What's new

FlexQoS Asus Merlin and Flexqos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good news was having another look today and finally found the culprit preventing FlexQos from classifying the " Gaming " class correctly.
From Main UI go to: Game/ Gear accelerator/ Game Device Prioritizing/ Add: now remove all gaming device IP's from here just leave it blank.
Unsure why but this was preventing FlexQos from classifying the Gaming class correctly :) Hope this helps others.
The Game Device Prioritizing messes with the tc priorities under the covers. A good example of that was documented in this thread:
Gaming becomes top priority and Net Control and everything else moves down a notch (depending where Gaming was in the priority order of the GUI).

Oh maybe that's the reason many people complain about FlexQoS not working right on AX86U... I have never used that feature. Only FlexQoS categories, and never had a problem

The Game Device Prioritizing messes with the tc priorities under the covers. A good example of that was documented in this thread:
Gaming becomes top priority and Net Control and everything else moves down a notch (depending where Gaming was in the priority order of the GUI).
So was his problem there Dave still having FC & Runner enabled?
" Gaming becomes top priority and Net Control and everything else moves down a notch " Dave I thought Net control stays No1 no matter what?

So was his problem there Dave still having FC & Runner enabled?
Probably. Just didn’t know it at the time.
I thought Net control stays No1 no matter what?
Apparently not. My notes say that when Gear Accelerator has devices added, Gaming (08) goes to priority 0, part of Net Control (09) goes to priority 1, and anything else that was above Gaming in the GUI’s priority list moves down one level. It’s all closed source stuff from Trend, so it’s not documented anywhere that I saw.

Whatever it is about the AX86U that bypasses the iptables mangle table when fc is enabled is a mystery. This lack of transparency is one reason I’ve relegated my Asus router as an AP and use OpenWrt now. Not to mention the aged kernel used by Asus and Broadcom.

Probably. Just didn’t know it at the time.

Apparently not. My notes say that when Gear Accelerator has devices added, Gaming (08) goes to priority 0, part of Net Control (09) goes to priority 1, and anything else that was above Gaming in the GUI’s priority list moves down one level. It’s all closed source stuff from Trend, so it’s not documented anywhere that I saw.

Whatever it is about the AX86U that bypasses the iptables mangle table when fc is enabled is a mystery. This lack of transparency is one reason I’ve relegated my Asus router as an AP and use OpenWrt now. Not to mention the aged kernel used by Asus and Broadcom.
Which router do you have OpenWRT loaded on?

Hi dave, can you please clarify if using the Pi you can use the AiMesh functionalities of the Asus routers?
I don’t know from experience, but I imagine it’s possible since the Operation Mode I’m using is “Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode”.

I don’t know from experience, but I imagine it’s possible since the Operation Mode I’m using is “Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode”.
the reason I'm asking this is that I currently have a tuf-ax5400 as gateway and a rt-ax55 as node on a 500/100 connection and I'm considering putting a Pi4 as gateway but still wanted to use the mesh features of the asus routers. The current setup works great, but does not allow for QoS features to be implemented without losing about 100mbps of dl. The same happened when I had an ac86u.

the reason I'm asking this is that I currently have a tuf-ax5400 as gateway and a rt-ax55 as node on a 500/100 connection and I'm considering putting a Pi4 as gateway but still wanted to use the mesh features of the asus routers. The current setup works great, but does not allow for QoS features to be implemented without losing about 100mbps of dl. The same happened when I had an ac86u.
Yes, AiMesh works fine in AP mode. I have used AP/AiMesh mode on a pair of AC86u and on a pair of CT8 units, both behind an Untangle and a pfsense units.

Is there any down side to disabling FC?

Not that I have any of these issues on mine, just interested.

Is there any down side to disabling FC?

Not that I have any of these issues on mine, just interested.
It affects the hardware acceleration, so if your connection is fast enough, you might not be able to reach its full potential. On the other hand, most people are more concerned with latency and bloat, but they hate the idea of “losing” bandwidth for the sake of a more predictable connection.

So Fc disabiled affect only bandwidth and not latency or bloat ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!