What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32738

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated to this version earlier today. Did a factory reset. All seems well so far. I'm in a non-Mesh setup.

I wanted to update my addition to this topic, re: cannot use a switch when adding a mesh node...

You can indeed add new nodes when connected through a switch. It seems there is likely too much cross talk between, already setup nodes and the router, confusing it. Leading to failures. It doesn't seem to be the switch causing the issue IMO.

Today, I reset my config from scratch, I was able to add each node through my switch, * as long as all other nodes were powered down.

I did notate one other peculiar thing. I have in my setup 2 new 68U and they setup and accepted the wired connection without issue. I also have 1 refurbed 68U from Newegg. The refurb would not make the initial connection via ethernet, only wirelessly. I gave it a shot and it setup without relocating o_O . About 5-10 seconds after it was finished with its setup and in my mesh list, it switched to wired. Maybe just coincidence, but maybe it is worth mentioning. Seems like some of the older hardware may not be working correctly with the ethernet setup ??? Thats purely a guess, based on a single test.

I have about 1 week left for a return on this refurb. I already sent one refurb back a week ago. It was constantly dropping its ethernet connection and then appeared to just fizzle out. On a reboot it would go back to working and then crash again. Notice the commonality the ethernet connection ? Maybe I am just paranoid.

I am seriously considering sending it back, I don't have a good feeling about it. Then going with 2 new units from Microcenter. 2 new for $15.00 more when purchased as a set vs what I paid Newegg. It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. I use to work with other home electronics, in another lifetime. I know they can fail new or refurbed they don't really care. :p

* Oh all units were re flashed with the current f/w and reset, then reset again! Before setting up as a node.

I wanted to update my addition to this topic, re: cannot use a switch when adding a mesh node...

You can indeed add new nodes when connected through a switch. It seems there is likely too much cross talk between, already setup nodes and the router, confusing it. Leading to failures. It doesn't seem to be the switch causing the issue IMO.

Today, I reset my config from scratch, I was able to add each node through my switch, * as long as all other nodes were powered down.

I did notate one other peculiar thing. I have in my setup 2 new 68U and they setup and accepted the wired connection without issue. I also have 1 refurbed 68U from Newegg. The refurb would not make the initial connection via ethernet, only wirelessly. I gave it a shot and it setup without relocating o_O . About 5-10 seconds after it was finished with its setup and in my mesh list, it switched to wired. Maybe just coincidence, but maybe it is worth mentioning. Seems like some of the older hardware may not be working correctly with the ethernet setup ??? Thats purely a guess, based on a single test.

I have about 1 week left for a return on this refurb. I already sent one refurb back a week ago. It was constantly dropping its ethernet connection and then appeared to just fizzle out. On a reboot it would go back to working and then crash again. Notice the commonality the ethernet connection ? Maybe I am just paranoid.

I am seriously considering sending it back, I don't have a good feeling about it. Then going with 2 new units from Microcenter. 2 new for $15.00 more when purchased as a set vs what I paid Newegg. It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. I use to work with other home electronics, in another lifetime. I know they can fail new or refurbed they don't really care. :p

* Oh all units were re flashed with the current f/w and reset, then reset again! Before setting up as a node.
Remove this node from Aimesh-list, make a factory reset and try again over ethernet to pair it as node.
I think once they done it they overcome some hidden setting problems (not effected by resets) and can connect much easier in future setups.

Started with a complete clean slate, router, reset, re uploaded f/w, initialize, then reset again, no backups, just manual entry of all entries. as to the nodes, re upload f/w, initialize and then reset, as a blank slate.

I am sure I'll give it a try again, I can't resist tinkering and tweaking things. I thought I would have covered all the possibilities. Oh well, I'll report back when I return, (out and about).

I do have to say the router re setup, has cleared a sporadic inter communication issue with a IOT device. I am looking at you Siri, and Phillips Hue. So its still a good thing having done all this.

Edit: Also used new copies of the f/w freshly downloaded. No copies.

@arthurlien

Sorry for the late reply, I ended up sending the unit that was being iffy, back to Newegg, I'll post back if I have any issue with my new 68u when it I pick a set up. I personally don't expect any issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!