What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware to DDRTW but fails to upload Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PSU_Dave

New Around Here
Hi Everyone.
I the title states I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router which I currently flashed the firmware to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/22/14) last evening. I did this because 1) my windows 7 Laptop, my Galaxy S8+ and my wife's Galaxy S8 all intermittently have the internet drop (not the wifi... but the internet connection to the wifi... but the weird thing is my Roku/Smart TV in the same rooms are fine, even while this is going on) and 2) We are moving to Europe in 2 months and I was told I need a VPN and DNS Forwarder programmed so we can continue to watch Netflix and Hulu.

So that said, I finally deceided to upgrade my Router's firmware. At first I tried updating the firmware from within the ASUS Web GUI but the only option was up to the AIRMI (or whatever its call) firmware... so after about 15 tries, I FINALLY got the Firmware Restoration Utility to take the DDWRT firmware... I had that sit for 2 days and I'm still having the wifi drops and so I want to push forward to Merlin's RT-AC68U_380.69_2.trx firmware to see if that helps.

I already tried uploading the Merlin Firmware via the DDWRT Firmware upload GUI but that didn't take... The interface and the Version remained as they were... I wanted to try using the Firmware Upload Utility that I used to get the DDWRT firmware on the router but now I can't get the router to go in recovery mode. I've tried turning it off/holding the Reset button in for 30 seconds/turning it back on while reset button is in (after unplugging all but the 1 CAT going to the my laptop), also tried doing the same with the WPS button. Router just turns on fine. I tried the 30-30-30 rule where you also unplug it and turn it back on but that only flashed the NVRAM.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to brick it but this DDWRT firmware seems a little underwhelming. I suppose I can do what I need with it but its also 4 years old... I'd like something a little newer.

Thank you!

If your current DD-WRT firmware is from April 2014 then I bet you it looks "a little underwhelming"...

Have you tried to update to the current version, you can find it here: you would need the file dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

And here you can find a guide on how to revert from DD-WRT to ASUS stock (or Merlin if you prefer).

Hi Everyone.
I the title states I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router which I currently flashed the firmware to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/22/14) last evening...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Well if you are using DD-WRT the place to be looking for help is through the DD-WRT web site at https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index . Everything is explained there. For a first stop check the wiki and then the forum. Once you are on DD-WRT you generally have to follow their procedure to get back to Asus stock before else anything will take.

This might help you. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC68U

Good luck. Edward

Last edited:
If your current DD-WRT firmware is from April 2014 then I bet you it looks "a little underwhelming"...

Have you tried to update to the current version, you can find it here: you would need the file dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

And here you can find a guide on how to revert from DD-WRT to ASUS stock (or Merlin if you prefer).

Thanks tarassippo. I just updated the DDWRT firmware to the new version. I'll give it a day or two and see if it gets more stable before attempting Merlin.

Well if you are using DD-WRT the place to be looking for help is through the DD-WRT web site at https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index . Everything is explained there. For a first stop check the wiki and then the forum. Once you are on DD-WRT you generally have to follow their procedure to get back to Asus stock before else anything will take.

This might help you. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC68U

Good luck. Edward

Thanks Edward! I'm normally not a hardware guy so sad to say I've been struggling here. Main reason I'm doing this is to get the VPN and DNS forwarder when I get deployed in 2 months.
I'm going to give the DDWRT update a chance but if that doesn't work, I'll do as you suggest and try going back to ASUS firmware via the instructions. Funny, When I downloaded the Merlin Firmware, it said you could just flash to that but my uploads kept failing, hence me trying the DDWRT Firmware.
Appreciate the help (from both of you!)

Wifi drops on stock firmware may be the airtime fairness setting.

Setting is in the Wireless > Professional section.

The default is off in Merlin but stock has it on.

Thanks Edward! I'm normally not a hardware guy so sad to say I've been struggling here. Main reason I'm doing this is to get the VPN and DNS forwarder when I get deployed in 2 months.
Appreciate the help (from both of you!)

I've used DD-WRT for the better part of a decade with Linksys models and found that as long as you have a router model for which their exist well written flashing instructions you can go back and forth at will. I have not tried dd-wrt with an Asus but the instructions look straight forward to get back. The Asus and Merlin OpenVPN servers both work pretty good and are simple to setup if you decide to switch.

Your idea sounds interesting if you have any notes on how it would work appreciate an update. u should be able to send a direct message through conversations https://www.snbforums.com/conversations/add

The way to get back to asus or rmerlin is to follow the steps John and I pointed out.
If then once you are back on newer asus/rmerlin and want to try dd-wrt again, you will have to use the cfe mini web server in order to flash it due to the checks asus implemented in newer firmware.