What's new

ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiddlywink

New Around Here
w692

FCC took pictures of SoC: https://device.report/manual/10144672

CPUBroadcom BCM4906KFEBG dual core @ 1.8 GHz
SwitchIn BCM4906
RAM (MB)512
Flash (MB)256

Firmware: Version 3.0.0.6.102_44136 51.45 MB 2024/02/26

Looks like the an RT-AC86U - wireless + BT + USB 3.0.

-------

Is VLAN actually working or still "hacked" on? I only need VLAN really for one port for my IP cameras/NVR that I currently have air-gapped.

3 year warranty = 3 years of support??

Merlin support maybe?

Welcome to the forums @tiddlywink.

Buyer beware (always). Buy, test, and evaluate well within the return period.

Myself? I wouldn't buy this if the decimal point was moved over to the left two times.

Bluetooth setup for a wired router? Give me a break.

This sounds like fairie dust snake oil at its finest. I sincerely hope it fails hard, so that real products are produced instead.

I see it as another proof 3.0.0.6 firmware can actually run on "older hardware" perhaps down to RT-AX58U V2* and many current models will be killed for marketing reasons. The other concern is once again included "free" Trend Micro service with data sharing agreement. This may not go well on a business market.

* - the single PoE AP Asus currently have is most likely BCM6756 based with built-in 2x2 radios. Runs Asuswrt 3.0.0.6, AiMesh node.

BT is just for phone app setup and maybe management.

71rPJz+KViL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

From the amazon.com page: "up to five SSID." I assume this means a choice of five wireless SSID and/or VLAN. Shouldn't that also be "Software-defined networking" not "self-defined network?"

----

PoE 8 port is same SoC.

Went in stock on Amazon. Bought one for testing and will be here this week.

I have such a low bar for VLAN that this should work. If not, I will return and force myself to move to tplink which I am trying to avoid.

It seems a very odd direction to be going in. Bluetooth setup, WiFi via additional APs only, no 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps port(s). Very odd!
I'd also wonder with the 8+1 port PoE version does it have a switched power supply?

Last edited:
Got it.

expertwifi.net and asusrouter.com both get you to the settings. 192.168.50.1

Must agree to EULA and Privacy policy to use. :mad:

Firmware update via browser to latest: 3.0.0.6.102_44136. Popups are a thing after firmware update if it changes.

59% memory usage; no idea if good or bad.

Bugs
WAN IP is not public IP address (passthrough fiber gateway)
Wireless setting shouldn't be there as this doesn't have wireless; "AiMesh Node" mode shouldn't be there either

AImesh
ac68u's won't work at all. Soft reset, hard reset, WAN port, LAN port, whatever. Any secrets I forgot to make nodes work? Can't really fault asus here if they don't work.

AP
No problem with ac68u's as access points.

VLAN
Need more time to test

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15-17-27 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15 - Quick Internet Setup.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15-17-27 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15 - Quick Internet Setup.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15-18-01 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15 - Quick Internet Setup.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15-18-01 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15 - Quick Internet Setup.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 16-56-45 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 16-56-45 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 17-44-47 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 17-44-47 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 17
What about Trend Micro?
Did not agree and it works fine without. AIProtection and Traffic Analyzer are empty.

You are right about the wireless. I just expected that to be "off" until aimesh was activated. There is an "AiMesh Node" as a choice for operating mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11-48-05 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11-48-05 ASUS Wired Router ExpertWiFi EBG15.png
    32 KB · Views: 12
VLAN

Note: don't have aimesh working so this is strictly about wired and all I have available are dumb switches/dumb poe switches.

Settings -> Lan -> Vlan -> Profile = create VLAN without DHCP

"Self-defined network" -> select vlan -> advanced settings = choose the network here

My experience
Port4 -> VLAN 100. Some devices showed up correctly. Some just didn't want to move. My very low bar appears to be have been too high. Had another bug where a static route was incorrectly labeled as DHCP in the client list.

Annoyances:
Absolutely any changes requires a complete restart of network and re-login.

GUI will beachball/freeze sometimes after applying settings.

------------

If you are buying this for VLAN's over wifi or have smart switches this may work. I'm planning on returning this.