What's new

Asus may have some upcoming competition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
Gl.inet just recently posted the specs of their forthcoming AX6000 router which would be in competition with Asus’s AX86U Pro, AX88U Pro, and GT-AX6000, and compelling especially if it’s priced 50% of Asus’s models like they have been in the past. Love the integrated 8GB eMMC storage.

Specification​

Interface6 x Ethernet ports (WAN/LAN)
1 x USB 3.0 port
1 x Reset button
CPUMediaTek Quad-core, @2.0 GHz
Memory / StorageDDR4 1GB / eMMC 8GB
ProtocolIEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax
Wi-Fi Speed1148Mbps (2.4GHz), 4804Mbps (5GHz)
Ethernet Speed2 x 2.5G Ports (10/100/1000/2500Mbps)
4 x 1G Ports (10/100/1000Mbps)
Antennas4 x 2.4GHz + 5GHz two-in-one Wi-Fi Antennas
LEDs1 x dual color LED indicator for Power and Internet
Power InputDC, 12V/4A
Power Consumption<20W
Operating Temperature0 ~ 40°C (32 ~ 104°F)
Storage Temperature-20 ~ 70°C (-4 ~ 158°F)
Dimension / Weight233 x 137 x 53mm / ~800g

So ... if GL-inet are selling comparable hardware for half what ASUS asks, how are they going to have the funds to maintain their software at a higher level than ASUS is managing? It's absolutely the abysmal state of ASUS' software engineering that is driving me away from them.

GL.iNet, from what I’ve observed, is a pretty scrappy company. They aren’t the quickest to get the latest product out and they do backbone off luci/openwrt so there is some additional dev resources there. Also, their firmware releases are slow to release major stable updates, however, their beta releases have been quicker and pretty stable. Once this product is eventually released, I’ll probably pick one up and see how it compares to my Asus routers.

And it gets away from the old kernels that prevent openvpn DCO from working, and Broadcom's closed source.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!