What's new

[ASUS RT-AC1200] - Help configuring port forwarding.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK I think the penny has dropped. I've been working under a false assumption about how your network was previously setup :rolleyes:.

What was the device you previously had, the one that broke?

OK I think the penny has dropped. I've been working under a false assumption about how your network was previously setup :rolleyes:.

What was the device you previously had, the one that broke?
It's an ASUS router as well, model name: RT-N12. The previously-mentioned modem is the same as before, no changes there, except i've rebooted it whenever i reboot the router.

p.s. Sorry i did not mention the modem earlier, didn't think that was a factor.

Last edited:
It's an ASUS router as well, model name: RT-N12. The previously-mentioned modem is the same as before, no changes there, except i've rebooted it whenever i reboot the router.
Can you remember whether the RT-N12 was configured as a router or an access point?

The problem at the moment is that you have two routers, the D-Link and the Asus. Both of them are doing NAT, firewall, DHCP, etc. So you have a "network behind a network". You want a single network. There are two ways to achieve this. You can either change your Asus from "router mode" to "access point mode". Or you can leave the Asus as your router and reconfigure the D-Link as a bridge. I have no experience of the D-Link so I don't know whether that's possible but this link apparently shows you how to set it up.

So the choice is yours. Reconfigure the D-Link as a bridge, or reconfigure the Asus as an access point.

Can you remember whether the RT-N12 was configured as a router or an access point?

The problem at the moment is that you have two routers, the D-Link and the Asus. Both of them are doing NAT, firewall, DHCP, etc. So you have a "network behind a network". You want a single network. There are two ways to achieve this. You can either change your Asus from "router mode" to "access point mode". Or you can leave the Asus as your router and reconfigure the D-Link as a bridge. I have no experience of the D-Link so I don't know whether that's possible but this link apparently shows you how to set it up.

So the choice is yours. Reconfigure the D-Link as a bridge, or reconfigure the Asus as an access point.
Yes, i understand the problem now, thank you for explaining it clearly. I configured this other router at least 2 years ago, so no, i do not remember. As i understand it, i'd basically be disabling most of the functionality of the router, if i put it in access point mode, is that correct? If so, I'd rather use the full functionality of the router, which would mean configuring the modem as a bridge. Let me look at those instructions and see if they're straightforward. thanks!

I don't think HowIFix's idea about a static IP address is correct but you could always ask your ISP whether they block certain types of traffic.

In my country, ISPs offer Static IPs at 5 Dollars, if I do not contract that service this happens:
  1. I can not use this Broadband Quality Monitor (shows all red)
  2. I have all the ports closed, Xbox say double NAT Strict and PS4 says NAT 3 Strict, although UPnP is enabled or the ports are added in Port Forwarding.
  3. ETC. (you can name anything else that needs Static IP or Open ports) :(
The IP in the router is different in any page that helps to know my public IP.
Example:
  • Router: 172.30.66.xx
    QuNOof3.png
  • This page https://www.xmyip.com/ shows: 190.99.31.xx (I'm using VPN and I'm just trying to explain)
    IoaI1s6.png

After contracting with my ISP the static IP with all open ports for 5 dollars, this happened:
  1. Now I can use this Broadband Quality Monitor
  2. Xbox Open and PS4 Nat 2 Open (If I connect the PS4 directly to the modem it changes to NAT 1)
  3. Everything else works! ;)
The IP in the router is the same shown in any page that helps to know my public IP.
Example:
  • Router: 190.30.77.xx
    QuNOof3.png
  • This page https://www.xmyip.com/ shows: 190.30.77.xx (I'm using VPN and I'm just trying to explain)
    IoaI1s6.png

I like this:

Notes:

- Every month in the invoice of my ISP shows that I have contracted a static IP and appears my IP.
- Always use VPN if you contract a static IP. :D
- Do not use UPnP

Last edited:
please post your exactly IP addresses, all 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x are private and we all use them, no risc at all!
Only WAN from modem keep secret (if it is permanent).

Maybe your old router has been in AP mode before and not router mode.
Give it a try, nothing to loose and done in 2 minutes.
And all working like before.

Dont think it makes it much better to use this old Asus router instead of your provider modemrouter in part of router-functionality.

And forget dedicated WAN-IP from your provider, a lot to much security risc with your knowledge and far beyond your horizon (mine too).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!