What's new

ASUS-Merlin FW .372.31 - DHCP, network detection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not quite sure what is going on (maybe a shift in the earths gravitational field etc), but the latest, latest Asus stock (3.0.0.4.374.130) seems to have done something wonderful to the wifi drivers for me (Using my RT-AC66U)

Looks like I am getting the best performance and range on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios - but I can't see anything in the release notes that would imply this. I know this is highly environmental, but I live pretty remote so I can discount most external interference and any recent changes.

Am pretty religious about resetting NVRAM every time I do a firmware change (which I do frequently, as I compile the bleeding-edge Merlin build from source) but I'll be very interested to see what it looks like when Merlin gets the latest source incorperated.

Don't get me wrong - Merlin is still my preferred version, but right now if you are one of the few people who are considering throwing your RT-AC66U out of the window, I'd recommend 374.130 before you do.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what is going on (maybe a shift in the earths gravitational field etc), but the latest, latest Asus stock (3.0.0.4.374.130) seems to have done something wonderful to the wifi drivers for me.

Looks like I am getting the best performance and range on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios - but I can't see anything in the release notes that would imply this. I know this is highly environmental, but I live pretty remote so I can discount most external interference and any recent changes.

Am pretty religious about resetting NVRAM every time I do a firmware change (which I do frequently, as I compile the bleeding-edge Merlin build from source) but I'll be very interested to see what it looks like when Merlin gets the latest source incorperated.

Don't get me wrong - Merlin is still my preferred version, but right now if you are one of the few people who are considering throwing your 66U out of the window, I'd recommend 374.130 before you do.

the latest posted on ASUS website is 374.168; so your .130 is an earlier version? What are your 5GHz clients that can connect to your router?

With .374.168, Intel 6325, Intel 5300 and Samsung SmartTV wifi module (forgot the chipset) could not connect to the router at all - pass key was getting rejected.

Wow - whaddya know ;-) Yes, I'm running 374.130 - which interestingly enough is currently the 'latest' according to the 66R website (I have both but consider them the same hardware)

EDIT: Ok, I see the confusion. 374.130 is the 'latest' for the AC66U/AC66R (which I am running). 168 is the latest for the N66U. Apologies, I wasn't clear in the original post.

Last edited:
Apology not needed, it's clear in your post.

Don't get me wrong - Merlin is still my preferred version, but right now if you are one of the few people who are considering throwing your RT-AC66U out of the window, I'd recommend 374.130 before you do.

thank you Merlin, that could be - I think I put something stupid like apostrophe.

I will try a different names tonight.

I thought I was filtering them out - I might have forgotten on that specific field. I will have to check.

Wow - whaddya know ;-) Yes, I'm running 374.130 - which interestingly enough is currently the 'latest' according to the 66R website (I have both but consider them the same hardware)

EDIT: Ok, I see the confusion. 374.130 is the 'latest' for the AC66U/AC66R (which I am running). 168 is the latest for the N66U. Apologies, I wasn't clear in the original post.

With 372, Asus started using an extended build version on top of the actual build version (374). That's why you get 374_130 or 374_168 depending on which router you are looking at.

Usually the differences are minor, or specific to that model that got the newer revision.

- ASUS to fix the bloody wifi driver ('how hard can it be?" as Jeremy Clarkson would say)

The latest news I got regarding this were encouraging. It's coming.

It's coming.

You do realize the Merlin build firmware is likely to get its own rumour-mill akin to the Apple product releases!

You do realize the Merlin build firmware is likely to get its own rumour-mill akin to the Apple product releases!

It's coming from Asus, not from me. I don't have the source code to wireless drivers (and don't have any technical know-how related to how wifi drivers would work either).

RMerlin, are they going to release the source code to their 374 firmware? We need to get their so highly promising wifi drivers :) And their bugfixes too.

RMerlin, are they going to release the source code to their 374 firmware? We need to get their so highly promising wifi drivers :) And their bugfixes too.

Eventually. They are currently working on something in regard to 374, we're both waiting for that.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!