What's new

Asus router running (wireguard) VPN with policy rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SandLake

Occasional Visitor
I have been using a Torguard VPN on my gnuton1 Asus DSL-AC68U (I use the firmware for the RT-AC68U) for a while now, the VPN is configured via OpenVPN. I use 'policy rules' to specify which internal IP's route via the VPN and this works well. If I wasn't able to follow guides I could never have gotten this setup at all, I am past my own understanding of networking, but it works and I leave it well enough alone.

I have read that Wireguard is a much more efficient way to implement a VPN (I guess than OpenVPN) but have no idea what I need to do to 'upgrade' to Wireguard?

Can anyone help me get started on an upgrade path - even if that is to leave it alone?

Thanks

You can't. Wireguard requires a newer Linux kernel.

Thanks for that, I have been doing some research today into this (and this is entirely TIC), one avenue I tried was asking a Tech Support line (I'll let them remain nameless for now) and their response was "there is a Merlin beta out just now that does support WG if your willing to install that"!

You will still need a router with a much newer kernel than the 68U has. To the best of my knowledge, you are looking at the AC86U or AX88U (Vr. 4.x kernels). The 68U is only a Vr. 2.x

I get tremendous speeds with Wireguard, can it implemented in AC86U?

You can check out this;

I get tremendous speeds with Wireguard, can it implemented in AC86U?

(How I envy your BCTel/AGT fibre speeds here in Onterrible...)

see here:
that takes you to two threads. I'd suggest reading and considering the 2nd one first

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!