What's new

Beta ASUS Instant Guard iOS/Android public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Instant Guard may be easier to setup for most users and that's an advantage over OpenVPN.
Personally I don't see any reasons to use Instant Guard when I have a perfectly functional OpenVPN setup.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.
drabisan,

I agree that I will pick one type of VPN connection. For those of us who are comfortable configuring VPN ourselves.

Asus is trying to use Instant Guard to make it simpler setup and use Instant Guard VPN. :) For now, Instant Guard only support iOS and Android in beta ... macOS and Windows are not yet available, but, coming as mentioned by ASUSWRT_2020. For now if we need VPN on say macOS, we need to use other available VPN Servers on Asus Router.

Yes, the way it is today it's at least confusing for most users. Hopefully before launching a non beta product they will have a solution for all OSs.

As I said, I need to have a permanent OpenVPN client session running 24/7 on the router.

If I’m out, I would like to be able configure the router remotely by using Instant Guard to “dial-in”

Just wondering if this is possible.

As I said, I need to have a permanent OpenVPN client session running 24/7 on the router.

If I’m out, I would like to be able configure the router remotely by using Instant Guard to “dial-in”

Just wondering if this is possible.
Princi,
Sorry, I misread your question earlier.
I recalled on Merlin 384.19 I was able to do it, with Policy (Strict) configuration on OpenVPN Client for one of my Android TV device and at the same time able to have a Tunnelblick OpenVPN connection from my MacBookPro "dial-in" remotely to OpenVPN Server Configured on the same Router.
Sorry, cannot test this scenario for you, as Stock / 386 RC FW for OpenVPN Client implementation for my RT-AX88U Routers is unlike Merlin's OpenVPN Client that supports Policy based implementation. My internet speed at home will drop from close to 1gbps to 50-100mbps for with my PureVPN subscription. My family will come after me for the slow speed :) .
I am looking forward to go back to Merlin's Firmware, after help for testing Stock Firmware is accomplished :)

Thanks LimJK.

Haha, kids at home - school holidays right? (We are in the same city)

Maybe it will be possible when Merlin releases his 386 build. I still have Merlin 384.19 on my main router. Very happy with stock 386 firmware on other one for now.

• Yes, same here.

After updating to ASUS Router App 1.5.83, I can now seamlessly configure the router remotely from a mobile / cellular device.

However, the restriction of not being able to establish an Instant Guard connection to the router when a OpenVPN client session is active, still exists.

ASUSWRT_2020,

I just receive TestFlight Notification of the new version of iOS ASUS Router App 1.0.0.5.8. I am very please to report that iOS ASUS ROUTER APP now successfully runs over VPN (Instant Guard 1.0.0.0.8, IPSec VPN or OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2) on a CELLULAR connection without Enabling Web WAN Access on the Router :) :):) Thank you!

ASUSWRT_2020,

While I have some waiting to do at a cafeteria, I decided to do a test of Instant Guard, comparing with OpenVPN Connect and native IPSec VPN on my iPhoneXsMax over 4G Cellular connection. I found the following issue with Instant Guard, I thought easier to show you the video screen shoot.

To provide some context, I am sitting at the same spot doing these 4 speedtest around the same time on the same iPhoneXsMax:

(1) IPhone 4G Direct:
iPhoneXsMax 4G Direct.PNG

(2) IPhone 4G using OpenVPN Connect:
iPhoneXsMax 4G OpenVPN.PNG

(3) iPhone 4G using native IPSec VPN
iPhoneXsMax 4G IPsecVPN.PNG

(4) iPhone 4G using Instant Guard (which failed to connect)

Edit1: I have sent feedback from Instant Guard App
Edit2: Appears that my 4G Cellular upload speed was too low (about 2 mbps) when Instant Guard failed to connect. I can confirm that when upload speed is higher, Instant Guard connects correct. Point is, in the same scenario, both OpenVPN Connect and native IPSec VPN is able to establish connection. Thanks for looking into this.

Last edited:
ASUSWRT_2020,

While I have some waiting to do at a cafeteria, I decided to do a test of Instant Guard, comparing with OpenVPN Connect and native IPSec VPN on my iPhoneXsMax over 4G Cellular connection. I found the following issue with Instant Guard, I thought easier to show you the video screen shoot.

To provide some context, I am sitting at the same spot doing these 4 speedtest around the same time on the same iPhoneXsMax:

(1) IPhone 4G Direct:
View attachment 27373

(2) IPhone 4G using OpenVPN Connect:
View attachment 27374

(3) iPhone 4G using native IPSec VPN
View attachment 27375

(4) iPhone 4G using Instant Guard (which failed to connect)

Edit1: I have sent feedback from Instant Guard App
Edit2: Appears that my 4G Cellular upload speed was too low (about 2 mbps) when Instant Guard failed to connect. I can confirm that when upload speed is higher, Instant Guard connects correct. Point is, in the same scenario, both OpenVPN Connect and native IPSec VPN is able to establish connection. Thanks for looking into this.
Another observation.
once Instant Guard connection failed as mentioned above. It appears to be something that instant guard remembers ... it will fail on remote wifi or cellular connection subsequently.
Workaround when I am outside my home Network is to establish another VPN session (in my case I used OpenVPN Connect) to allow Instant Guard to connect to AiMesh Router in my home Network successfully, to successfully establish Instant Guard Connection again ... After that it works again when I use Instant Guard directly over Cellular or Wifi remotely.

