What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 Smart Connect Rules Fine Tuning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This whole idea of using Smart Connect sucks. In my opinion, it should work to some degree for everyone out of the box and then tweak the settings from there, but with PHY > 110Mbps on a 2.4Ghz band obviously won't work. So, I've decided to keep the Smart Connect disabled for now.

If I want to keep Smart Connect disabled, but use the same SSID for both 5Ghz bands, should I enable Roaming Assistant so the client can switch between the two if needed?

I have the same issue with an Amazon Echo and Smart Connect on the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378_7838). Works great with Smart Connect off, absolutely cannot connect with it turned on.

When upgrading firmware on the RT-AC3200, don't forget to reset the Smart Connect settings to their default value, as those might be different with the updated firmware.

When upgrading firmware on the RT-AC3200, don't forget to reset the Smart Connect settings to their default value, as those might be different with the updated firmware.
Yes good point. I made sure to reset the router to default settings after upgrading the firmware. I'm not sure if the Echo would have continued to connect with the old smart connect settings but I suppose I could try that.

Yes good point. I made sure to reset the router to default settings after upgrading the firmware. I'm not sure if the Echo would have continued to connect with the old smart connect settings but I suppose I could try that.

Has anyone seen any official reports released by Asus regarding this Smart Connect feature? I really grateful for everyone who has contributed to this thread, but I just find it hard to believe that Asus wouldn't follow up with a step by step, more detailed instruction guide, which everyone could use to optimize the setting for this to work like it's supposed to in each individual environment. I realize that one setting can't work for everyone, but they could at least get a starting point and start making adjustments from there to get this router working like it should for each individual person.

The whole idea of Smart Connect sounds good in theory, but getting it to work optimally is another story. I mean, wouldn't it be a good idea to at least incorporate Roaming Assistant into Sma

Yes, the only time I did anything with the firmware is flashing Merlin's 378.55 firmware after taking it out of the box. Besides that, I haven't touched it. I tried to get it working once, right after I got it, but no success. I thought tonight I would try again and use some of the settings some people posted to use as a starting point, but right now, I have 3 wireless devices out of 20 that have picked up the signal and connected. Seriously though, even when Smart Connect is enabled, you have access to make changed under the professional setting tab under each band. Wouldn't you think you would need to enable roaming assistant since you're supposed to switch from one band to another automatically based on the criteria put in under the Smart Connect? Under the Basic Wireless settings, you can't change much except the SSID, but you still have access to the professional settings for each individual band.

I have the same issue with an Amazon Echo and Smart Connect on the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378_7838). Works great with Smart Connect off, absolutely cannot connect with it turned on.

The echo will not connect if I have Channel bandwidth set to 20/40 HMZ. It looks like Smart Connect set the bandwidth to 20/40.

Anyone know of an option to set it to 20 even in Smart Connect mode?

I just bought a 3200, I've upgraded it to the new firmware as part of the initial setup - and I've hit something strange with Smart Connect straight away.

Pretty much everyone on our street including my immediate neighbours use the same ISP with their provided router, which sticks 2.4ghz on channel 6. Even though I've got strong (80%+) ch6 signals from both sides coming in, the Asus has used ... yup, channel 6.

With Smart Connect disabled you can pick your channel of course, I was going to go with 1 or 11 which seem to be totally unused here. Turn it on and it goes straight for 6. Does anyone know if this can be changed? I had hoped to use the feature.

Has anyone used this with the latest firmware?

I have 3.0.0.4.378_7838 and I have it with all default settings. Smart connect ON.

My small-medium size apartment has HORRIBLE wireless signal on the opposite side to where the router is. Completely unacceptable for a $300 router.

Has anyone used this with the latest firmware?

I have 3.0.0.4.378_7838 and I have it with all default settings. Smart connect ON.

My small-medium size apartment has HORRIBLE wireless signal on the opposite side to where the router is. Completely unacceptable for a $300 router.

I have been on the latest 9xxx for a week, all last few months firmware upgrade are user interface improvement, or bug fix, absolutely no sign of Smart Connect improvement. The default setting of Smart Connect works great as expected, except Fire TV no connection, which has been the case since the very beginning. Fire TV stick however connected ok.

I upgraded to AC3200 from AC87 the first opportunity I have, mainly for the Smart Connect. The single SSID is great idea, except it has flaw. If not using the default setting, no matter how I tweaked it, the 5G bands connection is a mess, either all ended on 5G-1 or 5G-2 and eventually (after a few days) brought the whole wifi performance to a halt (streaming stutter, gaming glitch, not able to connect etc. seemed new in the latest firmware 9xxx, didn't notice in 7838).

Hi Guys,

I'm new here at the forum, I had the same issue with disconnecting iPAD's and iPhone's.

We have around 20 wifi connected devices and i have been trying out several different settings on my ASUS AC3200

This is the setting that works the best for me... will try to tune it later on... but now at least it does not disconnect the iOS devices all the time...

I have also changed the Key update thing to zero.

I use the latest Merlin firmware 56_2

Best regards
Tintin

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 2,293
Hmmm.... had a family member with an RT-AC3200... here's what we did to get things sorted...

1) Break apart the 5G radios with Standard Setup (e.g. no more Tri-Band Smart Connect stuff)

5G-1 became "WirelessMedia" SSID
5G-2 became "Wireless"

2) Went common SSID with the 2.4GHz radio with 5G-2

2G - became "Wireless" as the SSID there

3) He wanted a Guest Network, so we enabled Guest on the 2.4GHz radio only... as "WirelessGuest"

For the rest - set 2.4G as B/G/N (disabling Turbo), and Mixed/Auto for the 5G radios..

