What's new

DIY NAS - Hows this for a starter??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnynyn

New Around Here
I'm ready to venture into the NAS world since my house is now finished from remodeling. The entire house is wired for CAT6 to a closet/storage room in the middle of the house. From there all the wires are hooked up to a patch panel and all TV's will have a nice HTPC client to stream media from the NAS server that will be in the storage room. Here's what I just won on ebay for ~$100

Commell Miniboard VIA V4 Eden 1GHz processor LE-565-256

Main Features:
-Powerful embedded computing capacity with VIA V4 Eden 1GHz CPU
-Onboard 256 MB DDR SDRAM for embedded / anti-vibration / low profile embedded applications
-Integrated 3D/2D Graphics controller and max up to 64 MB shared with system memory
-4 x 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet interface
-4 serial and 1 parallel ports for POS / multiple I/O application.
-Expansible Interface: One PCI expansive slot supports up to 2 PCI add-on cards via an additional riser card and one Mini-PCI socket
-Integrated CompactFlash interface supports CFC (Compact Flash Card)

-Form Factor 5.25" Miniboard, 146 x 203 mm or 5.75" x 8.00"
-CPU Onboard embedded VIA V4 Eden 1 GHz CPU
-Chipset VIA CN700 & VT8237R+
-Memory Onboard DDR 256MB SDRAM and one 184-pin slot supports additional 1GB DDR SDRAM.
-Real Time Clock Chipset integrated RTC with onboard lithium battery
-Watchdog Timer Generate system reset with 1 to 255 Sec./Min of time out value
-PCI Enhanced IDE Dual Channels support 4 ATAPI devices up to UDMA/133. -One 40-pin and one 44-pin IDE Port for 2.5" notebook-size HDD, slim -CD-ROM/DVD/CD-RW and cable free DOM (DiskOnModule).
-VGA Interface VIA CN700 integrated UniChrome pro 2D/3D Graphics controller and max 64 MB of video memory shared with system memory
-LVDS interface VIA VT1636 LVDS transmitter, 18/24-bit Dual channel LVDS
-Serial ATA interface 2 x Serial ATA interfaces , RAID 0 / 1 support
-LAN Interface 4 x Realtek RTL8110S-32 Gigabit Ethernet controller
-Audio VIA VT8237R+ integrated with Realtek ALC655 5.1 CH AC97
-GPIO Onboard programmable 8-bit Digital I/O interface
-Internal I/O Ports 1 x PS2, 1 x RS232/422/485, 2 x RS232, 1 x Audio, 1 x -LPT, 1 x LVDS, 4 x LAN LED pin-header, 4 x USB, 1 x silm-FDD
-External I/O Ports 1 x RS232, 1 x VGA, 4 x RJ45, 2 x USB2.0, 1 x 2-pin power jack
-Solid State Disk Onboard CompactFlash socket support CFC (Compact Flash Card)
-Expansible Interface One PCI expansive slot supports up to 2 PCI add-on cards via an additional riser card and one Mini-PCI socket ( the second PCI -Bus master of PCI slot is shared with Mini-PCI )
-Environment Power Requirement: +12V P4 4-pin power connector or +12V -DC jack input connector
-Operation Temperature 0 ~ 60 °C(32 ~ 140°F)

I have two WD 640GB harddrives ready for this system (will expand with SATA PCI card when needed)

All I need now is a nice case and psu...I liked the fact that this has 4 GIG-E ports so I can use it as an additional switch??