What's new

ASUS Blue Cave AC2600 Dual-Band Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have had no disconnections this far and the router has been rather stable. Let me know if you replace the router and with which one, maybe I’ll try that one too but so far so good on this one.
If this causes more trouble, I might return it and either get the AC86 or Synology MC2200. AC86 is the best performer out of the bunch but I like the interface of Synology.

But depends on how the replacement performs.

Trying the Blue Cave with Smart Connect just to see. It hasn't been good, but today it seems stable. Just checked the router and most devices are on 5 GHz., ok, and then noticed the 2.4 GHz is taking channels 5 + 9, which I don't think is really that smart. LOL.

Huh just saw my laptop got kicked over to the 2.4 GHz.

Trying the Blue Cave with Smart Connect just to see. It hasn't been good, but today it seems stable. Just checked the router and most devices are on 5 GHz., ok, and then noticed the 2.4 GHz is taking channels 5 + 9, which I don't think is really that smart. LOL.

Huh just saw my laptop got kicked over to the 2.4 GHz.
That something common I've been experiencing when you are using the 2.4GHz, happens couple of times daily. The 2.4GHz is also set to n, the older generations are not enabled by default. If you want the older generations, you have to sacrifice the speed.

That something common I've been experiencing when you are using the 2.4GHz, happens couple of times daily. The 2.4GHz is also set to n, the older generations are not enabled by default. If you want the older generations, you have to sacrifice the speed.
Well, if Smart Connect is in play, there is no control over what's enabled/disabled, but it probably shouldn't enable 20/40 co-exist and go 40 MHz, unless, most of my neighbors are actually on 5 GHz.

Maybe it's time to use different SSID's for the 2 bands, or this thing is going back, LOL. I better check BB's return policy on this.

Cyn, I decided to connect my phone to the 2.4ghz bad and when I was watching videos at night, it disconnected like three times. I tried running speed tests and they would not start. I am on the fence because I never use the 2.4ghz band except for my smart home devices and those work flawlessly or good enough where there are no hiccups. At this point, I feel like I am searching for issues with the router but it works fine almost all of the time. If you get another good deal like this, let me know because I don’t want to spend more than $150 on the Ac86u. I hope a firmware upgrade fixes this. As for the heating issues, I am not sure how this router will fair in the summer.

Cyn, I decided to connect my phone to the 2.4ghz bad and when I was watching videos at night, it disconnected like three times. I tried running speed tests and they would not start. I am on the fence because I never use the 2.4ghz band except for my smart home devices and those work flawlessly or good enough where there are no hiccups. At this point, I feel like I am searching for issues with the router but it works fine almost all of the time. If you get another good deal like this, let me know because I don’t want to spend more than $150 on the Ac86u. I hope a firmware upgrade fixes this. As for the heating issues, I am not sure how this router will fair in the summer.
Hey :) I did some testing and https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-battling-help.50282/ I decided to return the Blue Cave actually. The dropouts weren't cutting out for me. I am at the moment testing out couple of routers, and on the Velop at the moment. It seems to be solid at the moment. Thats the thing, I want to spend something less as possible, there is something to do I'll shoot you a PM about it.

Hey :) I did some testing and https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-battling-help.50282/ I decided to return the Blue Cave actually. The dropouts weren't cutting out for me. I am at the moment testing out couple of routers, and on the Velop at the moment. It seems to be solid at the moment. Thats the thing, I want to spend something less as possible, there is something to do I'll shoot you a PM about it.
Thank you for keeping me in the loop.

There is a new firmware: 3.0.0.4.384.45149. Didn't know they have a user feedback page.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Blue-Cave/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Edit: Still don't set any MU-MIMO setting.
Thank you for the update. I will download it and install it. I appreciate the security fixes and the wireless improvements. I don’t have the Lyra system but if I ever get it, then it will come in handy. Thanks.

I’ll test the temperature if it changes but I doubt it because it may be within normal parameters.

There is a new firmware: 3.0.0.4.384.45149. Didn't know they have a user feedback page.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Blue-Cave/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Edit: Still don't set any MU-MIMO setting.
I did the updated and the 'gain' or DBM is lower on the 5ghz band by about 5 or 6. This band appears to be more stable now too, fluctuating about +1 and -1 around the 40 mark on my laptop/desktop since I don't move it. The 2.4 ghz band is the same. I am not sure if these changes are due to the firmware but are my observations.

What's the consensus with this now? Is it reliable? Any deal-breaking issues? Is the heating that people go on about an actual problem or just a quirk? Prices seem favourable in the UK versus the AC86U (which would be the alternate choice for me) and in most areas on paper the two seem quite well matched.

I kept my Blue Cave. I had to do hard reset once and set it to Smart Connect, which means the router chooses which GHz band to communicate on (5ghz vs. 2.4ghz band). In this fashion I have had no issues. I still feel some warmth on the router but it works so it is fine. If you use more advanced features of this router, definitely go for the AC86U. I use it for 6 wireless devices and one wired device, and it works for me. I do not use the storage functions like the USB 3.0 port. I hope this helps.

I kept my Blue Cave. I had to do hard reset once and set it to Smart Connect, which means the router chooses which GHz band to communicate on (5ghz vs. 2.4ghz band). In this fashion I have had no issues. I still feel some warmth on the router but it works so it is fine. If you use more advanced features of this router, definitely go for the AC86U. I use it for 6 wireless devices and one wired device, and it works for me. I do not use the storage functions like the USB 3.0 port. I hope this helps.

Cheers, that's helpful. Never used the USB storage on the AC68 I currently own so that's not a concern for me either.

I am also in the market for a new router now. The Blue Cave as well as the RT-AC86U are available for the same price. What is the best choice than?

I am also in the market for a new router now. The Blue Cave as well as the RT-AC86U are available for the same price. What is the best choice than?

The Blue Cave's primary feature is its look. The RT-AC86U has much more powerful hardware, and is a better router in almost every aspect - unless the visual look is important for you.

The Blue Cave's primary feature is its look. The RT-AC86U has much more powerful hardware, and is a better router in almost every aspect - unless the visual look is important for you.

I am still rocking the RT-N66U, which does have similar looks as he RT-AC86U, but without the red bars. I don't like the red bars so much, but if the performance of the RT-AC86U is significantly better than the Blue Cave, then I will stick with the AC.

Especially the VPN client service is a dealbreaker for me. If I'm correct, the RT-AC86U is one of the better choices for VPN.

Especially the VPN client service is a dealbreaker for me. If I'm correct, the RT-AC86U is one of the better choices for VPN.

And the Blue Cave is one of the worst.

Any feedback on the 2.4 GHz drop outs?
Are people getting their devices disconnected frequently?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!