What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We do seem to be making some progress on AiMesh though, as it's now detectable as a node on my AC86U with 10007 firmware (no 20287 for the 86U yet it seems)
lR6kpTI.png

But, when clicking to add it to the mesh it goes through the process then gives me this:
cgIgTqt.png

I'm wondering if the AC86U will also need a firmware update to accept the 66U-B1 into a mesh, because from what I understand it once a node is added into the main router's mesh, the main router effectively manages the node router as well? If that's the case it would be worthwhile trying two 66U-B1's or a 68U as the master router (which does have the 20287 firmware available).

Same here. My RT-AC88U can't see RT-AC66U_B1, after several resets of B1, waste of time still can't add it as Aimesh node. Will be fixed in next firmware i read here on snb.
Normal procedure for adding AiMesh I guess is without resetting the node.

I have the same setup RT-AC88U as my main mesh router and the RT-AC66u B1. I just updated both routers with the firmware that was released yesterday and I was able to connect the B1 as a mesh node! Prior to the new release I tried everything was wasn't successful. I think the key is ensuring both routers are literally next to each other. I was able to move the router and everything seems fine.

upload_2018-1-27_13-25-35.png

I have the same setup RT-AC88U as my main mesh router and the RT-AC66u B1. I just updated both routers with the firmware that was released yesterday and I was able to connect the B1 as a mesh node! Prior to the new release I tried everything was wasn't successful. I think the key is ensuring both routers are literally next to each other. I was able to move the router and everything seems fine.

Thats good news, shame my 86U I've got hasnt had a firmware uplift yet otherwise I think I'd also be up and running

Last edited:
Still not working for me. I'm using a AC66U_B1 as router and want to use a AC68U as a node. (The AC68U does not fit in to the shelf where I need to have the router.) I'm using 3.0.0.4.384_20287 on both, however have not performed a factory reset on the AC66U_B1 since 10007 firmware.

Any ideas?
- Is it absolutely necessary to have factory reset the AC66U_B1 since last? (The other people living here are a bit tired of me messing with the internet all the time :))
- Does the AC68U need to be the router?

I have reset the AC68U several times holding the reset button for 5 sec. Placing it right next to the router does not help either. Very grateful for any input. Thanks!

Can you try it with the 68U as the router, I've not tried it the other way around but it wouldn't be a total surprise if the lesser model 66U is restricted to being a node only? Also try updating both to 20308 as my 86U / 66U-B1 combo still wouldnt connect with the 86U on 10007 and the 66U on 20287, although I put that down to the 10007 on the 86U being known not to AiMesh on 66U.

Not sure if it matters but the way I reset the 66U into AiMesh node mode was to actually select the "AiMesh Node" option from the Administration tab rather than press the reset button. They do need to be in line of sight of each other and should initially connect up using WiFi so I didn't have Ethernet connected to the node. I didn't do a factory reset after installing 20308

Last edited:
I will try the AC68U as router, the next time I am alone in the house. I see also there is a newer version of the firmware again. Guess I will try that too. I'll let you know when I have.

I did try setting operation mode of the AC68U as router but no luck there either.

Yep just edited my reply when I noticed you were only on 20287, it was only when I had both on 20308 that AiMesh worked, although the AC86 never got 20287 so can't comment on how that version on both would behave.

Can you try it with the 68U as the router, I've not tried it the other way around but it wouldn't be a total surprise if the lesser model 66U is restricted to being a node only? Also try updating both to 20308 as my 86U / 66U-B1 combo still wouldnt connect with the 86U on 10007 and the 66U on 20287, although I put that down to the 10007 on the 86U being known not to AiMesh on 66U.

Not sure if it matters but the way I reset the 66U into AiMesh node mode was to actually select the "AiMesh Node" option from the Administration tab rather than press the reset button. They do need to be in line of sight of each other and should initially connect up using WiFi so I didn't have Ethernet connected to the node. I didn't do a factory reset after installing 20308
Always best to do a factory reset after a major firmware upgrade. Manual reconfigure, too. I also do a complete power down for up to 5 minutes. Yes, I can live without the net for that long! Use the initalize button in the web gui to reset.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I first tried upgrading both units, no luck. Then I swapped positions, meaning AC68U is the router now, and the AC66U_B1 as a node. Now all is ok (except the AC68U is too tall to stand where I put it :))

Coverage is much better now in general.

The 384 AiMesh firmware is still on the Asus support site. Make sure your AC66U B1 has a front USB port! If not it is an older AC66U and is not supported with AiMesh. If you are sure your router is the B1 model, not hardware version, the new firmware will work. Factory reset with no USB devices and do an initialize to clean out jffs. Then upgrade to the 384 version. Oh, if it is correct on a 380 or 382 version it will prompt you to upgrade.

Other than the supported devices list, is there documentation that says the older AC66U is not supported? Are there no plans to support? I was one of the earliest to get an AC66U so I have the older model. I also have an RP-AC68U that I was hoping to mesh.

