What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 Smart Connect Rules Fine Tuning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Whenever I change my Smart Connect Rules I noticed that my "Target Band" settings never get saved. It actually removes all my Target Band settings. This is very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this? I am on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9529

Try the new 380_2695 beta Asus released a few days ago.

Sorry for the noob question here. How do I go about acquiring this said firmware? When I check through my Asus GUI page it says I am on the latest firmware?

Much appreciated!

As you've learned, you shouldn't rely on the 'auto' update mechanism to properly notify you of new firmware.

Go to the Asus support site for your model and see the list of available downloads for your model instead (and always).

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/11/2/0/136/sk9NsZJBiTmcVrql/30/

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot. Will be bookmarking that page.

Glad it worked, but don't bookmark it. ;)

I would simply ask google to search for "RT-AC3200 firmware" each time you check instead.

Yes.

My settings which seemed to work for a time are now back to a "one radio EVERYBODY GO TO 5G2!!!!" behavior and trying to change and try other settings i find they "dont take". I run apply and connection cycles but then only one or two setting has changed not the whole page worth. Very weird. Havent rebooted in a few hours, might try another client... Leaning towards turning off SC again. Disappointing.

Whenever I change my Smart Connect Rules I noticed that my "Target Band" settings never get saved. It actually removes all my Target Band settings. This is very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this? I am on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9529
I noticed this issue as well, I have send ASUS feedback of this bug.

I'm having the same problem with my Amazon Echo; however, I'm on an AC5300. Unfortunately, under 5GHz-2, I can't set the VHT to anything but AC only, except in the last box, I can set all.

You have to VHT in the "Interface Select and Quality Procedures" to "All". This one line will restrict what you can choose for the other sections.

I have the beta, you can't set your channels manually with smart connect on can you?!?!?! That's all I want at this point! For some reason it puts things on screwed up channels with smart connect on. argh.

I think Smart Connect is just not ready for daily use. Some devices work fine. Others will drop connections as they shift between channels every so often. Some cannot even connect at all.

For example, my Amazon Echo refuses to connect with Smart Connect even when using firmware 9.0.0.4.380 with the defaults. I attempted to adjust them to the setting others have mentioned but after a while, the same situation continues to repeat itself. Disconnections followed by the inability to reconnect.

If anyone has found a way to make Smart Connect work seamlessly without any issues with Apple or Amazon devices let me know.

I am growing frustrated and considering moving back to a dual band system.

I had my echo's working fine with smart connect on but yesterday one of them quit working. I tried to setup wifi again many times using the Android app and a Windows laptop. Finally gave up and turned smart connect off and reconfigured all my devices to connect to a specific radio.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think Smart Connect is just not ready for daily use. Some devices work fine. Others will drop connections as they shift between channels every so often. Some cannot even connect at all.

For example, my Amazon Echo refuses to connect with Smart Connect even when using firmware 9.0.0.4.380 with the defaults. I attempted to adjust them to the setting others have mentioned but after a while, the same situation continues to repeat itself. Disconnections followed by the inability to reconnect.

If anyone has found a way to make Smart Connect work seamlessly without any issues with Apple or Amazon devices let me know.

I am growing frustrated and considering moving back to a dual band system.
Or use three different SSID and manually select where to connect each client.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Or use three different SSID and manually select where to connect each client.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Merlin,

I agree that I could do this, but I would prefer the "feature" worked properly. Is it only ASUS devices that are having these kinds of issues with "Smart Connect" type features? I know that Linksys had this on the EA9200 and it was a TERRIBLE, worse than ASUS in fact. I also tested this same feature on one of the newer Archer routers and had a very similar experience. I am starting to see a consistent theme, this enhanced "feature" just isn't mature yet.

Do you feel the same? I would love to hear your thoughts as you help debug the firmware/software.

Merlin,

I agree that I could do this, but I would prefer the "feature" worked properly. Is it only ASUS devices that are having these kinds of issues with "Smart Connect" type features? I know that Linksys had this on the EA9200 and it was a TERRIBLE, worse than ASUS in fact. I also tested this same feature on one of the newer Archer routers and had a very similar experience. I am starting to see a consistent theme, this enhanced "feature" just isn't mature yet.

Do you feel the same? I would love to hear your thoughts as you help debug the firmware/software.

Smart Connect will always remain quirky regardless of the router, because there's no guarantee that clients will be able to gracefully deal with being bumped to a different radio.

I would imagine though that it would not bump them often, perhaps only upon connect, disconnect and reconnect. So when the TCP IP handshake occurs it determines which radios to steer the device towards. Just thinking aloud.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would imagine though that it would not bump them often, perhaps only upon connect, disconnect and reconnect. So when the TCP IP handshake occurs it determines which radios to steer the device towards. Just thinking aloud.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe it is much more dynamic than that. That is why 'smart connect' is still too dumb for me to use or recommend to anyone.

Smart Connect will always remain quirky regardless of the router, because there's no guarantee that clients will be able to gracefully deal with being bumped to a different radio.
Totally agree with Merlin! Using 3 separate bands with manual assignment keeps one out of the 'Land of Bad Things!' Until devices are ALL able to withstand constant band changes without a hitch, do yourself a favor and manually assign your devices. That allows the 3200 to sing and do all that it was designed to do...and that is offer all the bandwidth your network system can handle!!

What exactly does the "Enable Load Balance" do?

This is potentially a great feature, but nobody seems to have any idea if it works or how it works. Does anyone here have any additional information regarding this setting?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!