What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

can someone please explain a little bit about this " 2. Force changing FTP from anonymous to account mode after firmware upgraded."

does this mean they fixed the ftp security issue ?

The FTP "issue" was already fixed in 4422. It wasn't actually a "security issue", just that it would default to allow anonymous access. Anyone could have resolved it just by properly set it to sharing only with accounts, regardless of the firmware version they were using.

Asus simply took things a step further with 4561 by making the router automatically disable anonymous access after updating to this new FW. People with a legitimate reason to allow anon access will have to re-enable it after flashing.

Woke up to find it rebooted at least once overnight. Current uptime is only 1 hour.

Still no idea what's going on. Mine hasn't rebooted a single time after running it for about three days (now 10 hours running an interim build with 4561 code merged in). There must be a common cause that would explain why only specific users are affected - USB seems to be ruled out by now.

Any of you using PPPoE or DualWAN? Do you have HW acceleration enabled? If in doubt, try forcing HW acceleration to Disable, and see if it becomes more stable. A few weeks ago there was an issue that affected some specific ISPs (one of them in Singapore) where HW acceleration would cause the router to randomly drop connection or reboot.

Now it doesn't necessarily pertain to the RT-AC68U, but several routers ago, a D-Link DIR-655 to be specific, I had a situation when if I had Symantec's firewall enabled on one computer in my house I would constantly get reboots. It took a long while to figure that one out and never really figured out the relationship.....I just stopped using the firewall. The point being, there could many causes.

Also had a reboot after approx. 12 hrs uptime(version 4422).

USB stick connected at 2.0 port. Running samba and DLNA from it.

2.4ghz and 5ghz WPA2

Everything else on default.

Woke up to find it rebooted at least once overnight. Current uptime is only 1 hour.

I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback!

I just installed the RT-AC68U two weeks ago and really like the feature set, but two days ago the router rebooted twice overnight. I installed 4561 yesterday evening and haven't had any problems in the 18 hours since then.

Also, perhaps I am simply being clueless, but after the 4561 firmware upgrade a blinking yellow exclamation point appeared on the upper-right notifying me of the default FTP permission change, and I can't seem to make it disappear. Clicking on it repeatedly and/or following the link to the setup page won't clear the alert. Am I missing something?

Still no idea what's going on. Mine hasn't rebooted a single time after running it for about three days (now 10 hours running an interim build with 4561 code merged in). There must be a common cause that would explain why only specific users are affected - USB seems to be ruled out by now.

Any of you using PPPoE or DualWAN? Do you have HW acceleration enabled? If in doubt, try forcing HW acceleration to Disable, and see if it becomes more stable. A few weeks ago there was an issue that affected some specific ISPs (one of them in Singapore) where HW acceleration would cause the router to randomly drop connection or reboot.

Still got reboots. No PPoE and no DualWAN.

HW acceleration- where do I find that option?

CD

I never had any random reboots with this router, with the current firmware or any of the previous ones.

Just curious, wouldn't the logs show what triggers the reboots?
(unless it's a HW issue...)

WAN Connection Type = Automatic IP, not PPPoE.
Dual WAN = Off

As I replied above, I think "HW Acceleration" is renamed to "NAT Acceleration" now -- mine is Enabled.

I turned off DOS Protection in Firewall and I've been stable for 6 hours.. will try Acceleration next if I see another reboot.

Memory:
Mem: 45268K used, 210452K free, 0K shrd, 596K buff, 9988K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 4.5% sys 0.0% nic 95.4% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq

Last edited:
Yes, NAT acceleration is the same thing, it just got renamed.

Note that NAT can be automatically disabled if you enable an incompatible option, so you can't rely on the LAN -> Switch page to determine if it's enabled or not. The option on that page is only to FORCE it to a disabled state.

WAN Connection Type = Automatic IP, not PPPoE.
Dual WAN = Off

As I replied above, I think "HW Acceleration" is renamed to "NAT Acceleration" now -- mine is Enabled.

I turned off DOS Protection in Firewall and I've been stable for 6 hours.. will try Acceleration next if I see another reboot.

Memory:
Mem: 45268K used, 210452K free, 0K shrd, 596K buff, 9988K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 4.5% sys 0.0% nic 95.4% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq

DOS protection didn't impact anything, I login to find last reboot is 55 min -- Re-ENABLING that and trying NAT Acceleration = DISABLED now.

It finally crashed on me about 5 mins after I had switched my laptop from the 5 GHz to the 2.4 GHz band (this Intel 7260 will sometime suddenly lose any 5 GHz functionality until you disable and re-enable it). So, it's definitely not caused by HW acceleration (which is disabled here).

Chances are it's with the wireless driver, unless it was just a coincidence.

It finally crashed on me about 5 mins after I had switched my laptop from the 5 GHz to the 2.4 GHz band (this Intel 7260 will sometime suddenly lose any 5 GHz functionality until you disable and re-enable it). So, it's definitely not caused by HW acceleration (which is disabled here).

Chances are it's with the wireless driver, unless it was just a coincidence.

Observation: I have a Intel Ult N 6300 wireless nic connected to my 5GHz .. I manually pointed it to the 5 after I had problems with 4422 reboots. I will look into this after the Acceleration tests. Could be something with Intel drivers perhaps?

Observation: I have a Intel Ult N 6300 wireless nic connected to my 5GHz .. I manually pointed it to the 5 after I had problems with 4422 reboots. I will look into this after the Acceleration tests. Could be something with Intel drivers perhaps?

No Intel NICs active at the time of the reboots here.

CD

I had alot of reboots, and it made my family crazy becouse i was not home and could not try to fix this poblem. Well they where pissed as we bought this router and its expensive and it did not work well :p. And they are using IP tv to watch tv.. and you know, it stopped up every 3-10 minutes.

I have now upgraded the firmware to this newest. No reebots yet, nothing conected to the router. I have all the lan port used up by computer , and both 2.4 and 5 ghz running with around 10 clients

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!