What's new

Asus router suggestion for >1200Mbps via WAN port (Comcast)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I do understand that we didn't use maximum speed all the times. But when it spike at least you have more buffer.

View attachment 48179

So your biggest download spike is 160 mbits for a few seconds. And you've still managed to use 5% of your data cap (another thing that fiber internet doesn't have). You're still in a high cap area, wait til they reduce you to 1TB or 100GB. Right now if you rent their gateway they give you a really high (basically unlimited) cap but I expect them to gradually reduce/eliminate that bonus like they've been doing with caps for everyone else. So basically you're paying $20 a month to avoid a cap and not have to pay $20 a month for more data :)

What is really amazing to me @Bodin Praphanthongchai is the fact you have invested thousands in audio/video equipment and 50+ IoT devices, you have work-from-home family members and you stitched everything together with bunch of home routers running 3rd party Alpha 1 firmware.

What is really amazing to me @Bodin Praphanthongchai is the fact you have invested thousands in audio/video equipment and 50+ IoT devices, you have work-from-home family members and you stitched everything together with bunch of home routers running 3rd party Alpha 1 firmware.

Maybe we're just getting old. My 20 year old Pioneer Elite Receiver, 25 year old Paradigm (from your neck of the woods) speakers, and 10+ year old Panasonic Plasma still blow most systems out of the water (except maybe OLED on the TV but that has long way to go to mature, not wasting money on disposable technology).

I used to have a stack of amps, preamp, processor, etc, but much like my network, I downsized and simplified and sounds every bit as good to my picky ears and less headaches and hassles.

Here you go the conclusion The END. lol

So your biggest download spike is 160 mbits for a few seconds. And you've still managed to use 5% of your data cap (another thing that fiber internet doesn't have). You're still in a high cap area, wait til they reduce you to 1TB or 100GB. Right now if you rent their gateway they give you a really high (basically unlimited) cap but I expect them to gradually reduce/eliminate that bonus like they've been doing with caps for everyone else. So basically you're paying $20 a month to avoid a cap and not have to pay $20 a month for more data :)
That is what I worry about because of the xFi Complete gave me unlimited data cap. If I really can’t renew I just have to move.

That is what I worry about because of the xFi Complete gave me unlimited data cap. If I really can’t renew I just have to move.

Around here people that have both Comcast and RCN just switch back and forth to keep being a new customer. Others just cancel and renew comcast. People in NYC do the same with Spectrum and RCN. It is a game I'm glad I don't have to play anymore. Well for myself anyway, I still have to do it every 2 years for my mom. She's down to 100G data cap now which normally would be no concern but her TV is streaming, and even though it is Comcast's own streaming TV service, still counts against the cap. 100G is plenty but 50G won't cut it.

Question to all of those people that cancel Xfinity/Comcast, then resubscribe later as a "new customer"; Don't you lose your user/email names?
Casa Griswald has had the same emails for 20+ years, and if we close our account, then we lose our emails. The Wife has let me know that losing her emails would not be advantageous for me in any way imaginable.
Our 2-year contract ended in Oct 2022. Every time I call to "cut services" (currently tv, telephone, internet) or do anything to reduce our bill, I end up with someone eventually pushing their mobile service and/or home security :mad: Since 10/2022 our monthly bill has only increased $10, so we will wait for another increase or service upgrades to interact with xfinity.
EDIT: I too would be happier with an increase in upload speeds. Speeds are fine with their 1-gig service, and we have teenagers at home.

Last edited:
Question to all of those people that cancel Xfinity/Comcast, then resubscribe later as a "new customer"; Don't you lose your user/email names?
Casa Griswald has had the same emails for 20+ years, and if we close our account, then we lose our emails. The Wife has let me know that losing her emails would not be advantageous for me in any way imaginable.
Our 2-year contract ended in Oct 2022. Every time I call to "cut services" (currently tv, telephone, internet) or do anything to reduce our bill, I end up with someone eventually pushing their mobile service and/or home security :mad: Since 10/2022 our monthly bill has only increased $10, so we will wait for another increase or service upgrades to interact with xfinity.

You can keep your Comcast emails forever, even if you aren't a customer anymore. You just have to log into webmail once every 90 days to prevent them from being shut off. When you set up a new account, you just call them and ask them to re-associate them with your new account (which will eliminate that 90 day thing). For whatever reason their security department has to do it, I guess to prevent someone from fraudulently taking over your email. It has been done in the past, but I can't guarantee they'll be wiling to re-associate forever, they may catch on and realize it is a good way to try and deter people from using this trick.

