What's new

Asus RT-AC68U Hardware Versions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCW3

Occasional Visitor
I have two of these routers, both hardware version 4 manufactured in 2021. One has failed, and I can't seem to find any more v4. I just ordered one from a reputable supplier on Amazon that was supposed to be v4 but turned out to be v3 manufactured in 2023. This makes me wonder if Asus stopped manufacturing v4 for some reason (e.g., inability to get the right chips). Since the router is officially no longer available, is this all I can get?

So my questions are:
1) Does anyone still know a source for new v4 models? (The Asus store currently offers only "RT-AC68U" or "RT-AC68Uv3" from different warehouses.)
2) Do I really care anyhow? (I know v4 was supposed to offer higher performance, but how much higher?)
3) Will saved settings work on either version?

Regards to all! -- JCW3

Even with the same model, it is not recommended to use a saved backup config file between two different units.

Not worth buying RT-AC68U today.

Use this as the opportunity to get an AX class router instead. The RT-AX68U may possibly replace both of your routers today. The GT-AX6000 almost certainly will.

Buy a new router with the expectation of future support (i.e. specifically the 3.0.0.6.xxx level of firmware, available now or in the near future for most (new) supported models).

Even with the same model, it is not recommended to use a saved backup config file between two different units.

Not worth buying RT-AC68U today.

Use this as the opportunity to get an AX class router instead. The RT-AX68U may possibly replace both of your routers today. The GT-AX6000 almost certainly will.

Buy a new router with the expectation of future support (i.e. specifically the 3.0.0.6.xxx level of firmware, available now or in the near future for most (new) supported models).
I appreciate the validity of your recommendation, but it doesn't really address my issue. -- JCW3

I have two of these routers, both hardware version 4 manufactured in 2021. One has failed, and I can't seem to find any more v4. I just ordered one from a reputable supplier on Amazon that was supposed to be v4 but turned out to be v3 manufactured in 2023. This makes me wonder if Asus stopped manufacturing v4 for some reason (e.g., inability to get the right chips). Since the router is officially no longer available, is this all I can get?

So my questions are:
1) Does anyone still know a source for new v4 models? (The Asus store currently offers only "RT-AC68U" or "RT-AC68Uv3" from different warehouses.)
2) Do I really care anyhow? (I know v4 was supposed to offer higher performance, but how much higher?)
3) Will saved settings work on either version?

Regards to all! -- JCW3
Looks like v3 and v4 have the same CPU and chipset

@JCW3, it addresses it at a deeper level/different perspective than you may want or realized, but it does address it. ;)

The V4 is EOL.

It appears to have a different CPU and is more like a dual core version of the RT-AC86U.

Newer is not always better.

And higher revision level doesn't mean anything actually changed - may have just started sourcing the memory chip from another manufacturer etc.

The V4 is EOL.

It appears to have a different CPU and is more like a dual core version of the RT-AC86U.

Wikidevi has different specs (showing v3 and v4 as the same), but who knows, sometimes they're right on, sometimes they're way off. If the v4 is in fact HND that makes it significantly different. Depending on your usage scenario the differences could be bad or good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!