What's new

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7979

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can also confirm that this firmware is causing issues.
Wireless speed went down from 500Mbps to 150Mbps on 5GHz for me as well.
I have tried resetting to factory defaults and reconfigure but the same problem persisted.

After enabling 160MHz (20/40/80/160Mhz) Channel bandwidth on both 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 and manually selecting Control Channel 40 (5Ghz-1) and 116 (5GHz-2) wireless speed improved a lot.

I hope it stays stable.

Ensure if using a modern Intel WiFi card to downgrade from 21.60 to 21.50 as the latest driver has caused me no end of problems on my own equipment and several hundred users that I support across different companies with wildly different wireless infrastructure in place.
The latest intel driver is the culprit i've found.

L2TP VPN in Fusion is not connecting with 7979, I got this for hours:

tunnel_establish: failed to add host route

Now before, with 6439, it was only properly connecting if set as default, which implied that my dozens of other devices had to have a rule to connect to the default Internet...

Else the router led would show red and the overall connection wouldn’t work...

the overall stability was super bad though...

Now something funny happened:

I also tried to create a PPTP VPN fusion connection, which also didn’t work:

Jan 25 20:52:39 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

Jan 25 20:52:40 pptp[2698]: Connect: ppp6 <--> pptp (173.239.197.155)

Jan 25 20:53:10 pptp[2698]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Jan 25 20:53:10 pptp[2698]: Connection terminated.

Jan 25 20:53:10 pptp[2698]: Modem hangup

Then immediately afterwards I tried to activate the L2TP VPN I had previously created:

[2952]: pppd 2.4.7 started by Admin, uid 0

Jan 25 20:53:52 pppd[2952]: Connect: ppp5 <--> l2tp (173.239.197.155)

Jan 25 20:53:52 pppd[2952]: Overriding mtu 1500 to 1400

Jan 25 20:53:52 pppd[2952]: Overriding mru 1500 to mtu value 1400

Jan 25 20:53:52 pppd[2952]: Overriding mru 1500 to mtu value 1400

Jan 25 20:53:52 pppd[2952]: PAP authentication succeeded

Jan 25 20:53:55 pppd[2952]: local IP address 10.0.1.233

Jan 25 20:53:55 pppd[2952]: remote IP address 1.0.0.1

Jan 25 20:53:55 pppd[2952]: primary DNS address 10.0.1.1

And it Worked!!!

I tried it several times, L2TP only connects after a failed PPTP connection... weird!

I then tested the connection on my Sony TV, connected via LAN on an another RT-AX88U used as AIMesh and Netflix works with ExpressVPN...

The connection is not super stable though, Netflix buffers quite often...

Any idea how I could prevent that ?

The same VPN was working perfectly in my previous setup with an 80$ ASUS router used for VPN only…

Even with wpa2/wpa3 enabled, I couldnt get anything to hook up other than my iphone 11 pro max. Had to go back to wpa2.

As with any firmware upgrade no matter how minor (changes low level machine instructions) I religiously do a hard factory reset BEFORE flashing and then after flashing another hard factory reset-and configure from scratch-resist the temptation to upload a config file after the firmware upgrade. So far no issues with WPA3 or WPA2/WPA3 with my iPhone 8 plus or my wife's iPhone 11 pro. Manually assigned control channels for all radios: 11/64/165. Make sure to do a site survey to determine the best channels for your area of coverage. Keeping my fingers crossed.

@DMcD-EMS-USMC just a note that if you do a factory reset after flashing the firmware you want, it is irrelevant if you do one before on the old firmware. :)

A better method that will actually give some users better results is to actually flash the firmware you want to use twice, with a reset to factory defaults after each. Make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' and hit save at the bottom of the page. And on the final reset; format the JFFS partition too, don't forget to hit save again (on next reboot, then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so, waiting for 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot). :)

Does the factory reset retain last firmware?

I already updated firmware, but did not perform a factory reset.

Would you advise I perform a factory reset now?

