What's new

Asus RT-AC68U, block devices behind WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fabio_

New Around Here
Hello,

Not very experienced on network things so I'm seeking help.

I have following setup:
-Asus RT-AC68U (Merlin)
-Arris TG2492S (cable modem + 4 port router, control partly restricted by ISP provided).
-Two home automation devices (LAN only, no wifi so I cannot utilize Asus guest network capability) which I don't trust which I want to isolate from intra, but they need to connect to internet.
-Bunch of trusted devices (PCs, NAS, PS, etc.).

Topology now:
Asus (firewall on) [WAN port] <---> [Ethernet] Arris (firewall on) [Cable] <---> Internet

I have connected all trusted devices to Asus (better router of these two).
I have connected the two untrusted devices to Arris via LAN.

Question#1: how do I make sure that devices connected to Arris don't get access to devices connected to Asus (I don't need to access them directly via devices in Asus either)? I can configure Asus but I cannot configure Arris (that much).
Question#2: Better suggestions (e.g. how to setup VLAN for ethernet ports in Asus?) I would bit dislike this, but with good instruction doable.

Thank you in advance :)

You don't need to do anything. The firewall on the Asus will block all unsolicited incoming traffic by default.