They have changed their policy (and systems recently too) and nobody there, not even their retentions team, can extend your price or give you a new customer price, etc. Even if you're willing to sign a contract. The system is totally locked down. All they can do is try to sell you another package (hence trying to add mobile and try to decrease your "overall" cost by reducing your competing cell phone bill, and it also adds a discount onto internet). In fact I found even the most senior customer care team there which they keep kind of secret and can only be reached by escalating through several other teams first, didn't have as good of deals as I could get from directly within my mom's account.

They do have one way around it sort of, if you get told something totally wrong or something gets messed up on your account, there is a regional executive care team (the secret one I mentioned above) that can put a credit on your account, so like if your price went up by $20 but it wasn't supposed to for another year (happened to someone I know) they put a $240 credit on the account to cover that. But even they can't adjust the monthly price and they'll only do that if you have clear documentation that they are in the wrong.

So the only solution is to swap carriers or trick their system into thinking you're a new customer (which is actually pretty easy, doesn't even seem to care if you use the same name etc, but I think most change to the spouse's name). You'll of course lose your diamond rewards status (20+ years) but that hasn't really provided many good incentives lately, at least not if you don't have their mobile service also.

Oddly though when my mom's price was about to expire, I went into her account and they had a promo listed for $10 less than she was paying, rate locked for 1 year with no contract, then year 2 is $20 more. So actually didn't have to jump through any hoops this time, but will have to check again in December to see what can be done, or possibly cancel and re-sign. They are laying fiber near her so the competition may help things too.

However I've been trying to get her to agree to go with outlook.com and start moving stuff over just so she isn't tied to comcast emails anymore, even though you can keep them after cancelling, you have to remember to log into webmail every 3 months, which she never does as she uses outlook on the desktop.

LOL The only reason we have their phone service it is "free", and any attempts to remove causes our price to increase.

Back On Topic:
Our GT-AX6000 is handling the blazing speeds (1.2/40) from isp without challenge.

LOL The only reason we have their phone service it is "free", and any attempts to remove causes our price to increase.

Yeah that was always the case, but that's actually changed as of a couple months ago as the whole "triple play" thing has changed. They've redone all their packages to more of a mix&match model but you get a discount for having more than 1 thing. However it may still increase your price as an existing customer, but you can log into your account and see, you can add stuff to your cart and change it around without actually submitting an order (make sure you go far enough to see the estimated taxes and fees since the stupid broadcast TV and sports fees add like $40 to $50 to the price). They do still have some packages but from what I saw they came out to the same price as just adding those things yourself, but I didn't check a lot of combos.

I was referring to the mobile phone service though, that is what can potentially get you a discount on your internet and also save you some money over your current carrier. Their service isn't bad as it uses Verizon but their data allotment is not great. The $15 per month plan is only 1 gig, but unlimited is $30 (requires 2 lines, $45 for a single line) which isn't bad, though in reality it is a 20 gig plan and 1.5mbit/sec capped after that. They have plans with more data before the cap too.

For my mom, 1GB is 10x more than she needs so the $15 per month plan is perfect for her, especially since she got like $500 in gift cards for signing up, $10 per month off internet, and another $200 gift card from the rewards program after a year.

I also moved her to their streaming only TV service, Choice TV Select, which does not require the broadcast TV or sports fees. With the basic tier plus entertainment addon it comes to like $52 per month all in. You do have to return the flex box after you activate the service, otherwise they start charging you $10 a month for it calling it a "TV box". Then you just watch it on fireTV, roku, or whatever your preferred platform is. They also have sports and kids add ons and you can add on premium channels too. It isn't for everyone, if you have tons of channels and want them all, it would not work, but for what she uses, it is perfect. She was on DirecTV stream and it had just gone up to $85 per month for the same channels.

YouTube TV is another good one, it is $65 a month but includes a lot more channels and more devices can stream at once (5 instead of 2 I think). But none of them were channels she needed so we went with the comcast one. I also bought her a modem and router years ago so she doesn't have to pay that fee. She needs local channels and there are only a few streaming providers that offer that. If you don't care about those, there are more options and they are cheaper.

Casa Griswald has had the same emails for 20+ years, and if we close our account, then we lose our emails.
Using the ISP email accounts? Is that still a thing?

Thinking back to the Bell sympatico days... good times...

@Clark Griswald @drinkingbird

The easier solution is to ditch CC completely. The other option is go into one of the stores and have them disconnect everything and rebuild the package again. Technically it's "rolling" the account but, whatever. It's the only way to bypass the pricing games and get the best price. Their reps are usually idiots though and require some hand holding to get it done. Basically you bring in all your leased equipment and tell them to shut off everything. Sometimes have them remove all services and add antenna service to the account to keep it "open". Then go back in after everything is removed and add your services back with the promo rates applied for 12+ months.

