks for your info, but you are talking about the AC68U which has no problem and in this thread we are talking about the RT-AX68U !!!

Hello folks,
as discussed i want to give you a new update.
After a long time and further information to Asus, i have now received new positive information!!!
Asus was actually able to reproduce the bug (Node / 5GHz) on the RT-AX68U.
I have the information that they are looking for a solution and will then inform me.
So the chances are big that a fix will be made by the next update!!
Hopefully also the sometimes wrong Radio menue in the Node management will be fixed.

regards

Good news MrAsusIsBack. Was Asus able to reproduce the 5 ghz issue for the AX68u working as an AImesh node or as AP? Both modes have the issue for me.

Hi MotR,
sorry but the feedback was not very detailed,
the bug in Node operation could definitely be reproduced, but I also think that the 5 ghz in AP operation will also be solved. In my opinion there was a bug in 5Ghz mode at all.
I have received the information that they will be informed me gain, but i think this more or less without guarantee. I will keep you informed if i got news.

I just wish I saw this thread before purchasing the RT-AX68U.

I am also facing this issue. I bought the router on tuesday (changed to merlin), first noticed the issue on wednesday, reverted back to stock firmware and today after it happened again, searched the web and found this thread.

I only use the 5Ghz band, so I have the 2.4 radio disabled.

From what I read in the thread, you guys tried different options but with limited or no sucess at all. So for me it's a DOA.

It is probably not a hardware DOA. For me using the older firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42808 works fine. Probably an older Merlin firmware using this Asus firmware also works fine. I have the 5 ghz issue with the latest two AX68 firmwares though.

Reactions: N&B
It is probably not a hardware DOA. For me using the older firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42808 works fine. Probably an older Merlin firmware using this Asus firmware also works fine. I have the 5 ghz issue with the latest two AX68 firmwares though.
DOA in the sense that it is not working properly.

Have you tried the latest 386.5?

DOA in the sense that it is not working properly.

Have you tried the latest 386.5?
No, I have only tried 386.4. I am quite sure 386.5 also has the 5 Ghz issue, because it is build upon an Asus firmware that has the issue. Merlin is not the cause of the issue.

No, I have only tried 386.4. I am quite sure 386.5 also has the 5 Ghz issue, because it is build upon an Asus firmware that has the issue. Merlin is not the cause of the issue.
I know that the merlin version is not the cause of the issue.

I noticed however, that the latest stock firmware for AX68U is 386.46055, and the 386.5 Beta 1 is merged with GPL 386_46065. That's why I asked, despite having no clue if there is any difference with Wi-Fi driver (assuming that the driver is the issue).

I have tested Merlin 386.4 stable and latest stock FW. Experienced the issue on both FWs like I mentioned on previous post and with 2.4Ghz off, RA off, Agile multiband off, Target wake time off, DFS channels off, and also wifi6 mode disabled.

Well, I am on 386.5 Beta 1 now, lets wait and see.

EDIT: Issue remains.

Last edited:
I've been searching about this issue, and found other threads here about this same issue, one from 21/SEPT/2021. On amazon comments, also many people complaining about this.

So, in my understanding, its a widespread issue, and not a recent one it seams.

I am returning my unit. Thank you all for the information sharing.

Hello togehter,
I want to give you an update again.

I just got the feedback from ASUS that the problem has been solved and should be fixed in the next firmware!!! ;)
Maybe I'll get a beta firmware before that, but this has not yet been confirmed. If I get anything here, I'll let you know.

I'm really pleasantly surprised and how quickly ASUS recreated the problem and fixed it. Hopefully it will work then. :cool:

I think that's really good news.

Also wish I had read this thread before purchasing, having major buyers remorse and I feel like I've tried most recommended attempts to fix it.
All connections will drop from 5Ghz at around 15-18 hours so far. The SSID is still broadcasting, but no one can reconnect. I dont have to reset the router, merely clicking apply in the wireless settings is enough to fix it.

Happened initially on latest stock firmware, I then updated to merlin 386.5 and did a full settings reset and it's still occurring. SSID for 5ghz and 2hgz have been separate, and have tried several control channel and bandwidth combos.
I've tried turning off roaming assist, airtime fairness, multi-user MiMo, 802.11 beamforwarding, and universal beamforwarding.
Currently trying with more options turned off, IGMP snooping, AMPDU RTS, TX Bursting, optimize AMPDU aggregation. Not hopeful this is going to provide any solution.

