What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well some good news: the USB-related crash went away after I reverted the NTFS driver to the previous version used in 374_583.

Since that module gets loaded even when you don't have an USB disk plugged in, there's a chance it might also explain the random crashes experienced by people even without a USB disk plugged in.

I'll try to upload a new test build with this fix in place before heading to bed.

BTW, that issue also affects the RT-AC56U (which is what I just debugged this on).

I uploaded alpha 8:

This build is back to all the binary blobs and wireless files of 374_4561, however the NTFS driver (ufsd.ko) has been reverted to the version from 374.583. This resolved the USB disk related crashes for me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u29gsa0lei5banb/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.40_alpha8.zip

Please give this a try, even if you did not have a USB disk plugged in. There's a chance that it might still be responsible for some of the other reported random crashes, since that module was still being loaded by the firmware even while there was no disk using it. I'd like confirmation if that was the case or not. If it is, then I'll notify Asus about the results.

Well some good news: the USB-related crash went away after I reverted the NTFS driver to the previous version used in 374_583.

Since that module gets loaded even when you don't have an USB disk plugged in, there's a chance it might also explain the random crashes experienced by people even without a USB disk plugged in.

I'll try to upload a new test build with this fix in place before heading to bed.

BTW, that issue also affects the RT-AC56U (which is what I just debugged this on).

With my AC56U, I normally don't use a usb drive in the router....but i plugged one up and it worked fine with no issues. Yes it was NTFS. I even enabled SAMBA and copied some files to an from it just fine.

It has been 1 day 16 hours now since i upgrade stock firmware to _4561. And it has been 2 hrs since I tried the usb disk.....and no issues to report.

I uploaded alpha 8:

This build is back to all the binary blobs and wireless files of 374_4561, however the NTFS driver (ufsd.ko) has been reverted to the version from 374.583. This resolved the USB disk related crashes for me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u29gsa0lei5banb/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.40_alpha8.zip

Please give this a try, even if you did not have a USB disk plugged in. There's a chance that it might still be responsible for some of the other reported random crashes, since that module was still being loaded by the firmware even while there was no disk using it. I'd like confirmation if that was the case or not. If it is, then I'll notify Asus about the results.

I plug HDD once but the router do not regconize it. What do I need for HDD plugin? Format HDD with NTFS or anything???

Gửi từ SM-N900 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

12.5hrs on Alpha4 and no reboots - just installed Alpha8. Will advise on how it goes.

ac68r

Mine is a AC68R, will I still be able to use the alpha8 build just posted?

Mine AC68U(4422) reboots as soon as my phone is out of range(i.e. when leaving home)

I had identical SSID´s but changed them unique since I thought that might be the issue.
Even with unique SSID´s this happens. Phone is connected on 5 GHZ network channel 100.

Alpha 7 5GHZ works better with iPhone 5s

Hi RMerlin! The RT-AC68U Alpha 7 build has been working better with my iPhone 5S. I use the 5GHz band and throughput and connection has always been inconsistent. Uploaded Alpha 7 and throughput has been consistent higher and connections more reliable. What did you do to 5 GHZ in Alpha 7??

So if Guest Network is not the common factor, how about everyone having 5ghz enabled?

This was in the 4432 Release Notes -- so maybe something broke here and impacting everyone and not just EU users?:
5. Supported EU 5Ghz DFS channel.

I disabled my 5ghz as a test, I had reboot overnight.. so eliminated that one.

My guest leaves my house tonight, iPhone user, so I will be able to test the Guest theory soon.

I still wonder if Whitey has a theory:

whitey019 said:
One thing to note that I just thought of is, I never flashed to 4422. I went straight from 583 to 4561, because so many of you had immediate problems with 4422. I don't know if somehow this could be an issue and that something residual could be leftover from 4422, some new flag, setting, variable, etc. I'm doubtful myself as it sounds like everyone can flash back to working FW without issue, but I though I'd mention it anyhow.

Hi RMerlin! The RT-AC68U Alpha 7 build has been working better with my iPhone 5S. I use the 5GHz band and throughput and connection has always been inconsistent. Uploaded Alpha 7 and throughput has been consistent higher and connections more reliable. What did you do to 5 GHZ in Alpha 7??

Nothing. Alpha7 merely had the EMF, IGS, WPS and EAPD binaries reverted to their 374_583 version. There was no change at all in the wireless driver over alpha6.

With my AC56U, I normally don't use a usb drive in the router....but i plugged one up and it worked fine with no issues. Yes it was NTFS. I even enabled SAMBA and copied some files to an from it just fine.

It has been 1 day 16 hours now since i upgrade stock firmware to _4561. And it has been 2 hrs since I tried the usb disk.....and no issues to report.

Maybe Asus didn't use the same NTFS driver in their AC56U 4561 release as what was used in the AC68U, or provided in the GPL code.

At me 374.40_alpha8 ipv6 is not working...
-WAN Connection Type:pPPoE
IPV6
-Connection type: NATIVE
-Interface: PPP
-DHCP-PD: ENABLE
Back to 583 and IPV6 works perfectly.

Last edited:
Got alot of reebots still :( on this firmware

0 dager 2 timer 2 minutter 18 sekunder

and i turned it on 20 hours before..

Did the Alpha 8 since 8 hours running and had 2 reboot.

I disabled my 5ghz as a test, I had reboot overnight.. so eliminated that one.

My guest leaves my house tonight, iPhone user, so I will be able to test the Guest theory soon.

I still wonder if Whitey has a theory:

I jumped straight from 583 to 4561 and suffer the reboots so I don't think Whitey suggestion is correct.

Anyway I have updated to alpha8 now so lets see when the next reboot is. Judging by comments so far it is still occurring. Yes I know I could jump back a few releases to a stable release but that defeats the object of trying to identify what might be causing it.

Martin

So looks like the USB-related crashes and the random crashes are two separate issues.

I'm running out of ideas now as to what else I could downgrade. This will probably have to be addressed by Asus.

So looks like the USB-related crashes and the random crashes are two separate issues.

I'm running out of ideas now as to what else I could downgrade. This will probably have to be addressed by Asus.

Something strange. I don't see how Wired file copy can reboot the router. Plus, I had network scanner access issues which were resolved only after turning the firewall off completely.

Being running for 11 hours without a reboot on Alpha 8, lets see how it goes during the day.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!