Also, using their forum to get an agent to handle it online is an option as well. I locked a 3 year price on their gig service that way before finally kicking them to the curb last year completely. Never really had any significant issues with them other than pricing. Just got sick of the bills and switched to FWA instead. Sure, it's slower but, I don't have to play games to keep a lower rate monthly. And I have it hooked up to a power bank which keeps me online for an additional 16+ hours if the power goes out. And the FWA box works fine in the car as well for travel needs. It cuts the costs of the phone plan considerably when you don't need data in your pocket all of the time. In most places I go to there's WIFI for the phone to connect to anyway. so it's not really an issue. The only thing about this route is moving your phone number to an app like Google Voice so you're not dependent on a monthly voice subscription / sim to keep it active.

Using the ISP email accounts? Is that still a thing?

Thinking back to the Bell sympatico days... good times...
This is exactly what I was thinking. No way would I tie myself to an ISP email in case I switch. So many good options out there these days ...

@Clark Griswald @drinkingbird

The easier solution is to ditch CC completely. The other option is go into one of the stores and have them disconnect everything and rebuild the package again. Technically it's "rolling" the account but, whatever. It's the only way to bypass the pricing games and get the best price. Their reps are usually idiots though and require some hand holding to get it done. Basically you bring in all your leased equipment and tell them to shut off everything. Sometimes have them remove all services and add antenna service to the account to keep it "open". Then go back in after everything is removed and add your services back with the promo rates applied for 12+ months.

Also, using their forum to get an agent to handle it online is an option as well. I locked a 3 year price on their gig service that way before finally kicking them to the curb last year completely. Never really had any significant issues with them other than pricing. Just got sick of the bills and switched to FWA instead. Sure, it's slower but, I don't have to play games to keep a lower rate monthly. And I have it hooked up to a power bank which keeps me online for an additional 16+ hours if the power goes out. And the FWA box works fine in the car as well for travel needs. It cuts the costs of the phone plan considerably when you don't need data in your pocket all of the time. In most places I go to there's WIFI for the phone to connect to anyway. so it's not really an issue. The only thing about this route is moving your phone number to an app like Google Voice so you're not dependent on a monthly voice subscription / sim to keep it active.

Many don't have that option to ditch them completely, sure more places have access to 5G or satellite but the lower speed, higher latency, and lack of TV and phone is either a show stopper or a real change of lifestyle, moving to VOIP, geting satellite or streaming TV (streaming is a big adjustment and will probably have issues with either of those technologies), etc. In a lot of cases, the combo ends up being more expensive in the long run too.

From what many reps told me (one of which was in one of the senior departments and was being brutally honest about several things, including how messed up the new system was), the account rolling is not possible anymore in the new system they just rolled out a few months ago, and their social media reps who used to have the same powers as the retention department are just as hand tied as everyone else now.

You can certainly gather up all your equipment and head to an xfinity store to try it, but as far as I know you will have to cancel and sign up a brand new account. And from what I've seen, the deals online are all significantly cheaper than what the phone and store reps have, the deals even say "requires online purchase" or whatever.

This is exactly what I was thinking. No way would I tie myself to an ISP email in case I switch. So many good options out there these days ...

Well at least Comcast does let you keep your emails for life even if you ditch them as an ISP.

The person who posted that said they've had those emails for 20 years (well in reality probably used to have @attbi or some other ISP that was gobbled up by CC and got converted at some point, but there are plenty of people who have had these emails for a long time and it is challenging switching). I have a family member in the same boat, over 20 years, and reluctant to change.

few months ago
There's always a way around the GUI billing system if you find the old school reps. There's also an SSH into the backend that bypasses all of the non sense. Most don't know how to get into it though these days. The same goes for most other cable companies. When I had to deal with the billing system it was 1000x faster with the codes you put into the green screen rather than dealing with whatever genius dumbed down GUI they were rolling out for the dumb.

Anyway.... $50/mo or less for 5G FWA, Streaming ~$30 is less than most pay just for internet.

There are so many options out there depending on what you want to watch though and there are tons of free streaming options like Plex or Pluto that give that old school cable grid guide. It's not that bad once you detox from the cable tit and get over it. I have no issues with streaming over 5G though unless there's an actual network issue and a reboot of the gateway fixes it in under 2 minutes. My average ping to google is 30ms. I use google voice on my phone to keep my number active and the sound is the same as a true cell connection. Even your phone these days is using VOIP under a different name and not using the old hand off to POTS. Anything with 4G/LTE/5G runs voice over IP these days.

