What's new

Asus RT-AC68 offered 3.0.0.4.384_45708

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From your log fragment, it is checking about every 30 seconds. Is that the pattern? Or does the interval get longer after many retries? Regardless, seems excessive.
I use it as AP and I had block it in firewall, for me it will check for 3 times per day with retry after 30 second when fail.
Asus should allow us to disable the auto update checking.

I use it as AP and I had block it in firewall, for me it will check for 3 times per day with retry after 30 second when fail.
Asus should allow us to disable the auto update checking.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like this is just a "phone home" to poll the ASUS server for any available update. I wonder what other info gets sent "home"? Yes, they should allow this to be disabled, especially if it sends any identifiable info. They have no right to monitor your equipment without your consent.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like this is just a "phone home" to poll the ASUS server for any available update. I wonder what other info gets sent "home"? Yes, they should allow this to be disabled, especially if it sends any identifiable info. They have no right to monitor your equipment without your consent.
The firmware polling is there since a few years, it only becomes "visable" in the System Log now.
If you suspect the router or what ever device from "phone home" messages, you should sniff the WAN network connection.
It can't be worse than a regular Windows 10 system or a popular Android or iPhone device loaded with "freeware" apps, including WhatsApp.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like this is just a "phone home" to poll the ASUS server for any available update. I wonder what other info gets sent "home"?

None. The update check is done through a shell script, so anyone can review what it actually does:

1) Downloads a manifest file
2) Checks locally if version is up to date compared to content of manifest
3) If not, download a changelog file, ready to be displayed on the webui

None. The update check is done through a shell script, so anyone can review what it actually does:

1) Downloads a manifest file
2) Checks locally if version is up to date compared to content of manifest
3) If not, download a changelog file, ready to be displayed on the webui
well, there are many reason some of us want to be radio silence :)

The firmware polling is there since a few years, it only becomes "visable" in the System Log now.
If you suspect the router or what ever device from "phone home" messages, you should sniff the WAN network connection.
It can't be worse than a regular Windows 10 system or a popular Android or iPhone device loaded with "freeware" apps, including WhatsApp.
I had actively monitor my WAN and only allow limited access, these auto update check seems safe but it isn't in somecase, for example when I audit my foscam cam I found it will contact AWS if you config it by app(so you don't need any ip for the app to connect the cam), I can sniff the traffic and know where is the cam and hack it(had report to foscam). Lucky if you are not using the app even once then it will not contact AWS, but once it did you need to reset it to turn it off.
In asus case someone can redirect it to download a fake file(tested with proof of concept)

well, there are many reason some of us want to be radio silence :)

Then you will have to run your own homebrewed router. It's the only way to be 100% in control of your trafic.

My AiMesh setup appears to be way more stable with the latest firmware. I have an RT-AC68U B1 as my AiMesh router and RT-AC68U A1 as my node. I've tried using AiMesh before but clients kept disconnecting so frequently that it wasn't really usable. I've disabled roaming assistant, airtime fairness, and universal beamforming to no avail. With this firmware update I'm seeing far less disconnects, going from once every 30 minutes or so on my laptop to once or twice a day. That said, I do see tons of SQUASHFS errors and don't really know what kind of impact that has.

Similar issue here, but with RT-AC66U B1 (which is to my knowledge very similar to the AC68). I had to disable AiProtection AND the Traffic Analyzer for the logs to stop bursting. It just looks like they give out logs with different frequencies. AiProtection each two minutes, the Analyzer more often. I've also submitted a ticket.

Asus support answered me the issue will be fixed in a next firmware.
Release date unknown.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

Asus support answered me the issue will be fixed in a next firmware.
Release date unknown.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

What issue are you talking about, specifically?

No response for me.

How did you submit the ticket?
I submitted it from HERE.
I've RT-AC68U listed under "My Registered Products", I can choose it when I write the email for asking support.

Attachments

• Asus_Support.jpg
    Asus_Support.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 455
45713 is out, got OTA update notification.

Edit: Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_45713-g0f2983e

I could not find the Release Notes online...

yeah its offered on my rt-ac68u.

release notes says:

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_45713
- Release Note -

Bug Fix:
- Fixed browser no response problem when enabled Traffic analyzer.
- Fixed VLAN bug for Movistar.
- Fixed the problem which causes lots of SQUASHFS error in system log.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!