What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reactions: RTN
Made a quick RT-AC5200/AC5300 concept art. Personally, I think 8 external antennas might be a bit much on the design, though I'm more concerned about actual performance than the aesthetics. But that's just me.

CM0QK1VVAAAWKaG.jpg:large

Reactions: RTN
I wonder at which point additional antennas become pointless, as they would be so close to one another that they would just overlap their respective signals.

I wonder at which point additional antennas become pointless, as they would be so close to one another that they would just overlap their respective signals.

I too have thought about that.

It seems to me that an antennae array that is position-able separate from the main router might be an option?

I too have thought about that.

It seems to me that an antennae array that is position-able separate from the main router might be an option?

Marketing plays a major role in the current antenna designs, to be honest. The fact that a large portion of those antennas are just empty plastic for example...

I read that ASUS is going to make a version of the OnHub in the coming months.

Nothing new there. Check the Asus RT-AC56U. Internal antenna technology has been there since quite some time.

Would be interesting to get pictures of the inside board still...

Google claims IT IS NEW. It uses 13 antennas in a circular array and has a speaker. TP-LINK was selected as the first manufacturer, Asus will go second. I would hope Asus is used just to make the hardware and that the firmware is controlled by Google. Looks like a paradigm shift coming up.

Starts Fast, Stays Fast

During setup, OnHub searches the airwaves and selects the best channel for the fastest connection. A unique antenna design and smart software keep working in the background, automatically adjusting OnHub to avoid interference and keep your network at peak performance. You can even prioritize a device, so that your most important activity — like streaming your favorite show — gets the fastest speed.

Just gets better
OnHub automatically updates with new features and the latest security upgrades, without interrupting your connection. In the future, OnHub can support smart devices that you bring into your home, whether they use Bluetooth® Smart Ready, Weave, or 802.15.4. We also plan to design new OnHub devices with other hardware partners in the future. Stay tuned for news from our second partner, ASUS, later this year.

P.S. From The Independent: Good luck getting one, though - it's already out of stock on many retailers' websites listed by Google, where it's available for preorder for $200 (around £130). Ships August 31st.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/meet-onhub-new-router-for-new-way-to-wi.html

Last edited:
Marketing plays a major role in the current antenna designs, to be honest. The fact that a large portion of those antennas are just empty plastic for example...
The antenna is actually less than half the size of what it appears to be?

The antenna is actually less than half the size of what it appears to be?

On the RT-AC68U, the actual antenna is only slightly longer than half the length of the plastic housing.
rtac68-antenna.jpg

I've always wondered how much of the signal is blocked by that plastic housing.

Feel free to experiment by taking all three shells out. At least on the AC68U, they are just clipped onto their pivot, and fairly easy to remove.