What's new

Tutorial Asus Dual WAN Router Load Balancing and Failover Router Problems and Fix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unfortunately no. My options are very limited due to the financial crisis in my country and I can't buy it from outside currently. But thx for the suggestion
I have also tried @Ranger802004 script but I am facing disconnections in load balance mode (Out of 10 websites, 7-8 opens and two no without refreshing)
I know why this is happening, my script fixed the MANGLE rules for load balancing which is the root problem with load balance mode but if I restart an interface the default rule for the interface comes back so in my next release I’m building an integrity check to keep that from happening.

I just released a new beta here, give it a try and let me know.

I just released a new beta here, give it a try and let me know.

Does this have the "integrity check" you spoke of?

Yes first iteration of it so may still need some work.
Are there some easy to follow instructions for noobs like myself to get your script to work with load balance? I am not interested in failover in the slightest. Thank you for all of your work on this.

Are there some easy to follow instructions for noobs like myself to get your script to work with load balance? I am not interested in failover in the slightest. Thank you for all of your work on this.
It's pretty straight forward, just install the script using my readme guide and then change the Target IPs to what you desire and leave it at that. It shouldn't require a whole lot of configuration for Load Balance Mode. You can't use QoS and all of the default settings for the most part should be left alone.

It's pretty straight forward, just install the script using my readme guide and then change the Target IPs to what you desire and leave it at that. It shouldn't require a whole lot of configuration for Load Balance Mode. You can't use QoS and all of the default settings for the most part should be left alone.

Excellent but will I then need to set the dual wan and the load balance features via firmware UI as well after installing your script or do I leave these without touching them and with the script taking over original firmware settings?

Turn off the Dual WAN Network Monitoring Features and Allow Failback options in the Web GUI, enable JFFS Scripts then install my script. The only thing you need to set for load balancing is the Load Balance Ratio in the Web GUI.

Tr
Turn off the Dual WAN Network Monitoring Features and Allow Failback options in the Web GUI, enable JFFS Scripts then install my script. The only thing you need to set for load balancing is the Load Balance Ratio in the Web GUI.
Trying to install it today and all I am getting is this:

/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh: line 1: WANDOGTARGET: parameter not set

Not sure really where to go from here!

Tr

Trying to install it today and all I am getting is this:

/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh: line 1: WANDOGTARGET: parameter not set

Not sure really where to go from here!
I released a minor patch (v2.0.2) to resolve your issue, no need for beta it is a minor fix and wasn't caught during beta cycle.

Hello friends, I tried using the dual wan feature of my ASUS RT-AX86U for load balancing, what I did is that the 1st ISP I route to be use on my PC and NAS only, the 2nd ISP is for wifi connected devices like smartphones, tablets, smart tv. For the past weeks, I noticed that the wifi is not stable, it will show no internet and I need to reconnect to fix it. I think my ASUS router can't handle the load balance well, I am planning to get the tplink ER605, can anybody suggest any work around about it? Thank you

Hello friends, I tried using the dual wan feature of my ASUS RT-AX86U for load balancing, what I did is that the 1st ISP I route to be use on my PC and NAS only, the 2nd ISP is for wifi connected devices like smartphones, tablets, smart tv. For the past weeks, I noticed that the wifi is not stable, it will show no internet and I need to reconnect to fix it. I think my ASUS router can't handle the load balance well, I am planning to get the tplink ER605, can anybody suggest any work around about it? Thank you
I'd recommend to use my WAN Failover script to help resolve the issues related to load balance mode, you can use the initiate function to do this without actively running the script for failover monitoring.

Try Ranger script, sometimes works, sometimes not. It tends to unravel sometimes.
If It doesn't the tplink option is a viable one (but be prepared to double-nat and no policy routing)
If load balance and policy routing Is essential to you, ditch the Asus and go to openwrt or pfsense.

Try Ranger script, sometimes works, sometimes not. It tends to unravel sometimes.
If It doesn't the tplink option is a viable one (but be prepared to double-nat and no policy routing)
If load balance and policy routing Is essential to you, ditch the Asus and go to openwrt or pfsense.
Hi, thanks for the input, is there no solution to avoid double NAT using er605? also I saw some youtube videos it do have policy routing, not sure though if I get it right, I am actually planning to place order now for tplink

Hi, thanks for the input, is there no solution to avoid double NAT using er605? also I saw some youtube videos it do have policy routing, not sure though if I get it right, I am actually planning to place order now for tplink
You can avoid double nat and do policy routing if you use tplink as router and asus as access point.
But if you want to do this there are far better and economic solutions

Last edited:
You can avoid double nat and do policy routing if you use tplink as router and asus as access point.
But if you want to do this there are far better and economico solutions
with this setup using the asus as AP, meaning it will handle the wifi devices, correct? as for tplink, I can connect my switch in it where my PC and NAS are connected?

hi, for future reference, how can I use pfsense or openwrt, I checked openwrt does not support my asus router model, should I buy another hardware to install it? thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!