What's new

Beta ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 Firmware v9.0.0.6.102.4856

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thought I read that it creates a guest SSID though. #3 on the original post.

So creating a VLAN profile in the VLAN-Profiles section does indeed include a wifi interface, but it appears to be possible to disable the wifi interface by going into the guest network section and then disabling the wifi network. Definitely convoluted, but it appears to be getting close to what you may want, although VLANs on AiMesh nodes may be borked.

So creating a VLAN profile in the VLAN-Profiles section does indeed include a wifi interface, but it appears to be possible to disable the wifi interface by going into the guest network section and then disabling the wifi network. Definitely convoluted, but it appears to be getting close to what you may want, although VLANs on AiMesh nodes may be borked.
I tried it today and that did work. I assigned the vlan on an access port and made sure it worked without being able to access other vlans. I then went to Guest Network Pro and clicked on the guest vlan>general settings>wifi band> none.

So creating a VLAN profile in the VLAN-Profiles section does indeed include a wifi interface

Would it be possible to create a VLAN for a specific VPN tunnel and route all that traffic through the VLAN? (most likely yes)

… and then create a WiFi interface linked to that VLAN? By interface I guess you mean IP range.

Even better would be creating an SSID for that VLAN so that all tunnel traffic would be available via that SSID.

I’m guessing that feature is probably a no. I’m talking about creating an additional SSID not just binding to an existing one.

Would it be possible to create a VLAN for a specific VPN tunnel and route all that traffic through the VLAN? (most likely yes)

… and then create a WiFi interface linked to that VLAN? By interface I guess you mean IP range.

Even better would be creating an SSID for that VLAN so that all tunnel traffic would be available via that SSID.

I’m guessing that feature is probably a no. I’m talking about creating an additional SSID not just binding to an existing one.
I have not messed with that setting yet but under Guest Network Pro you can add a VPN network with its own wireless SSID.

Main thing I want now is firewall rules between the vlans.

I will wait for the next beta and try the guest network pro as a VPN tunnel. Recently went back to latest stock.

If that “other” VPN network is in addition to the two WireGuard tunnels I have setup in VPN Fusion - that would be useful.

Personally, I don’t see the point of that VPN Pro network feature - when that’s precisely what VPN Fusion does - or at least seems to be.

A guest network not having access to the wider intranet would not be a problem for me.

I have not messed with that setting yet but under Guest Network Pro you can add a VPN network with its own wireless SSID.

Main thing I want now is firewall rules between the vlans.

Presumably VLANs also have DHCP config options. This is something that's missing from the ASUS GUI VLAN config options.

Presumably VLANs also have DHCP config options. This is something that's missing from the ASUS GUI VLAN config options.
That too would be nice although it has not been an issue for me at this point. I do like how on the main subnet you can set the dns server for a reserved host. Bit annoying that it knocks out the network for a few seconds every time you save a new reservation though.

Last edited:
So, for my 2x GT-AX6000 combo on this firmware, I have found that guest networks are not working on the GT-AX6000 that is operating as an AP or as an AiMesh node. In either scenario, the satellite router creates the guest network, and I can connect to it, but there is no connectivity to the internet. Devices attempting to connect to the guest network on the AP/AiMesh node are not given a LAN IP address. I tried a band-aid fix of assigning an address manually using the values that were automatically provided by the DHCP server when the device was on the guest network of the main router, and that didn't work. I tried disabling "AP Isolated" and enabling "Access Intranet", and neither fixed the issue. So it seems that guest networks on APs or AiMesh nodes are broken on this firmware, probably for all routers that can run it.

ok, so I was wrong about this, sort of. Guest networks on the AP/node weren't working because I had a switch between the router and the AP/node. Specifically, I am using a managed switch, and it will not pass the tagged VLAN traffic without being configured for the VLAN. After getting the switch configured, guest networks on the AP/node are working.

One additional comment I'll add is that unmanaged switches may work in this scenario. It just depends if they can handle the larger packet size.

How long does it normally take for beta features to be pushed to non-beta/standard versions?

Got this router about 2 months ago, running the stable (non-beta) firmware and been very happy with it. Would just like to understand if the new enhancements take a long time before they get released? If not, I prefer to wait for the stable release versions.
Thank you!

Welcome to the forums @Lorddundy.

There is no set time for releases. Asus pushes them out when they're deemed ready. And, if there are not more important models to concentrate on first (i.e. their definition of which model is more important, not ours).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!