What's new

ASUS RT-5300 Version 3.0.0.4.380.3941

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had strange results in this firmware.
Anything connected to my 2.4ghz band could not see other devices on the network.
5ghz had no problems seeing devices on the 5ghz or LAN.
I checked and isolation was off.
Reapplied firmware a couple of times and reset.

Downgraded and the problem went away.

I started having the same exact issues. I ended up reverting to 3341 and all is well again.

I started having the same exact issues. I ended up reverting to 3341 and all is well again.
I had exactly the same experience with the newest firmware from ASUS and the only way to make the router usable again was to downgrade to 3341.
ASUS should take down 3941 from their website!

The same for me, could not use my printer any more from devices connected to the 2.4 G. After reverting to 3341 everything ok. I hope that asus will fix this soon.

The only issue I have noticed when changing any wireless settings the wireless turns off and wont turn back on. Even after running a reboot. You have to hard power cycle to have the wireless connection come back. Also the wireless both 2.4/5 seem a bit spottier than previous builds.

I found 2 more bugs in this release

1) DDNS gives this error message

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.
2) SSH is broken. Forwarded connection refused by server, using the SSH tunnel. I can no longer get to most https:// sites over SSH using a -D socks proxy to remotely surf the web securely. It used to work and now it doesn't Nothing was changed on my end. This seems to be something broken in the SSH server. This is also described here in this thread. Can we fix the internal SSH server for stock ASUS firmware? http://www.snbforums.com/threads/forwarded-connection-refused-by-server-using-the-ssh-tunnel.28002/

Asus updated dropbear to 2016.73, which has broken port forward (been broken starting with 2015.67 or 68). They will need to upgrade to 2016.74 to fix it.

Asus updated dropbear to 2016.73, which has broken port forward (been broken starting with 2015.67 or 68). They will need to upgrade to 2016.74 to fix it.
Thanks Merlin. I sent that to Asus Support as feedback. Hopefully they will release the next firmware update with the updated dropbear ssh server version.

Asus

When will you update the AC5300? .3941 has several issues that need to be resolved.

AC5300 is definitely due for an update. The current .3941 has several issues that need resolved. Four prominent issues are below.

- Broken SSH server (will not port forward https:// sites
- Wireless setting changes crash the wireless. You have to completely power cycle the router to bring it back up
- Missing wireless performance change ability. I have multiple routers in the house some used as WAP's. However my main router I can't turn the signal strength down to accommodate proper hand off's to the next WAP using the disconnect below certain signal strength option.
- DDNS gives the error message even though it doesn't have a private WAN IP Address
The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.

I would like resolution as well!
I believe the ASUS firmware has corrupted two AC5300.
They work great out the box but once they are updated to the lastest Asus firmware they fail soon after.
I am picking my 3rd replacement from Best Buy today.
Luckily I bought the Geek Squad protection plan so I haven't lost anything on this horrible router.
If this 3rd one dies I am getting the Nighthawk X10 (already have the x8)

1st AC5300
2.4ghz band stopped broadcasting. Resetting and reapplying the firmware did not resolve. In the GUI the band was displayed a channel 0

2nd AC5300
2.4ghz band started broadcasting a 5ghz channel 48. Rest and reapplied firmware but did not resolve.

You would think that ASUS would rollout the red carpet for the consumers that bought their $400 router.
I filled out a support ticket about not seeing devices connected to 2.4ghz and got Zero response...

I would like resolution as well!
I believe the ASUS firmware has corrupted two AC5300.
They work great out the box but once they are updated to the lastest Asus firmware they fail soon after.
I am picking my 3rd replacement from Best Buy today.
Luckily I bought the Geek Squad protection plan so I haven't lost anything on this horrible router.
If this 3rd one dies I am getting the Nighthawk X10 (already have the x8)

1st AC5300
2.4ghz band stopped broadcasting. Resetting and reapplying the firmware did not resolve. In the GUI the band was displayed a channel 0

2nd AC5300
2.4ghz band started broadcasting a 5ghz channel 48. Rest and reapplied firmware but did not resolve.

You would think that ASUS would rollout the red carpet for the consumers that bought their $400 router.
I filled out a support ticket about not seeing devices connected to 2.4ghz and got Zero response...

This has happened to me, on my third with Merlin's firmware, I am reluctant to try another Asus Firmware, as it will more than likely kill the 3rd one, Nighthawk X10 would of been my next as well :)

Regards

What way/contact are you using to report the problem?

What I can say for my own experience it that ASUS support does often reply to all reported problems, nothing to point out really, I don't doubt on those if you are contacting your country ASUS representative support, I had the same problem in the past, a complete disaster, you better contact directly internationally.

I reported the problem via Feedback in the router plus multiple support VIP tickets via Asus. No response to any.

Anyway I just switched to Merlin's build which runs much better and includes more control so I am happy. Don't know why I didn't change any sooner :)

For those that have been waiting for a stable official firmware 4180 is out for the 5300. I did an nvram erase after applying it and then reconfigured it and it is working fine for me.

I have installed the latest FW and now my printers keep going offline? The only way to re-establish a connection is to reboot the router? Anyone else having these issue and any solutions?

I have installed the latest FW and now my printers keep going offline? The only way to re-establish a connection is to reboot the router? Anyone else having these issue and any solutions?
Did you do a factory reset prior to configuring it? Your problem sounds a lot like the issue I was experiencing with 3941. And to be clear, you have 4180 installed right?

Did you do a factory reset prior to configuring it? Your problem sounds a lot like the issue I was experiencing with 3941. And to be clear, you have 4180 installed right?
Yes, did a factory reset prior to upgrade. I did install 4180. Had to revert back to 3341. Looks like 4180 will not keep the network connection with my printers?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!