What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U Tweaking and Optimization

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

c0rp1

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
as a new owner of the AC66u I have searched a lot for some tips about optimizing it for best performance and ended up finding almost nothing.
So I`m starting this thread (sorry if it has been already posted, but really could not find it) in search of some advice.

Today I updated to the latest official firmware (3.0.0.4.372_1300). Just done the usual quick setup and haven`t made any changes to any options, except creating 2 different SSIDs for both 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz mode and securing them with the WPA2 passwords.
I`m using only wireless connection on 2 separate floors - PC with a usb wifi adaptor (connected to 2,4Ghz, because the wifi adapter is a low cost TP Link one and the PC is not used a lot), Dell notebook with Intel 5300 wireless card (connected to 5Ghz SSID - cant see any difference in range or performance between 5Ghz and 2,4Ghz), HTC One (capable of connecting to ac, but I`m getting a very low signal with the 5Ghz mode, and 2,4Ghz is working normally), Nexus 7 (cant see the 5Ghz SSID), and another old notebook (connected to 2,4Ghz... can`t see the 5Ghz either).

The range I`m getting is not perfect at all, but it`s capable of showing the full potential of my network almost on any dB (30Mbps download and 15Mbps upload). Router is placed next to the front door. Distance to Dell notebook is around 10 meters (placed in living room and getting around 55-60dB signal for both 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz). Using the HTC mainly from my bedroom (10 meters from router with signal around 70dB on 2,4Ghz and 80dB on 5Ghz). PC is getting around 75dB signal from 20 meters on 2nd floor.

I`m writing all those data, because I don`t really know how exactly should the router behave... are these normal stats and is there a way to boost the performance, stability of the connection and range. Forgot to mention ... I keep an eye on the Wireless Speed from the status of the network I`m connected with my Dell notebook. The 5Ghz shows 450Mbps right after a router restart and then fluctuates between 180-240Mbps (mainly standing on 240Mbps, but not more at any time).

Any advices or links to information about tweaking and optimizing will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!