What's new

ASUS-Merlin FW .372.31 - DHCP, network detection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky1111

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and I am seeking for help here.

Previously I was using RT-N56U, and for those who never had one - stock firmware is pretty crappy, simple things like DHCP server were hard to configure and not really not working.
Once I moved to Padavan FW, I am a happy camper - all features are actually working and I can easily configure static IP addresses from drop down list.

Fast forward to yesterday when I finally got RT-66 (rev B1), and first thing I did - flashed Merlin FW 3.0.0.4.372.31, and I having deja vu :confused:

- network map does not show all connected clients. Like right now one of my wireless clients is connected and downloading Windows updates, yet it is not showing up in the list!

- DHCP server drop down list does not keep/show all the connected clients - I guess the same root cause as above - thus I cannot assign Static IP addresses.

Merlin, is there any chance to get these fixed? I really need static IP address for all devices on my network...

THANKS in advance!

Check Your Technique

I have been running Merlin's firmware and in his current as well as all past versions I have had no problem setting up static IPs.

1. Either type in or select the MAC address of the device you want to assign the fixed IP to. Be sure to pick an IP outside the range of your DHCP server but it also needs to be in same subnet. Router = 192.168.1.1, DHCP server 192.168.1.100 - 120, Static IPs can be in range 192.168.1.2 - 99 or 192.168.1.121 254. Then click on plus to add. Continue adding IPs.

2. When you are finished click on apply at the bottom of the page.

3. Then reboot your router and connected devices that you wanted to have assigned a static IP.

You should be good to go. I have not seen anyone else having the problems you are reporting. Again if your static IPs are in the same subnet as the router they should show up in your list.

I can handle the typing of the MAC address, and I know the procedure, but what I reporting is a bug - Network map should show all the clients attached, and it does not. Drop down list should also show all the clients currently connected, and it does not.

This is a bug. The same functionality works fine on Padavan firmware for RT-56U, and it is not unreasonable to expect the same from 66U.

Merlin, do you agree with me?

Asus tweaked the network map in their latest firmware 3.0.0.4.374.168, once they release the source code Merlin will be able to incorporate the changes plus maybe improve it more.

Version 3.0.0.4.374.168
Copy Link
Description ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.168
Fixed:
1. Reduced the redundant packets when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN and opened web browser.
2. Fixed the traffic monitor related issues when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN,
3. Fixed client duplicated issue in network map
4. removed modem setting button in AP mode
5. Fixed IE related parental control issue.
6. Disabled the Broadcom ACSD service to prevent buffer overflow vulnerabilities.

Added:
1. Unmount all disks with 1-click

3G/4G dongles:
1. Support Huawei EC306

I have a RT-N66U b1 and I'm running .372.31 and have no issues with devices showing up in the list nor with static IP addresses I have assigned.

Sam

I think you need to just reboot the router and reboot your devices. Or wait 24 hours and they will all show up. And then you can assign reserved IP addresses and not have the problem any more.

thanks for the feedback folks... sound like a unique problem - and I did reset the router to defaults after updating the firmware.

I did reboot the devices and the router few times... perhaps I should re-set the firmware and re-flash it again.

I am using the latest Firefox - I will try Chrome - see it if makes any difference.

The only time I had issues with the network map or DHCP list being very slow to register clients (usually Mac OSX or iOS based) it was solved by clearing nvram and setting up again.

My standard practice now is to always clear nvram after a fw upgrade and not rely on settings restore. Customised scripts are available if you have complex settings to speed things up, but usually I just start afresh. Never a problem after that (with the 5 Merlin FW versions and counting) :D

Sorry for noobish question - how do you clear the NVRAM?

Restore button (Factory Default), under Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Settings.

Networkmap relies on ARP to build its list of devices. The most common cases where it doesn't work is when your network is segmented (for example if you use an access point, a repeater, or a second router).

Networkmap relies on ARP to build its list of devices. The most common cases where it doesn't work is when your network is segmented (for example if you use an access point, a repeater, or a second router).

Yep. I have a second router set up as a "wireless ethernet bridge", and the network map on my RT-AC66U (which is my main router) has duplicate entries all the time.

UPDATE:
- resetting to factory defaults did not resolve the issue

- flashing the latest ASUS firmware - FW_RT_N66U_3004374168.trx - resolved the issue

Right away wifi connection dropped from 300 (Merlin) to 144 (ASUS) on Intel wifi NIC... damn :(

So I guess I need to wait until Merlin releases 374.xxx based firmware.

AHHHHHH!!!! What's wrong with ASUS??? as guys on this forum where warning, 5GHz channel is now not working - none of the clients can connect any more...

Now flashing back to Merlin's FW!

UPDATE 2: flashed Merlin firmware back

- Still not all the connected clients show up in the connected list (reset to factory defaults few times)
- was able to manually type MAC addresses and assign IP addresses to most of the devices, and it works.
- at the attempt to assign static IP address to a couple of Iphones the DHCP page went kaput - basically after saving the last IP address, the page comes back crippled with no static IP list (not entire page is showing). Reboots did not help - only reset the FW to factory defaults and re-enter everything from the scratch (done it at least 2x)

Now I learned my lesson and save the settings so I do not have to enter 12+ IP addresses :)

AHHHHHH!!!! What's wrong with ASUS??? as guys on this forum where warning, 5GHz channel is now not working - none of the clients can connect any more...
Hi,

Any reason that you are not reading the release notes for the firmware from Merlin? :rolleyes:

Merlin did a fantastic job to use the NEW Asus code base with the OLD Broadcom drivers... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

- at the attempt to assign static IP address to a couple of Iphones the DHCP page went kaput - basically after saving the last IP address, the page comes back crippled with no static IP list (not entire page is showing). Reboots did not help - only reset the FW to factory defaults and re-enter everything from the scratch (done it at least 2x)

Means you entered an invalid character as a device name, which broke the Javascript generated by the router.

thank you Merlin, that could be - I think I put something stupid like apostrophe.

I will try a different names tonight.

Hi,

Any reason that you are not reading the release notes for the firmware from Merlin? :rolleyes:

Merlin did a fantastic job to use the NEW Asus code base with the OLD Broadcom drivers... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Of course I read the release notes - LOL. My point was to compare network client detection in newest ASUS firmware vs. Merlin's which is based on the previous release.

And I confirmed that the newest ASUS firmware did improve client detection - but I do like the Merlin's FW better (and as a matter of fact, I bought the router because of Merlin's FW).

Now I am praying for two things:
- ASUS to fix the bloody wifi driver ('how hard can it be?" as Jeremy Clarkson would say)
- Merlin to release another wonderful firmware with both fixes (wifi and DHCP). Well... just DHCP fix will do for now :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!