What's new

Asus Merlin guest password not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

okwestern

Occasional Visitor
Lately my guest network password isn't recognized as correct. I tried on several computers, and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It used to work perfectly, but at some point after an update or reset, it stopped working.
I use WPA2-personal AES and a 12 character password.
The normal network works fine.
I use the latest 386.7_2 on a RT-AC68U.

Make sure the SSID and password only contain alphanumeric characters, i.e. does not have spaces, symbols, punctuation, emojis, etc.

Have you tried changing the SSID and password to something completely different and seeing if that works? If it does then try changing it back to what it was before.

Maybe you've run out of space in nvram which would create random behaviour.

I tried that, but didn't help.
NVRAM usage: 56092 / 65536 bytes
Try a shorter password as a test if you haven't done so already.
Do you have any additional add-on scripts installed/running and or a USB storage device attached?
Are you running AiMesh? If so is the problem with connecting to mesh nodes or the main router or both?
Which guest network (1, 2, or 3) is having the problem? All of them or just a specific guest network? If using guest network 1, disable it and moving to using guest network 2 instead and see if the password issue persists.
Last resort, do a hard reset and reconfigure from scratch without loading any past configuration files.

Last resort, do a hard reset and reconfigure from scratch without loading any past configuration files.

When strange, do this. Or use guest 2 WLANs on router only until some future update is a more convenient time to reset and configure from scratch.

OE

This problem may be the same problem as this, next time when this happens, you can try typing the following command and see if it fixes it:
Code:
killall eapd; /bin/eapd; service restart_wireless