Other than the supported devices list, is there documentation that says the older AC66U is not supported? Are there no plans to support? I was one of the earliest to get an AC66U so I have the older model. I also have an RP-AC68U that I was hoping to mesh.
I remember a discussion some time ago that talked about the RT-AC66U single core processor router not getting updates with Aimesh. Also remember the same for the RP-AC68U. The RT-AC66U_B1 is still one of the least expensive Aimesh supported routers. While I have a single router it is more than enough for my small house and 10 Mbps s l o w CenturyLink DSL.

I remember a discussion some time ago that talked about the RT-AC66U single core processor router not getting updates with Aimesh. Also remember the same for the RP-AC68U. The RT-AC66U_B1 is still one of the least expensive Aimesh supported routers. While I have a single router it is more than enough for my small house and 10 Mbps s l o w CenturyLink DSL.

Thanks so much I'll take a look out for that single core info or maybe ask Asus themselves and if no mesh for me the router has served several years well. So I may go for the Asus Google tower router and mesh in 3 google pucks.

AC66U-B1 and A1 are two completely different routers:

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B1 - BCM4708C0 (@1.0GHz Dual Core) Has one front USB3 port, one USB2 back ports, Zentel flash (NAND).

ASUS RT-AC66U A1 - BCM4706 (@600MHz Single Core), two USB2 back ports

I connected an B1 as node to an AC68U as a router two months ago, and it worked fine. However, then came a new firmware and it stopped working. I also tried a AC86U as the router, and it did not help. I have tried all suggestion about factory resets etc.

I contact ASUS in my country, they claimed AC66U is not in the ASUS official list for supported mesh routers - so they could do nothing.

In my opinoin ASUS should not send out firmware beginning of January and several new releases after that with all configuration information seeming it to have mesh support.

I wonder how many hours frustrated ASUS customers have spent in vain to try to make it work :-(

In my opinoin ASUS should not send out firmware beginning of January and several new releases after that with all configuration information seeming it to have mesh support.

I agree. I suspect their problem stems from trying to retroactively engineer AiMesh into their unified firmware for various existing product. At some point, they must have decided the 66U B1 was not going to make the AiMesh cut.

OE

Ho hum... this silly debate just goes on and on. Folks do not see that the AC66U model has hardware revisions A1 and B1 and maybe more. And that there is a model AC66U B1 which has the same processor as the AC68U but runs at a slower clock speed and is thus an AC1750 or something like that.
The AC66U B1 model can run the same firmware as the AC68U. See Merlins firmware. And thus is Aimesh capable even though the "official" Asus web site for Aimesh does not list the AC66U B1 model.
My RT-AC66U B1 does have Aimesh in the current firmware and runs quite well in spite of not being "official." Sure is a lotmore capable than a Netgear Orbi, which I also have.

What (or who) is silly…? There are two issues:

Technical
AC66U-A1 and AC66U-B1 are two completely different routers technically. (And physical: B1 has antennas that cannot be removed, one USB in the front and one in the back, A1 has antennas that can be removed and two USB in the back.)

Inside B1 has a dual core 1 GHz processor, A1 a single core 0,6 GHz processor.
B1 is a AC1750 router (no need to guess bbunge – it is printed in the front of the router next to the Asus logo…)

The firmware is also completely different.

A1 latest version is: 3.0.0.4.380.8228-g3af35f9, size 30.608 kB

B1 latest version is: 3.0.0.4.380.8228-g21e3702, size 43.720 kB
This is the exact same official firmware as on the AC1900 AC68U router.

I have all 3 types. When you logon AC66U A1, it has no signs of mesh support. AC66U B1 and AC68U are identical (of course – it is the same firmware) with all mesh options.

Commercial
Two/three months ago AC66U-B1 worked for me with mesh. Unfortunately I downloaded the new firmware version some weeks ago. Not so strange, a yellow symbol if flashing saying there is a new firmware. And my mesh network stopped working. After lots of trying and failing, I gave up and bought another router.

AC66U A1 is still sold in shops. How many thousands of owners do you think have discovered the “imaginary” mesh support port and spent lots of useless hours to try it and failed? Next to none of them will read this or other forums and find out the reason.

--------------------

ASUS is considered to be a company with costly, but high quality products.

ASUS either has to make a new firmware for AC66U A1 without any sign of mesh support, or to make it work!

For what it's worth. I am running:
  1. RT-AC5300 as my AiMesh Router
  2. RT-AC66U_B1 as my AiMesh Node
Both are running the last FW 20648 and everything is just fine.

Dan

upload_2018-5-16_19-16-46.png

I am using the same firmware (FW.RT.AC68U_3004_384.20648-g21e3702) in AC68U and AC86U, and it works both ways (both may be router or node). But the same firmware in AC66U-B1 does not work towards to the two others in any combinations.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!