What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Mystery MAC address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mjweber54

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U. Randomly looking thru my Client List, and I can't identify this client: 9E:0E:1B:16:4E:A5. Can anyone help?
1699218411410.png

It's been connected for 290 hours so I'd say it's likely some sort of IoT device or a wireless repeater.

Can I just disconnect this?
You can't "disconnect" it but you could block it's internet access.

I have a network extender, but that's not the correct MAC ID
Many extenders spoof their MAC addresses. If you compare the spoofed address to the one printed on the device you'll often see that they're very similar with only a couple of digits changed. What extender do you have?

Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Model SLS-BU10B. Got from Verizon in 2018. We live in a rural area and nearest Verizon tower is approx 3 miles away. Keeps our cell phones connected at home.

It's MAC is
Code:
20:DB:AB:20:B3:F8
and I see it in the Client List as a wired connected device
Just can't figure out what else has been connected for 290 hours (approx 11 days).

Last edited:
OK so not the extender then. It is now common practice for Wi-Fi laptops and phones to use "private" MAC addresses, which are essentially randomly generated. How many things do you have (including smart TVs, etc.) that support 5GHz. Probably easiest to go around powering them off one at a time until you find the culprit. It's signal strength is strong so it must be nearby.

Sound like mobile device with randomized MAC. Near the router indeed.

OK so not the extender then. It is now common practice for Wi-Fi laptops and phones to use "private" MAC addresses, which are essentially randomly generated. How many things do you have (including smart TVs, etc.) that support 5GHz. Probably easiest to go around powering them off one at a time until you find the culprit. It's signal strength is strong so it must be nearby.
OK, Will try that. Probably tomorrow afternoon. Too much going on right now. Thanks for all the help!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!