What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For the record, so far I'm having good success with Merlin's latest 374.40_beta3 firmware. No reboots (3 days) and the connection dropout issue I was having with my USB-AC56 adapter has been fixed.

The issue only appeared with 374_4420.

Personally I would recommend upgrading to 374_583. Asus has also improved the wireless driver over the past couple of releases, which would be of interest to you even in AP mode.

None of the recent security fixes would apply to AP mode.

Thank you kindly for the feedback! Will test out 583 and keep it at that until something very pressing is released down the road.

Can't wait for newer fixed firmware. This 4561 is rebooting itself after 2-3 days.

HI guys

i have the RTAC 68U and always used your FW , but i made a factory reset and i`m using to test the latest one released by Asus and something weird is happening

Sometimes the router appears to stop responding and my connection just drops, i`m using the dual wan here with load balance, and sometimes when i ask the router to reboot when it comes online again just do not work, the wifi leds not goes on and i have to turn off the router power and turn on again to comes online

Have you ever heard this kind of tings made by a FW or this could be a Hardware issue?

Using the latest fw by asus, the one people are with issues :(

Thanks ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Can't wait for newer fixed firmware. This 4561 is rebooting itself after 2-3 days.

Finally it seems more people have experienced this behaviour with Asus routers. I started having it much earlier with the RT-N66U, but there the whole thing was crashing and going into a reboot loop. It started happening only with the more recent firmwares. I sold it because I cannot stay on an older firmware full of vulnerabilities to regain stability.

I completely agree that the issue triggers whenever you have wireless clients in areas of high noise/interference. Far away from router, or with neighbours using the same/close channels and causing dB to be very poor.
Incidentally if at the same time you have large downloads/traffic (torrents) happening on wired network, it seems to happen even quicker.

I bet most testing nowadays is done in line of sight, with router on its own channel and excellent clients. I suggest trying worst case scenarios and use only those to test.

Same Here

Been following this thread and having the same problem. As a matter of fact it has rebooted twice while reading this thread. I have a mix of devices and have not been able to pin it down to the presence of any one type but it most definitely happens more often when everyone, (6 people) is home using it both wired and wireless and will be fine for days when it has little traffic. I am afraid to start building my music library on my new NAS since that will add to the load over the network.

Finally it seems more people have experienced this behaviour with Asus routers. I started having it much earlier with the RT-N66U, but there the whole thing was crashing and going into a reboot loop. It started happening only with the more recent firmwares. I sold it because I cannot stay on an older firmware full of vulnerabilities to regain stability.

I completely agree that the issue triggers whenever you have wireless clients in areas of high noise/interference. Far away from router, or with neighbours using the same/close channels and causing dB to be very poor.
Incidentally if at the same time you have large downloads/traffic (torrents) happening on wired network, it seems to happen even quicker.

I bet most testing nowadays is done in line of sight, with router on its own channel and excellent clients. I suggest trying worst case scenarios and use only those to test.

I still find this "bug" quite interesting across the models. Mostly AC68U people, but people with other models and current firmware too report same issues. But it is so wildly hard to pin down root cause.

I have only had one instance of this reboot issue on my AC56U, and that was ONLY when a friends iphone was connected. I can not get it to reboot any other way. I have over 40 2.4ghz networks around me...(I use only 5ghz though) and even with devices on the 2.4 band ...nothing. I torrent and move large files among several computers, wired and wireless and stream hd video all day long.....no reboots at all...the last 2 firmwares have been the best ever as far as performance goes for me.

Hi guys!
I'm a new member of this forum! :) I joined the discussion because of continuing reboot of my AC68U with the latest firmware. And I'm not alone seems.
Now I came back to 583 firmware and everything works well.

Do you have some best settings for wireless param?
I'm using a Surface Pro and my family using other Laptops (I noted that with 20/40 mhz setting on 2.4ghz an Asus laptop won't works, only on 20mhz works fine).
My Surface Pro works with a Synology NAS at 12/15 MBs, I don't know if is the best rate possible...

Thx!

So far so good for me after disabling DLNA, 4 days 9 hours 48 minutes 58 seconds and counting...

