What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5047

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gentlemen,

I'm having an issue of which I'm not sure if it's caused by the firmware. I've updated to this after being on the 3.0.0.4_374_4887 beta since it came out.

The problem I'm having solely lies in the slow wifi speed I'm experiencing. On the previous firmware I was able to get full speed on both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. Meaning I had near 65MBps on the 2.4GHZ frequency and 120MBps on 5GHZ( which is also the advertised speed from my ISP.

After upgrading to this firmware my speeds have dropped to 40-44MBps on both frequencies.

I haven't touched any of the settings and they are exactly set to the values as how they were previously.

I've tried a reboot via the control and replugging the power cable.
I've tried a factory reset via the control panel.
I've tried reflashing to the previous beta firmware where everything worked.

None of the above has helped and I'm not sure what else to do and I'm hoping you guys will be able to guide me into the right direction into fixing this. The ac68u is about 1.5 weeks old.

If you guys suspect that it's not firmware related I'll create another topic for my issue.

Regards,

The problem I'm having solely lies in the slow wifi speed I'm experiencing. On the previous firmware I was able to get full speed on both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. Meaning I had near 65MBps on the 2.4GHZ frequency and 120MBps on 5GHZ( which is also the advertised speed from my ISP.

After upgrading to this firmware my speeds have dropped to 40-44MBps on both frequencies.

I just purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U and hooked it up last night. I'm using whatever firmware it came with from the factory, which I can verify tonight if anyone cares. I noticed that my 2.4GHz connections are EXTREMELY slow compared to my old ASUS RT-N16.

On my old router, when I did online bandwidth speed tests, I was getting 10-15mbps down and around 1mbps up. With the new router, I'm getting 1.0-1.5mbps down and around 0.9mbps up.

I assumed that with a new router, my transfer speed would be the same or faster, not a factor of 10 slower. Something is clearly wrong.

Again, I can verify my firmware version tonight when I get home from work.

EDIT: My router has firmware version 3.0.0.4.374_4561

Last edited:

Here I´ve got one AC68U in media bridge mode and noticed slight better speed on 374.40 alpha 4 merlin using 2,4 or 5ghz bands. Also as I reported before after some hours I faced problems on 2,4ghz band while doing some speed tests on my Iphone. The speed simply was failing and freezing between 10-20mbps. After that, I decided switching back to Merlin's build and seems everything is ok now.

Let´s wait for some new Merlin FW.

I decided switching back to Merlin's build and seems everything is ok now.

Yep. I just switched to RMerlin 374.40 alpha 4 and the 2.4GHz performance problem is gone.

BTW, Asus are aware of the WOL issue, and it should be resolved in the next release.

Merlin

Do you know if Asus nows about the Internet freeze problem that makes you need to turn off and turn on the router again to gain acess to the internet? If yes this issue is just with me or with everyone?

Using here the RTAC-68U and the 5047 FW release from Asus website

Thanks

Merlin

Do you know if Asus nows about the Internet freeze problem that makes you need to turn off and turn on the router again to gain acess to the internet? If yes this issue is just with me or with everyone?

Using here the RTAC-68U and the 5047 FW release from Asus website

Thanks

No idea. And with such a generic description, it's not guaranteed to be a firmware issue either. My own RT-AC68U is rock-stable here.

No idea. And with such a generic description, it's not guaranteed to be a firmware issue either. My own RT-AC68U is rock-stable here.

I know the description is really generic, but it just what happens, stays something about 3 days without a issue and like today, got home from work the router was on the config page said that the connections was online (loadbalance here) but i had no connection at all, a turn off / on made it work again, is there any way to be sure if it`s a HW or a SW issue?

Thanks for the quick answer man

I know the description is really generic, but it just what happens, stays something about 3 days without a issue and like today, got home from work the router was on the config page said that the connections was online (loadbalance here) but i had no connection at all, a turn off / on made it work again, is there any way to be sure if it`s a HW or a SW issue?