Doubt whatever fix MrAsusIsBack is talking about will help, as they and several others seemed to have brought up some other issue that is not related to Op's post for some reason.

Did anyone having Op's problem who posted here ever get this fixed?

I am a bit relieved to find this thread. I thought I was the one going crazy!

I am running two AX68U in an AiMesh scenario: one upstairs router and one downstairs node. I am running ASUS Merlin 386.5 FW on both of them with Ethernet backhaul. It just seems like 5Ghz is dead on the node. Right now I have Smart Connect disabled, 2.4Ghz radio disabled, and all of my wireless devices want to connect to the upstairs router only. Nothing seems to be happening on the downstairs node at 5 Ghz. When I first bought these back in fall 2021, I don't recall having the problem. I want to say it started in December or so, after 2-3 months of ownership. I would prefer that FW fix the issue, as it would seem that FW broke it in the first place.

Well, I have a RT-AC5300 and it is doing the same, dropping 5Ghz only. Tried the latest Merlin, no better results. I had spent 2 days trying to change settings, experiment, etc. and figure out why it was dropping, never did. Found this thread, though it's a different model, probably same idea. I gave up, disabled 5Ghz and am using all 2.4. No AIMESH, I do have 2 RP-AC55 as wired access points. Configuration had not change in 6 months. Makes me think something changed in the environment around me (house) and triggered the issue. My connections were all awful on every device using 5Ghz. They were lucky to ever stay connected for 5 minutes.

I decided I wanted to redo the network anyway after 8 years so have a RT-AX58U I am going to try to replace those old RP-AC55 and also reorganize and put IOT devices on those (along with rules to prevent them from seeing main network). So, IOT would be isolated from main router (subnet). Assuming all devices work (and they should) despite double NAT (none of them have any port forwarding), will get one more to replace the other AC55. So, in a way, the problem benefited me, just not timewise. With all the IOT devices off the main router, will be much simpler network and more secure. Probably would have never gotten around to it for a while otherwise. Will be curious if 5G works on those (though my phone/tablets really wouldn't want to use those subnets), will be interesting.

Also wish I had read this thread before purchasing, having major buyers remorse and I feel like I've tried most recommended attempts to fix it.
All connections will drop from 5Ghz at around 15-18 hours so far. The SSID is still broadcasting, but no one can reconnect. I dont have to reset the router, merely clicking apply in the wireless settings is enough to fix it.

Happened initially on latest stock firmware, I then updated to merlin 386.5 and did a full settings reset and it's still occurring. SSID for 5ghz and 2hgz have been separate, and have tried several control channel and bandwidth combos.
I've tried turning off roaming assist, airtime fairness, multi-user MiMo, 802.11 beamforwarding, and universal beamforwarding.
Currently trying with more options turned off, IGMP snooping, AMPDU RTS, TX Bursting, optimize AMPDU aggregation. Not hopeful this is going to provide any solution.

Doubt whatever fix MrAsusIsBack is talking about will help, as they and several others seemed to have brought up some other issue that is not related to Op's post for some reason.

Did anyone having Op's problem who posted here ever get this fixed?

Stop driving yourself nuts, and roll back the firmware, per below. I can confirm this works (AX68 node on an AX86 main)

Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42808 is running stable as an AP for 37 days now for me, with no 5 GHz issues at all.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.45911 introduced by Asus Oct 25th 2021 has the issue. And the two subsequent versions 45934 and 46055 also have the issue (for me at least).

Reactions: N&B
Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42808 is running stable as an AP for 37 days now for me, with no 5 GHz issues at all.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.45911 introduced by Asus Oct 25th 2021 has the issue. And the two subsequent versions 45934 and 46055 also have the issue (for me at least).
Sorry, I missed this. Will give it a try, thanks!

Does anyone know what the equivalent Merlin version would be? I'm new to this scene.
It looks like: 386.2 is merged with 386_42095, and the next merge I see is 386.4 with 386_45958. So anything below 386.4 should be safe to try? (which would be 386.3_2)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!