What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, I missed this. Will give it a try, thanks!

Does anyone know what the equivalent Merlin version would be? I'm new to this scene.
It looks like: 386.2 is merged with 386_42095, and the next merge I see is 386.4 with 386_45958. So anything below 386.4 should be safe to try? (which would be 386.3_2)
Yup - I went back to 386.3_2 on my RT-AX68U and it has been stable for 2 weeks now..

I am on the same boat that devices connected to 5Ghz will suddenly get all dropped out. May I know how can I roll back to firmware 42808? Is it just upload the firmware from webUI like upgrade? do I need to reset NVRam? (Pressing WPS then turn on device?)

Thanks

Just upload version 42808 the normal way. And after that do a WPS hard reset to be sure.

I've just restored firmware 42808 and seems no more 5G device disconnection for a day. I am also thinking will this be causing by some devices (suspect Apple products, iPhone, Macbook, etc) which already registered the same SSID before (on old AC68U) which I didn't forget the network and re-join?

May someone confirm if you also tried do the setup with a new SSID/password, and have all devices re-join network manually?

Thanks

I think I tried using a different SSID but I’m not 100% sure.

Android also has the issue, I use a Samsung tablet besides Apple products. My suspicion it is an issue in the authentication process, see post #55 but I am no expert.

Another question would be if there are people on this forum who use the AX68 as AP and are on the latest firmware, and have NO issues on 5 ghz. It would be interesting to compare settings.

In the meantime 42808 is running fine for around two months now, so I’ll wait for a new future firmware and test again then.

I can quite confirm 42808 solved my problem and its stable. why Asus say its fixed by some people reported from this thread in March, but they didnt release firmware update since then for such long time as this is a big bug impact?

42808 was not stable for me as a router. It wasn't the 5GHz issue (which I had with newer firmware), instead it would drop all connections around once a day, and often would only last for a minute or two after reset. This is a new router so it's possible it's a hardware fault, though 386.3_2 has been stable for a few days now. Edit: 386.3_2 is still stable a month later.

Last edited:
Thanks for bring this thread up again. I keep looking at the Asus official firmware page and Merlin page every 2 days, but seems this model no more update. And for now, my AX68u stay ONLINE for many days already at firmware 42808. Really hope the future version can fix the problem

Reactions: N&B
I'm glad I found this thread cause this is the same issue I am having and have been scratching my head for days about this. Might be a dumb question but is there a guide on what to do to downgrade firmware to 3.0.0.4.386_42808?
I have 2x AX86U (1x Router, 1x AiMesh Node) both running the latest firmware. Do I do the downgrade individually starting with Router? Can I just do the AiMesh Node as that's the only one that has 5Ghz drops?

Thanks,

is there a guide on what to do to downgrade firmware to 3.0.0.4.386_42808?
I have 2x AX86U (1x Router, 1x AiMesh Node) both running the latest firmware. Do I do the downgrade individually starting with Router? Can I just do the AiMesh Node as that's the only one that has 5Ghz drops?

I would put the same firmware on both AX86Us. My firmware upgrade/downgrade guide is at the end of this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-for-all-supported-products.44375/post-381537

OE

That's what testing is for. ;)

There's a 386.7 alpha now for the ax68u. I wonder whether it fixes the problem.
do test it please and let me know.

I got a AX68U and AX92U.
I will be returning one of them. I have a few more days left with AX68U before it hits the 30 day mark.

The 5Ghz kicked everyone off and it wouldn't let me reconnect unless I restarted or clicked apply in the settings.
After using 386.3_2, it appears to be stable but then I will be missing out on a lot of firmware security patches.

right now, i like the merlin firmware more cause of the clean interface for wireless log and it has the wifi radar. the signal strength appears to be better also on the 68U than the 92U. definitely don't need the open nat or gaming features on the 92U. 160Mhw bandwidth doesn't appear to help on the ax92u with our 2 AX clients so it makes the 68U better value right now.

do test it please and let me know.

I got a AX68U and AX92U.
I will be returning one of them. I have a few more days left with AX68U before it hits the 30 day mark.

The 5Ghz kicked everyone off and it wouldn't let me reconnect unless I restarted or clicked apply in the settings.
After using 386.3_2, it appears to be stable but then I will be missing out on a lot of firmware security patches.

right now, i like the merlin firmware more cause of the clean interface for wireless log and it has the wifi radar. the signal strength appears to be better also on the 68U than the 92U. definitely don't need the open nat or gaming features on the 92U. 160Mhw bandwidth doesn't appear to help on the ax92u with our 2 AX clients so it makes the 68U better value right now.

I tried the 386.7 for about 24hours and haven't had a device drop from the 5Ghz network on the AX68U
It use to drop 2 to 3 times a day so i think it might be fixed.

unfortunately, I spoke with my family and they voted to return the router and keep the AX92U.
i think the AX68U is good bang for buck, the 2.4Ghz signal strength was stronger than the AX92U and I didn't notice much of a speed difference on the AX92U on the 5Ghz network.

I tried the 386.7 for about 24hours and haven't had a device drop from the 5Ghz network on the AX68U
It use to drop 2 to 3 times a day so i think it might be fixed.

unfortunately, I spoke with my family and they voted to return the router and keep the AX92U.
i think the AX68U is good bang for buck, the 2.4Ghz signal strength was stronger than the AX92U and I didn't notice much of a speed difference on the AX92U on the 5Ghz network.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Sorry that I cannot really make the test as this is the ONLY router at my home, if it drop, all my family member cannot get onto internet. Would like to see if anymore feedback on 386.7 that fix this problem or not? Thanks again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!