I have never had that issue with my 68U in fact running Merlin 40-alpha4 I have never had any issue at all. Mind you I just use my router for routing and nothing else. Rock solid..

I have never had that issue with my 68U in fact running Merlin 40-alpha4 I have never had any issue at all. Mind you I just use my router for routing and nothing else. Rock solid..

Think i`ll try the Alpha 4 so, using the default Asus fw now

Thanks man

My wireless speeds slowed to a crawl in the first day when I installed this firmware but then I rebooted and it's been fine ever since.

Try the usual: make sure there's no other AP overlapping your channel or a neighbour channel, disable beamforming, and update your client's driver.

Try the usual: make sure there's no other AP overlapping your channel or a neighbour channel, disable beamforming, and update your client's driver.

Thanks again man

Just a question, the beamforming is the one in the advanced wireless settings right? What's the beamforming do? I do not know much about it, it is enabled by default right? Is there any gain or it's better to always turn off?

I only srmatphones and tablets as wireless clients, the other clients is wired ones, will update my network card drivers if i see some update and i'll check the channels

Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Traffic Manager - QoS does not remember User defined Rules selection

Hi,

I noticed that "Traffic Manager - QoS" does not remember or honor the User defined QOS Rules selection. It will always go back to "Automatic mode". Go to any other tab then go back to the QOS Tab ... it will automatically go back to "Automatic Mode"

I only want internet browsing Http or Https to have the highest priority. I do not do gaming, etc.

How do I made User defined QOS Rules selection permanent. Thank you for any advice.

Thanks again man

Just a question, the beamforming is the one in the advanced wireless settings right? What's the beamforming do? I do not know much about it, it is enabled by default right? Is there any gain or it's better to always turn off?

I only srmatphones and tablets as wireless clients, the other clients is wired ones, will update my network card drivers if i see some update and i'll check the channels

There should be two options related to beamforming on the Professional tab. Disable both of them, and see if it helps.

More info on Beamforming in Tim's article here. It can cause issues with incompatible client devices.

I keep this feature enabled on 374.40 and nothing happens, while on latest 5047 does, any ideas? Since on Tablets and smartphones I cant update their drivers there's nothing to do :(

I know Asus has improved It using 2,4ghz, but becomes useless as many devices dont work properly after sometime like my Iphone :mad:

Looking forward to get It properly fixed on next FW

So I've updated to the latest alpha version you have Merlin, and everything seemed to go well for at least the first few days.

My issue is a few things. It still appears to be dropping connection every once in awhile, on both frequencies. I came from a netgear WNDR4500, and i could get 5GHz fine in my bedroom around the corner. Now it seems that with this router, I can barely get 5GHz in the same spot.

I also restored to factory default settings as recommended once firmware is updated. Are there any modifications i should do to my settings to make sure I'm getting the signal around our house as intended? Should I revert to a previous build? Thanks!

Last edited:
Since updating to 5047 and performing a factory reset & reload I have been up for over 6 days now. Two things I have noticed, the first is that my general log is blank since I cleared it right after upgrading to the new firmware. The second item is my 2.4Ghz guest account is dropping out several times a minute for about 5 seconds. I am using WiFi Analyzer on my Android phone to determine this.

UPDATE 8/12/14: Seems my log is fine, just not used to it being so quite after they fixed the reboot issue. Also on the guest account dropouts I suspect this is an issue with the beamforming searching for a client. If I switch my phone over to one of the other SSIDs (5Ghz or guest) and then monitor the signal it smooth's out nicely with no evidence of dropout.

Last edited:
very stable over here

still very stable over here! up for five days, good coverage, good speed, latest firmware works very well for me!

I have beamforming on, and until this firmware, never had an issue with it. Now after upgrading it's not uncommon for client systems to drop several times a day.

hmm... both explicit and universal beamforming on here but really no issues... im not in an area with a lot of other wifi networks surrounding me though... did you try turning it off?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!