What's new

Asus router suggestion for >1200Mbps via WAN port (Comcast)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I'm currently using an Asus RT-AC5300 with the latest Merlin firmware connected to my Comcast "XFi Gateway" with Bridge Mode enabled. However, my Asus router only accommodates old-fashioned 1GB full-duplex Ethernet via its WAN port.

I would like to upgrade my Asus router to be able to accommodate at least >1200Mbps Internet connection and beyond from my Comcast modem. Could someone please be kind enough to recommend a couple Asus router models I can choose from that work very well with Merlin firmware? Note: At least 1 LAN port should be able to comfortably accommodate >1200Mbps.

Thank you in advance,

Not worth buying a new router for this effectively small increase in speeds if your current router offers you a fast and stable network within its limits.

Even less advisable to consider only single >1GbE models.

The only router with RMerlin support worth considering today is the GT-AX6000.

Be sure you only buy one 'on sale' (as that is the true prices of all products today).

Not worth buying a new router for this effectively small increase in speeds if your current router offers you a fast and stable network within its limits.

Even less advisable to consider only single >1GbE models.

The only router with RMerlin support worth considering today is the GT-AX6000.

Be sure you only buy one 'on sale' (as that is the true prices of all products today).

Thanks. Ill look for deals.

I'm currently only getting around 900Mbps Max to my primary PC. Comcast's 1200Mbps tier (which I already have) is actually closer to 1500Mbps downstream speed. I don't consider 60% improvement in downstream speed a small increase.

If you need - GT-AX11000 Pro and GT-AXE16000 are better than GT-AX6000.

I would consider the new RT-AX88U Pro, which comes with a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports. I don`t have any update however as to whether I will be supporting it or not.

Thanks. Ill look for deals.

I'm currently only getting around 900Mbps Max to my primary PC. Comcast's 1200Mbps tier (which I already have) is actually closer to 1500Mbps downstream speed. I don't consider 60% improvement in downstream speed a small increase.
Make sure your PC can handle the speed. Connect your PC directly to the modem and see what speed you get. To get over 940Mbps on a speedtest you will have to upgrade its network card.

The added network bandwidth from Comcast can be useful but only if you are saturating your connection at the gig level. Using link aggregation, which the AC5300 supports, you can utilize the full bandwidth on your connection but if your Xfi gateway doesn't offer the option for link aggregation then you may need to purchase a modem that does which is cheaper than buying a new router.

I would have waited a few weeks to see what happens when the AX88 Pro hit the streets...

I'd be surprised if Merlin don't end up suporting it. Even though it's not been confirmed yet.
It will problably impact the pricing of both the GT AX6000 and the AX88 Pro
And just maybe like me, you're not a big fan of the gaming look and feel offered by the GT models...

If you need - GT-AX11000 Pro and GT-AXE16000 are better than GT-AX6000.

Sure is... Bentley is also better than Mercedes... But for everyday traveling from point A to point B...

I'm currently using an Asus RT-AC5300 with the latest Merlin firmware connected to my Comcast "XFi Gateway" with Bridge Mode enabled. However, my Asus router only accommodates old-fashioned 1GB full-duplex Ethernet via its WAN port.

I would like to upgrade my Asus router to be able to accommodate at least >1200Mbps Internet connection and beyond from my Comcast modem. Could someone please be kind enough to recommend a couple Asus router models I can choose from that work very well with Merlin firmware? Note: At least 1 LAN port should be able to comfortably accommodate >1200Mbps.

Thank you in advance,

Are you paying for the gateway? If so just go out and buy a modem, then what you save on the monthly fee (I think its like $240 a year now) can finance your new router, and get their garbage out of the path too. Or just use their gateway which should support 2.5 gig while you wait on a 6E or 7 router to be released.

This situation is classic. Good deal on faster Internet and then hundreds of dollars wasted in chasing speedtest numbers. End result - higher monthly bills and the same everyday Internet experience. Hardware vendors and service providers cash the money, the user enjoys the speedtest. Good business.

This situation is classic. Good deal on faster Internet and then hundreds of dollars wasted in chasing speedtest numbers. As end result - higher bills and the same Internet experience. Hardware vendors and services providers cash the money, the user enjoys the speedtest. Good business.

I was going to ask if they were using it for anything other than speedtests but figured I'd refrain. There certainly are people that have a use case for the fastest speed (of course your upload is still only 50 megs) but most people I see getting gig or above never even hit 100 unless they run a speed test. The two main people I can think that use speed like that are heavy torrenters (where the slow upload speed will still prevent you from getting good throughput due to the way torrenting works) or gamers downloading a new game a couple times a month. Is the extra cost really worth saving an hour or two (assuming it is a really big game) that once or twice a month?

Most that I know claim they got it because they were doing streaming and video calls. Yeah you can have 10 people doing all that and still be fine at 100 megs. Verizon and Comcast (the two available here) make it seem like their lower tiers are for like one old lady checking email and you need GIG+ to work from home. Just ripping people off based on lack of knowledge.

I'm a lifelong network guy and my 300/300 FIOS (lowest tier available now) is plenty. Heck even when it was 100/100 I was hosting web servers, email server, and working from home, no issues.

There is nothing much to torrent lately. Prequels, sequels and remakes.

I'm talking about the stuff that won't get you shut down by your ISP - distros etc. To avoid being shut off for illegal downloads you'd have to get a VPN that also supports >1G, so that's even more cost. There are some developers that still use torrenting for legit purposes, though less and less every day since transferring large files directly is much easier now than it was when torrenting was popular for that use.

But yes pirating via Tor and other file sharing methods is another use case, though getting over 1 gig will only happen if there is something very popular with lots of users.

I used to be in this situation. I got XB8 Gateway with 1.2Gbps plan waiting for 200mbps upload speed and my home setup was AX88U + AC68U x 2.

Currently, XB8 Gateway do Wifi 6E and forward all ports I need in my network through 2.5gbe to GT-AX6000 double nat behind XB8. Then from GT-AX6000 to AX88U work as gigabit switch and 2.5Gbe to RT-AX89X as NAS network with 10Gbe setup.

I'm pretty happy with this setup 10gbe capable wire local network with 1.2-1.4gbps both wired and wifi for internet.

I used to be in this situation. I got XB8 Gateway with 1.2Gbps plan waiting for 200mbps upload speed and my home setup was AX88U + AC68U x 2.

Currently, XB8 Gateway do Wifi 6E and forward all ports I need in my network through 2.5gbe to GT-AX6000 double nat behind XB8. Then from GT-AX6000 to AX88U work as gigabit switch and 2.5Gbe to RT-AX89X as NAS network with 10Gbe setup.

I'm pretty happy with this setup 10gbe capable wire local network with 1.2-1.4gbps both wired and wifi for internet.

Are you actually using that bandwidth on a regular basis?

Are you actually using that bandwidth on a regular basis?
Yes, all Wifi 6, 6E, Ethernet 2.5Gbe and 10Gbe can pull over 1Gbps all the times.

What they pull >Gigabit for and how often? This is what @drinkingbird is asking.
To be clear almost every single time I do speedtest I can do over 1Gbps.

83547.jpg

83546.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!