And I don't have any error message on System Log what I had previously. Latest message on log Mar 10, over 3 days go.

Have upnp and DLNA server disabled and still it reboots about 1-2 times a day.

It would be awesome to have the person from ASUS provide us with BETA's again.

Last edited:
Since when has someone from ASUS provided us with betas of any kind here?

Both CL-Jeremy and Asusnet (two Asus employes) did in the past. Now they have both moved to other positions inside Asus, and they haven't assigned any official representative to replace them.

Anyway the issue isn't resolved yet (but they did make progress on it), so there's no beta to share that would help at this time.

Both CL-Jeremy and Asusnet (two Asus employes) did in the past. Now they have both moved to other positions inside Asus, and they haven't assigned any official representative to replace them.

Anyway the issue isn't resolved yet (but they did make progress on it), so there's no beta to share that would help at this time.
Ah. Must be from before I joined.

The 68U is a great router it just needs the firmware fixed and it will be. And yes it can handle the speed i have the comcast 105/20 internet and i get this wireless.

Thank you for your previous response, I have another question how did you make ipv6 work on ac68u fw: 3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4. I tried these settings but no ipv6

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 529
Ah. Must be from before I joined.

Correct. Jeremy left about a year ago I think, while Asusnet was moved to a new position in January 2014.

Thank you for your previous response, I have another question how did you make ipv6 work on ac68u fw: 3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4. I tried these settings but no ipv6

Not sure what u mean by "No IPV6" ....do u mean internet ipv6 connectivity, or local network ipv6 support.

IPv6 setup varies depending on you ISP and what modem u have connected it to or whether u have modem in bridge mode or not.

From screenshot, you have it set to Native...and it lists no received IPv6 address....I would guess the modem it is connected to does not support or does not have v6 enabled. You may need to use a different connection type.

If your modem is in bridge mode(it just acts as a passthrough) you have to setup ipv6 (and the other isp login info) based on their instructions. If i want IPv6 connectivity, I have to use the 6rd option, and enter in specific addresses that were listed on my ISP's website.

Either way, the routers DHCP Ipv6 server is active and even if you don't configure the WAN side properly for internet ipv6 access, your computers should still get an ipv6 address and local network access via v6....

Last edited:

Of course the most helpful get moved up and on.

I have owned asus products for some almost 14 years. I have both a Rampage Extreme II and a Rampage IV Extreme. Ever since they started with the bios flash back they have become very sloppy with firmwares. Even with R4 board they put out 2 bad firmwares in a row till they finally fixed the issue. Issue was random lockups. They really need to pass on betas to groups like this to test before they pass it out as a final version. It would save ASUS many headaches.

The ease of which you can update a bios these days allows many novices to load a broken firmware and become easily dissatisfied with their products.

Is there a way to read the .cfg file into something useable? Make it so much easier to set your router back up after a factory reset.

Something simple like forgetting to set your channel from the default can cause you headaches. Easy enough to do with the 4000 settings in these routers. :)

Is there a way to read the .cfg file into something useable? Make it so much easier to set your router back up after a factory reset.

Something simple like forgetting to set your channel from the default can cause you headaches. Easy enough to do with the 4000 settings in these routers. :)

I was kinda curious about reading the .cfg file too, but i think its in machine code or encrypted or something....but..their kinda is not much point in it....u can just import the file to restore ur settings.....

If it is a different model u are setting up...I just take screenshots of the routers settings and use that..

I was kinda curious about reading the .cfg file too, but i think its in machine code or encrypted or something....but..their kinda is not much point in it....u can just import the file to restore ur settings.....

If it is a different model u are setting up...I just take screenshots of the routers settings and use that..

It may be encrypted BUT ASUS could make something that can read the file since their routers can read the file. Just like an easier way to make sure I set everything back up correct. I do the same with screenshots but i'm starting to collect multi pages of shots. With something that could read them you could compare old .cfg to new..cfg and know you have everything set right.

As for restore settings from .cfg as per ASUS/Merlin you run into a chance of bringing a problem along. Its best to factory reset and setup from scratch after a firmware update which is a raging pain in the a$$.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!