Last edited:
After updating to ASUS Router App 1.5.83, I can now seamlessly configure the router remotely from a mobile / cellular device.

However, the restriction of not being able to establish an Instant Guard connection to the router when a OpenVPN client session is active, still exists.

Thanks for your feedback. We can duplicate this issue and are studying how to fix now.

Thanks for your feedback. We can duplicate this issue and are studying how to fix now.
Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

Just FYI: I also run Merlin on another router, and use the Astrill VPN Applet on that router (AX88U).

I thought that might make a difference, since I am not using a VPN Client profile.

Unfortunately, when the Applet has an established connection to a VPN server - it is not possible to connect to the router with Instant Guard.

If I drop the VPN Client session via the Astrill VPN Router applet, then Instant Guard connects without any other difficulty.

Last edited:
ASUSWRT_2020,

Someone reported that "Speedtest" is not there under ASUS Router App -> Settings -> QOS
I observe that it is not in the TestFlight version too.

New TestFlight/iOS beta was just released: 1.0.9 (1.0.0.0.9). Hoping it enables me to connect via cellular service without having to enable remote access. The last version didn't appear to allow that.

UPDATE: Nope. Unable to connect over cellular connection if remote access is disabled. I eventually just get the "Losing connection to your router." error message. (Please, Asus, hire a proofreader.)

Last edited:
@NSNE What you are trying to do works for me.

@ASUSWRT_2020 Thanks for the new Instant Guard version. The results are interesting.

I‘m running the 386_40577 Release on an AC-86U. My previous problem still exists (unable to establish a connection with IG when a VPN client session is active) when using IG 1.0.9 - from a cellular connection.

However, I’m also running Merlin 386.1 (alpha 2) on an AX-88U and I was able to establish an IG connection from a mobile while there was an active OpenVPN client session in place!!!! This didn’t work before under 1.0.8.

Perhaps there is a new RC8 ready to drop that will resolve this issue. I don’t think it’s with the IG app anymore.

Thank you for working on this. I thought it may have been a h/w restriction, which would have been a disaster for me.

UPDATE:

Can't actually confirm now whether 1.0.9 fixes my problem or not. Astrill pushed out an update of their VPN Router applet this morning, and it now fails to load the TUN device. Cannot establish a VPN connection anymore. (VPN Router Applet v2.9.34)

However, I was pretty certain I got it to work twice - with the VPN connection on the router active.

For the time being, I will have to put this on ice until I get the Astrill VPN app working again.

I also plan to setup a standard VPN client connection from Merlin and test Instant Guard again. Will report my findings.

Last edited:
ASUSWRT_2020,

Just got notification from TestFlight of the new Instant Guard 1.0.0.0.9 this morning.

Suggestion: It will be nice if we know what has been fixed and if there are specific things that you wanted us to test.

Observation: It seems to work well for me in my environment (in my Signature below). What I did:
  • I deleted Instant Guard 1.0.0.0.8,
  • Installed 1.0.0.0.9 directly (without going through ASUS Router App) on my iPhoneXsMax (iOS 14.2) that is connected to my Primary Network so that it can see my AiMesh Router to correctly setup Instant Guard at both ends.
  • With that I can confirm that I am run ASUS Router App (1) Locally, in my Primary Network, (2) Remotely over WiFi or Cellular connections.

I‘m running the 386_40577 Release on an AC-86U. My previous problem still exists (unable to establish a connection with IG when a VPN client session is active) when using IG 1.0.9 - from a cellular connection.

However, I’m also running Merlin 386.1 (alpha 2) on an AX-88U and I was able to establish an IG connection from a mobile while there was an active OpenVPN client session in place!!!! This didn’t work before under 1.0.8.
Princi,
RMerlin's implementation of OpenVPN is more advanced :) I am testing Merlin's 386.1 Alpha2 which has 386.40557 GPL Merged.

Princi,
RMerlin's implementation of OpenVPN is more advanced :) I am testing Merlin's 386.1 Alpha2 which has 386.40557 GPL Merged.

Yes, I know. I’ve been using Merlin for at least 6 years.

My setup is complicated further by the Astrill VPN Router applet which could introduce further complications.

Further Update:

Merlin 386.1 alpha2 displaying same behaviour as stock RC7.

When a VPN Client on the router has an active session, not able to establish a connection with Instant Guard 1.0.9

Can't test it with Astrill VPN Router applet at the moment. Latest version not working on 386 codebase

Further Update:

Merlin 386.1 alpha2 displaying same behaviour as stock RC7.

When a VPN Client on the router has an active session, not able to establish a connection with Instant Guard 1.0.9

Can't test it with Astrill VPN Router applet at the moment. Latest version not working on 386 codebase

Running both a server and a client at the same time will always be problematic, unless you manually set up routing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!