What's new

News Unreleased Pro models and just announced ExpertWiFi models native VLAN support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donkomo

Occasional Visitor
Hi I am shopping for a new ASUS router and wanted network segmentation but the current ASUS lineup doesnt offer that. Then I came upon this ASUS support page showing these models to support VLANS.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1049415/

2). VLAN supported models:

• RT-AX86U Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro, more models are coming.

Also they just announced their SMB/SOHO line of routers and mesh systems at CES that will also include VLAN in addition to other things like
  • Backup WAN: EBR63 supports LTE dongle and smart phone tethering. Plug LTE dongle or your smart phone to EBR63, and the network is connected.

I was going to pickup a AX86U but I think I will wait for the AX86U pro version or the ASUS ExpertWiFi EBR63.

What do you guys think of the new business line?

Last edited:
Well, we know what Dong knows...

Nothing 'pro' about either of those options. Seems like middle-of-the-road hardware to me. The 'expert' part, is probably how much Asus will be able to charge for them, with 'expert' in the model name and SMB as the tagline. Great marketing, poor hardware delivery.

Beta firmware is available supporting VLANs and other features for the RT-AX86U Pro, GT-AXE16000, GT-AX11000, GT-AX6000, .... — just check the normal Asus download page for the appropriate devices(s), for example, the GT-AX6000.

ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.3506

Version 9.0.0.6.102.3506 Beta Version
57.57 MB
Be noted: This is an early stage beta, there might be bugs. This version can be downgraded via web GUI only.

New Features:
1. Add Guest Network Pro:
• Kids WiFi: Create a network for kids that blocks access to adult content and has a schedule to control when the network is available.
• VPN WiFi: Create a VPN network that connects to 3rd party VPN services or with ASUS site to site VPN(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/) to encrypts your internet connection and hides your IP address to protect your online activities from being tracked or monitored.
• IoT WiFi : Create an IoT (Internet of Things) network that blocks malicious traffic* and only allows 2.4GHz devices to connect.
• Guest WiFi: Create a guest network with a WiFi schedule and access rights to control when and how guests can use the network.
2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.
3. Add Auto USB WAN backup, while primary WAN is down, plug USB phone/dongle will auto enable backup internet, no setup is required.
4. Add iPhone USB tethering. (Please make sure hotspot on iPhone is enabled).
5. Add Multi-services WAN, create multiple profiles on a single WAN interface.

Last edited:
Windows 11 ready:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

time to change the manufacturer, asus is starting to get ridiculous.

2). VLAN supported models:

• RT-AX86U Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro, more models are coming.
That's weak... I don't see how the AX86U (nonpro) can't run VLANs. Then again i'm not an engineer, so there might actually be valid reasons why, but my hobbyist brain can't understand why it's limited to the pro.

That's weak... I don't see how the AX86U (nonpro) can't run VLANs. Then again i'm not an engineer, so there might actually be valid reasons why, but my hobbyist brain can't understand why it's limited to the pro.
Asus creates an artificial division based on the price of the device, not the installed hardware, and with current Asus prices, you can have much better hardware. e.g. MT

Asus creates an artificial division based on the price of the device, not the installed hardware, and with current Asus prices, you can have much better hardware. e.g. MT
Mikrotik? I have not heard of them, but they seem to be high quality and "heavy duty" in a way. Is there a particular model similar to or better than the AX86U Pro?

Mikrotik? I have not heard of them, but they seem to be high quality and "heavy duty" in a way. Is there a particular model similar to or better than the AX86U Pro?

MT is just an example, MT is a different approach to networking. The RouterOS software enables practically everything, at the same time asuswrt is a toy for a child.
You can find offer on their site.

Last edited:
The one thing about native vlan support missing from all versions of ASUS hardware to date is vlan filtering support in the kernel. If ASUS had filtering support like OpenWRT, there would not be the need to create and configure multiple bridges to enable multiple vlan IP addressing, and vlan configuration would be SO much simpler. Failure to include filtering support will mean this product line is just a marketing makeover rather than a true migration to business class hardware.

Can't really compare them directly
Mikrotik's routers and their RouterOS software is really advanced and powerful

But their wireless stuff is eh

RouterOS software is really advanced and powerful
It is way more powerful than a firewall should be..
They have added many features that belong to "server" devices and this causes a huge attack surface for hackers to exploit.
Asus does not follow this path so far. That have added cloud management and VLAN to the Pro line and nothing more.

It is way more powerful than a firewall should be..
They have added many features that belong to "server" devices and this causes a huge attack surface for hackers to exploit.
Asus does not follow this path so far. That have added cloud management and VLAN to the Pro line and nothing more.

I like RouterOS and MikroTik as routers. What makes them good and bad is how advanced they are. They are not made for ordinary people, but those who know networking and like to test things.

To test the potential of the AX86U Pro you need to load the latest Beta firmware.

For now, mine is collecting dust on a shelf in my office. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!