What's new

Asus Router Wireless and Professional Settings questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingafish

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I have an RT-AX3000 Asus router (https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AX3000/), and I see that they are advertising technologies such as
  • Increase Capacity and Efficiency – Supporting not only MU-MIMO but also OFDMA technique to efficiently allocate channels, communicate with multiple devices simultaneously
  • Target Wake Time (TWT) allows RT-AX3000 to schedule designated intervals for devices to transmit data. This allows them to sleep when there is no need to wait for a router signal, reducing power consumption by up to 7X for significantly improved battery life*.
Questions
  1. Why aren't these settings enabled by default?
  2. What is WiFi Agile Multiband, any recommendations whether to enable it, anything to watch out for if I do?
  3. Should I enable Multi-User MIMO?
  4. Should I enable OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO? Which of the drop down should I select?
  5. What happens if I select "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" under OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO but Multi-User MIMO is disabled?

Wireless tab:
1649327485370.png

Professional tab:
1649327531330.png
1649327775194.png

Update: I found out that in 5 Ghz Band settings of Professional tab, MU MIMO and OFDMA is enabled.

1649333747122.png

Last edited:
Most of this is marketing hype.

Most of the settings you cite are not enabled by default because they can cause incompatibility problems with older devices and ASUS doesn't want the support hassles. Many manufacturers take this approach.

What is WiFi Agile Multiband, any recommendations whether to enable it, anything to watch out for if I do?
Enabling it could help or hurt roaming/bandsteering performance.

Most Wi-Fi 5 (11ac) and newer devices support MU-MIMO at this point, so I'd enable it. But it's unlikely you'll notice an improvement unless you specifically tested for it using at least two devices running constant traffic simultaneously.

The OFDMA settings matter only if you are using multiple Wi-Fi 6 devices. Again, you'd only see a performance difference if you were specifically testing for it using a LOT of AX STAs.

Forget even trying to see a benefit from TWT. It's really to minimize power draw for low data rate IoT devices.

Last edited:
its funny because I turned on Wi-Fi agile multiband the other day and my cameras are working 100% better.