If yes if I use the same SSID/PW , will all the clients reconnect automatically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DMcD-EMS-USMCAnd on the final reset; format the JFFS partition too, don't forget to hit save again (on next reboot, then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so, waiting for 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot). :)

How do you reformat the JFFS partition?

@posthaste, sorry, my mistake. That is an RMerlin feature currently.

I just saw the (GT-AX11000) thread I replied to. :oops:

Engineers and asQA team at Asus must be idiots to mess this firmware update this bad, I have drop connection, my download and upload speed which were constantly 500 Mbps before are now down to 110 mbps

@DMcD-EMS-USMC just a note that if you do a factory reset after flashing the firmware you want, it is irrelevant if you do one before on the old firmware. :)

A better method that will actually give some users better results is to actually flash the firmware you want to use twice, with a reset to factory defaults after each. Make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' and hit save at the bottom of the page. And on the final reset; format the JFFS partition too, don't forget to hit save again (on next reboot, then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so, waiting for 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot). :)
And also don't forget to crack open a coconut next to router and pray

@Rengtoo you are free to ignore the suggestions I make (gathered from users experience on the forums here) at your own risk. I hope that it doesn't stop others from using them and getting their router back to a good/known state though. :)

When u guys factory set do u keep the same SSID? And does ur devices come back automatically?

@Rengtoo you are free to ignore the suggestions I make (gathered from users experience on the forums here) at your own risk. I hope that it doesn't stop others from using them and getting their router back to a good/known state though. :)
Sorry but I wasn't criticizing you but Asus, basically we should not have to do all these workarounds everytime we have an update to the software, Asus needs to get their act together and improve their engineering and QA team

Last edited:
When u guys factory set do u keep the same SSID? And does ur devices come back automatically?

No, a factory reset is what it is, you have to start again from scratch, nothing is kept from your settings, and TBH its the best way forward with an ASUS router firmware update.

Regards

I did the 7979 upgrade and reverted back to the previous firmware. Now I get a problem with the internal router interface detailed below:
Has anyone experienced an issue where the internal router interface becomes unavailable and only starts working until after a reboot? From a hardwired workstation, i can't ping my default gateway (internal router IP) and after a reboot of the router it starts working. WAN interface is not affected.

So re-upgraded to version 7979 and did a factory reset as some have suggested here. I then set auth to wpa2/wpa3 and so far it's been stable for half a day. We will see if it stays stable over the next day or so. One thing I've noticed is that on my samsung s10+, download speeds are the fastest I've seen prior to this 7979 firmware. Using fast.com I see about 900mbps, and previous i saw about 500mbps with older firmware. Upload is about the same around 40mbps and have Comcast gigabit service. So on my S10+, download speeds are very close to my wired gigabit connection. I get about 990 mbps on fast.com.

My setup:

CM1200 modem --1G--> GT-AX11000 --2.5G -- > GS110EMX --1G--> Desktop

Last edited:
So re-upgraded to version 7979 and did a factory reset as some have suggested here. I then set auth to wpa2/wpa3 and so far it's been stable for half a day. We will see if it stays stable ove the next day or so. One thing I've noticed is that on my samsung s10+, download speeds are the fastest I've seen prior to this 7979 firmware. Using fast.com I see about 900mbps, and previous i saw about 500mbps with older firmware.
What about upload speeds?

I have mine loaded with the new FW. I have 1G ISP service to a CM1100>AX11000
Seeing near 900Mpbs on the down and 50Mpbs on the up which is to spec.

Not noticing any UI issues, though walking thru the setup wizard to configure the router from bridge mode to router mode was kind of hard to find. When it finally came to the end of the setup wizard after making settings for router mode it took me to a prior screen which didn't mention anything about rebooting and configuring the router for router mode. I saw no apply or please wait message. I looked over and the LEDs on th front of the router had turned OFF and the power LED was red. So the router was rebooting at this point. It finally came back to ready and I was able to log in again. Setup wizard seems a bit confusing at the end.

Gamed on MW last nite. Saw no issues with the router. Mostly in game experiences with MW.

Overall, router is working well. Wifi is disabled as I'm using a different wifi system.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!