Client side - streamers/STB's all got "WirelessMedia", the other clients got "Wireless", and of course, guests get "WirelessGuest"

And he's pretty happy, works fine with his Androids, iDevices, and Windows -

Hope this helps others...

5G-2 became "Wireless"

Client side - streamers/STB's all got "WirelessMedia", the other clients got "Wireless", and of course, guests get "WirelessGuest"

Similar thought popped up when I first saw two 5G radio in a router. I thought this is one good use of the second radio. Another use is to maximise wireless throughput between two groups of clients (if the clients can only stay on wireless).

People can even do so on a router having only one 2.4G and one 5G radio with some planning.

Key update thing to zero.
Key update thing no longer needs to be to zero , at least I tried 3600 stock seating and it no longer disconnects , at least I have not seen it disconnect on the new FW

Hmmm.... had a family member with an RT-AC3200... here's what we did to get things sorted...

1) Break apart the 5G radios with Standard Setup (e.g. no more Tri-Band Smart Connect stuff)

5G-2 became "Wireless"

2) Went common SSID with the 2.4GHz radio with 5G-2

3) He wanted a Guest Network, so we enabled Guest on the 2.4GHz radio only... as "WirelessGuest"

For the rest - set 2.4G as B/G/N (disabling Turbo), and Mixed/Auto for the 5G radios..

And he's pretty happy, works fine with his Androids, iDevices, and Windows -

Hope this helps others...

Want to thank you for this, I configured as you recommended and now it works great

2.4 and 5G-1 is one wifi net .
5G-2 is my the link to my AC66 repeater router where I have on another floor.

This is the most stabl connection I have had so far. No dropouts so far....

Merry Christmas buddy.....

Want to thank you for this, I configured as you recommended and now it works great

Thanks - if it helps a few folks, all the better...

Best wishes to you and the collective hive mind here - Happy Holidays!

Similar thought popped up when I first saw two 5G radio in a router. I thought this is one good use of the second radio. Another use is to maximise wireless throughput between two groups of clients (if the clients can only stay on wireless).

Once we got him sorted, he swears by the RT-AC3200, not at the device ;)

A different kind of 'smart connect'

My WiFi coverage on the other side of the house is really bad. I've tried using a router setup in AP mode to extend the signal from my RT-AC3200, but all I get are frequent disconnects. I have my DHCP server start handing out IP addresses at .16 and everything below .16 I setup with a static IP address, like a couple of switches, the AP, and a handful of other devices, like printers.

Being unsuccessful setting up the AP, which was hardwired into a switch, I decided to buy a Linksys RE6500 AC Extender. Even with this thing, I replaced it with the AP, so I assigned it the .15 static IP, and I still have problems. I'm not using Smart Connect, but does anyone know if I'm using an AP or an extender with DHCP disabled, do I need to set its IP address to something within the range of the DHCP server so devices connecting to it can get assigned IP addresses or if I need to setup the AP, or the extender, under the LAN/Route section of the RT-AC3200? I can't seem to get any kind of extender or AP working without completely messing up my entire WiFi, and I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone she'd some light on how you have setup an AP, or extender, to work with this router? Thanks.

I was having the same problem. My Echo (in the same room as the router), two Kindle Fire HDX tablets, and two Emerson Sensi thermostats would not connect to the wireless network using Smart Connect. I disabled Smart Connect (ran all three radios under the same SSID) and everything connected fine. I noticed is that the Echo and Kindles connected to 5 Ghz-2 (which in "non smart connect mode" supported ac & n devices). This seemed to confirm what I read in forums about the order of association starting with the 5 Ghz-2 radio. What I did next will shock and amaze you!

;-)

I switched the Smart Connect Rules - swapped the OOB 5Ghz-2 rules with the 5Ghz-1 rules - making 5 Ghz-1 AC Only! Once I powered up these new rules, a ray of sunshine parted the clouds and illuminated my house, and the Smart Connect rules began working beautifully. All devices connected and spread out across the three radio according to the rules.

I've attached a screen shot of the rules. I did not keep the bandwidth utilization trigger rule that came OOB on the non-AC 5Ghz radio. Mostly to keep things simple to start. I can always add it back in if 5Gz-2 becomes congested.

Attachments

• smart-connect-rules.pdf
    218.3 KB · Views: 2,634
I was having the same problem. My Echo (in the same room as the router), two Kindle Fire HDX tablets, and two Emerson Sensi thermostats would not connect to the wireless network using Smart Connect. I disabled Smart Connect (ran all three radios under the same SSID) and everything connected fine. I noticed is that the Echo and Kindles connected to 5 Ghz-2 (which in "non smart connect mode" supported ac & n devices). This seemed to confirm what I read in forums about the order of association starting with the 5 Ghz-2 radio. What I did next will shock and amaze you!

;-)

I switched the Smart Connect Rules - swapped the OOB 5Ghz-2 rules with the 5Ghz-1 rules - making 5 Ghz-1 AC Only! Once I powered up these new rules, a ray of sunshine parted the clouds and illuminated my house, and the Smart Connect rules began working beautifully. All devices connected and spread out across the three radio according to the rules.

I've attached a screen shot of the rules. I did not keep the bandwidth utilization trigger rule that came OOB on the non-AC 5Ghz radio. Mostly to keep things simple to start. I can always add it back in if 5Gz-2 becomes congested.

I gave your solution a try and my Nests and Echo connected perfectly ! Thank You!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!