What's new

Asus Merlin in AP mode vs UniFi access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How do Asus routers (w/Merlin) in Access Point mode compare with true access points such as UniFi nanoHD? Is either of them much better than the other is some ways or is it a toss-up? Thanks.

kind of depends on what you are using as a controller and router, regarding if it will handle more connections with more advanced settings. In that regard the unifi wap will be better since most likely you will be using a better and separate dedicated router and controller with it. Because for example, with asus router after 20-30 wireless devices things start getting wonky if you start doing things like trying to mac filter everything or create multiple vlans, dhcp or firewall rules, turn all the network monitoring features on etc... Just going from 20 to 35 wireless devices on my asus lowers the wifi range. Not to mention that the asus router can only do basic forms of all that I mentioned.

I plan on using an old i5 pc as a router eventually, and using a raspberry pi i have as a unifi controller, and then buying the uac ap LR eventually to upgrade from my ac66u_b1. since I have 35 devices and want to do more advanced vlans, with faster openvpn, having an IPS/IDS etc. upgrading to an ac86u provided me with very little benefit. Regardless of the marketing hype, the more expensive routers do not handle any more devices then the older ac68u does. zilch. all they have is slightly better range.

It was a harsh reality check for me cause I totally believed the marketing hype around ax routers or the more expensive ac routers. The avg household not too far in the future will have 50 wireless devices in their homes and it doesn't seem like the consumer routers are prepared for it imo. Thats why you see constant problems reported with the ax86u and ax88u models that cost like 3 times the price of a ac66u because in reality, they don't offer much improvement in any category besides speeds.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!