Anyway... I cut the cord for TV back in 2017? and haven't looked back since. That extra $100/mo for TV goes towards other stuff. Dropping to 5G FWA was the last connection to CC and saves another $40/mo. If you're too lazy to look into other options and don't mind that $200/mo bill that goes up every year feel free to stay with cable.

I've been looking into some data only SIM options as well for the phone that are looking really nice for 5GB/mo for $15/mo or a 10-15GB/mo plan for under $30. With G-Voice that works just fine as all voice / SMS goes through it anyway. I get why people pay way too much for services. It's just how they do things and get content with autopay each month and find it to be a hassle to look for something better.

There's always a way around the GUI billing system if you find the old school reps. There's also an SSH into the backend that bypasses all of the non sense. Most don't know how to get into it though these days. The same goes for most other cable companies. When I had to deal with the billing system it was 1000x faster with the codes you put into the green screen rather than dealing with whatever genius dumbed down GUI they were rolling out for the dumb.

Anyway.... $50/mo or less for 5G FWA, Streaming ~$30 is less than most pay just for internet.

There are so many options out there depending on what you want to watch though and there are tons of free streaming options like Plex or Pluto that give that old school cable grid guide. It's not that bad once you detox from the cable tit and get over it. I have no issues with streaming over 5G though unless there's an actual network issue and a reboot of the gateway fixes it in under 2 minutes. My average ping to google is 30ms. I use google voice on my phone to keep my number active and the sound is the same as a true cell connection. Even your phone these days is using VOIP under a different name and not using the old hand off to POTS. Anything with 4G/LTE/5G runs voice over IP these days.

Anyway... I cut the cord for TV back in 2017? and haven't looked back since. That extra $100/mo for TV goes towards other stuff. Dropping to 5G FWA was the last connection to CC and saves another $40/mo. If you're too lazy to look into other options and don't mind that $200/mo bill that goes up every year feel free to stay with cable.

I've been looking into some data only SIM options as well for the phone that are looking really nice for 5GB/mo for $15/mo or a 10-15GB/mo plan for under $30. With G-Voice that works just fine as all voice / SMS goes through it anyway. I get why people pay way too much for services. It's just how they do things and get content with autopay each month and find it to be a hassle to look for something better.

Dunno, I'd think if that most senior department was willing to issue $240 in credit with no way to prevent me from cancelling as soon as it ran out, they'd rather have just changed the monthly price. Maybe once the system has been out for a while people will figure a way around it but I've been doing this yearly for my mom for a decade or more, and this year was definitely different. I could always get to someone that could just extend her price, give her a new customer package, extend the contract, etc. Blew through all those departments and more this year.

Personally I haven't had cable TV since around 2015. First went with an antenna on the roof (plenty of HD broadcasts in the Boston area) and added various free streaming apps a few years back when I got a fire stick for some crazy price. Don't even pay for streaming. But for mom she's not going to deal with switching between various inputs and remembering which app has which thing for free, but still a fraction of what she was paying back when she had traditional cable. Under $100 now for TV, internet, cell phone, and landline (Ooma - which she needs for emergencies, have it set up so she can tell alexa to call 911 but it requires a landline interface since for some reason amazon can't figure out how to comply with E-911 requirements). Plus she qualifies for the $30 ACP credit so more like $70 all in.

A lot has changed since 2017, that $100 in TV is probably over $200 now. The broadcast and sports fees are $45 alone even with just the most basic cable.

I'm getting 1.4Gb WIRED from my XB8 using a M1 MacBook Pro and a USB-C to RJ45 adapter to the 2.5Gb port on the XB8. (I pay for 1.2Gb from Xfinity). 2 feet away on WiFi I only get 800Mb. The M1 MacBook doesn't support WiFi 6E so I went to the apple store and bought am M2 MacBook Pro which does support WiFi 6E. I got the same exact results with both machines. I returned the M2 MacBook to the Apple Store.

The XB8 SAYS the 6GHz is ENABLED. Is there something else I've got to do to get the Tri out of this Tri-Band Modem? Just ordered a iPhone 15 Pro Max to add to my WiFi 6E compatible devices.

Attachments

• 1695168542425.png
    1695168542425.png
    86 KB · Views: 11
What you get is excellent for both Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E with 80MHz wide channel to 2-stream client. This is what Wi-Fi can do.

Your iPhone whatever model it is has nothing to do with high speed connection. Pro or Max doesn't matter. Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6E doesn't matter.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!