What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5047

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For security reasons, miniupnp will not accept to forward service ports (that means ports between 1 and 1023). You have to modify some nvram settings to allow these to be forwared, or switch to my firmware which has web settings to do the same.

For Asus's stock firmware - run these through Telnet:

Code:
nvram set upnp_min_port_int=1
nvram commit
reboot

This will allow WHS to forward the web interface ports through UPNP.

It's an Android Razr-M Kenrok1. Drabisan, you are correct that such selection is a client issue but this is a change in behavior that only started after the latest update. Since my original post I have been able to determine that the phone does connect but then while it is in standby it drops the signal and when I go to my SSID page both 2.4G signals are not even listed until I turn off the phone wifi and restart it. I have also had the same problem with my wireless printer failing to be available when someone tries to print to it unless I power cycle it, (I believe others have commented on a WOL issue). I was wondering if the beam forming changes could be to blame. If that technology looses a lock on your location would this be the effect?

The beam forming has issues its just not totally there yet. I had slowdowns and up and down speed turning that off cleared up the problems.

The beam forming has issues its just not totally there yet. I had slowdowns and up and down speed turning that off cleared up the problems.

With beam-forming, signal going up and down is normal as it adjusts.

The client wifi NIC has to support beam forming. My Intel AC7260 works fine with both implicit and explicit beam forming. I have noticed signal with drop to 1 bar, then will go back to full. Had no issues with speed.

Many things don't work with UPnP and have to be forwarded manually. I have to manually forward ports for everything I do, my win server box, cctv software, dvr, teamspeak and game servers.

I think torrent software like Utorrent uses it....so for that, where a port forward need only be temporary, then UPnP is good.

Never had any issues with what you have described. At work, we have to implement port forwarding mainly for security reasons, but we don't use retail products.

At the end of the day it comes down to case by case scenario, which is unfortunate do to higher price tag and additional options today's routers come with for residential use.

I installed a n66 router at my friends, he has ps3, ps4, Xbox one, wii, apple products of various generations and sizes, PC with current steam games including team speak for bf4 and Titan, Netflix is being used on everything except the vacuum cleaner, a collection of watches that connect to his WiFi, 4 laptops, not including other devices that connect to his WiFi by our friends. Yet upnp takes care of everything.

Even at my house with other brand routers I never had to port forward anything, yet at the same time many players of Counter Strike, Team Speak, BFBC2 and or BF2, BF3 had to set up port forwarding to accomplish what upnp has done for me on my end with zero issues. EA forums are filled with port forwarding suggestions for every online game they have produced.

Last edited:
With beam-forming, signal going up and down is normal as it adjusts.

The client wifi NIC has to support beam forming. My Intel AC7260 works fine with both implicit and explicit beam forming. I have noticed signal with drop to 1 bar, then will go back to full. Had no issues with speed.

I have seen signal bounce up and down as well as the speed fluctuate on the 2.4ghz. It never seems to settle down.

Ive been trying for the past hour to re-download this firmware and im getting 20Kbps.

Yet the latest firmware gets downloaded at 2MB/s.

Update;

Asus I hate you so much!! If I chose 68R instead of 68U on their website, then the firmware gets downloaded at 1.2MB/s..

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments on my 2.4Ghz issues. I see there is a new firmware out, (5656) so I will update and see what happens. Just to close out my comments on my situation I agree with the posts about the signal levels jumping around. That's exactly what I see when I monitor the signal with my snooper app. The closer I get to the router the more likely I will not drop connections. I switched the phone, tablet, and laptop to 5Ghz and have no problems with connections and the signal is very stable. Will see what happens after the update.

It looks like everyone is doing well with the new firmware and ipad/iphone. I will have to try this again and get back to see what is going on. With the older firmware I am having Xbox Live latency issues randomly. I know most of it is caused from running a G wireless adapter.

Random reboots are back for me with this new fw :(

Fw .4487 solved my previous pb, it worked for an entire month without any reboot.
Yesterday I upgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.5656 and got 2 reboots in 12 hours.

Do I need to reset the router when upgrading from Asus official .4487 to Asus official .5656 ? :confused:

edit : fw version error

Last edited:
My bad, sorry, I tried the .5656 via the automatic update (and not the .5047).
I encountered a reboot every 6 hours with the .5656.

My bad, sorry, I tried the .5656 via the automatic update (and not the .5047).
I encountered a reboot every 6 hours with the .5656.

Strange must be something possific to your settings i have been going back and forth between 5656 and Merlin 41 and have had no reboots with either one.

found this...

http://dnlongen.blogspot.com/2014/04/CVE-2014-2719-Asus-RT-Password-Disclosure.html

which implies .5517 is coming but hasn't been released yet

Here's an update on your question, after speaking with the engineers:

3.0.0.4.374.5517 was released for RT-AC66U/ AC66R, RT-N66U/ N66R/ N66W, RT-N16, RT-N12HP, RT-N12 D1, RT-N10U/ N10U B1 a couple of weeks ago. .5517 had some stability issues on RT-AC68U / AC68R and RT-AC56U / AC56R, so for them .5656 was released this week.

Here's an update on your question, after speaking with the engineers:

3.0.0.4.374.5517 was released for RT-AC66U/ AC66R, RT-N66U/ N66R/ N66W, RT-N16, RT-N12HP, RT-N12 D1, RT-N10U/ N10U B1 a couple of weeks ago. .5517 had some stability issues on RT-AC68U / AC68R and RT-AC56U / AC56R, so for them .5656 was released this week.

Thanks for that info... interestingly / oddly enough the .5517 was the auto upgrade through the UI for my RT-AC68U (and others) which I applied and it seemed to be fine but I the uptime didn't appear accurate so I went ahead and downloaded .5656

uptime is ~5 days now, no issues to report.

I do like the Merlin firmware too but I can't stop looking at the CPU temp :p

Thanks for the tip.

I gave it another try and my AC68 automaticaly upgraded to .5517 too (I thought it was up-to-date -.5656- and didn't check last time before downgrade to the latest beta) :(

Manually upgraded to .5656, no problem so far (16 hours now). :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!