What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.3813

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure how many people have installed this firmware but the 'lack of' complaints makes me wonder if it's good (or just not many people installing it and are waiting for Merlin's version)! :D
I installed 3873 and manually entered all of the parameters. That showed up several bugs that wouldn't be apparent by just loading a config file.
  • I mentioned a problem with setting the Time Zone and Daylight Saving several posts back. I won't repeat the details.
  • On the same panel my user name was not "remembered" from the initial startup and had to be re-entered.
  • I went into the AiProtection feature and turned it all on. My browsing became like I was wading through a swamp. Very sluggish. I turned it off again and will have another go sometime.
  • Trend Micro supplied the AiProtection and to use it you have to agree to their Ts & Cs. They advise you to print them for future reference but there is no capability to print or copy them. I read all of the terms and apart from the lawyer mumbo jumbo there doesn't appear to be anything bad in them but I always like to keep a copy.
  • I always change the Lan-IP to something quite different. When you do this you are asked if you want the router to adjust the DHCP Pool addresses. If you say yes then the pool range is set from 1 to 254 which includes the Lan-IP. There has been big discussion about address ranges over-lap in another thread.
None of these problems are a big deal (yet) but could cause significant problems for a new user.

Yes, I am waiting for Merlin's version but I am cautious and willing to let others explore a release first. I read about significant problems (with Merlin FW) in these forums. I often speculate that many seem to be self inflicted; such as not wiping NVRAM etc. when required.

Last edited:
I've installed 3873 and other than the previously mentioned timezone issue (for which there is an easy work around) I've had zero problems. I've got all three features enabled in the AI Protection and it has had zero impact on the performance of the router or the GUI as I feared it would. The new adaptive QOS seems to work well also. The AI Protection also logs Web History which for me is a fantastic feature. Now I can keep an eye on what my kids are surfing on the web and not have to worry about them deleting the browsing history in their browsers. For the record, this is the first time I have flashed stock firmware, my AC68 has only seen Merlin firmware. I was anxiously awaiting this release, I'll flash to Merlin's version as soon as its available.

wrs is part of AiProtection, which handles network security using TrendMicro's DPI engine.

Is there any way of forcing clients to use the routers DNS or a specific DNS in ASUS firmware like there is in Merlins fw? I've ever only used Merlins fw but I'm thinking about trying this one until Merlin releases his version...

In LAN->DHCP Server you can specify a certain DNS Server.
I used to add here all mighty 8.8.8.8. But I couldn't figure out how to add a second DNS, so I add Google DNSs in the WAN page and add nothing here so Asus router will announce himself as a DNS. Worked well for me for quiet a lot of time.

If you want to add a specific DNS on one of your devices, you can edit the network config on device itself. Not on all mobile devices, I'm afraid :(

In LAN->DHCP Server you can specify a certain DNS Server.
I used to add here all mighty 8.8.8.8. But I couldn't figure out how to add a second DNS, so I add Google DNSs in the WAN page and add nothing here so Asus router will announce himself as a DNS. Worked well for me for quiet a lot of time.

If you want to add a specific DNS on one of your devices, you can edit the network config on device itself. Not on all mobile devices, I'm afraid :(

..Hold up there.

WAN section includes a place for 2 DNS -- this is for resolving Internet domains between internet and your router.
LAN section is for your internal network -- the DNS server here is meant for resolving internal LAN domains, like MYCOMPUTER.homenetwork.local.

There is only one, because the ASUS DHCP server automatically sends its own gateway IP address as second DNS. :)

Last edited:
LAN section is for your internal network -- the DNS server here is meant for resolving internal LAN domains, like MYCOMPUTER.homenetwork.local.

There is only one, because the ASUS DHCP server automatically sends its own gateway IP address as second DNS. :)

This may or may not be Asus' intent. Regardless, there is no harm in allowing the option for two name resolvers in the DHCP config. Why limit it to one?

This may or may not be Asus' intent. Regardless, there is no harm in allowing the option for two name resolvers in the DHCP config. Why limit it to one?

I think most clients only have room for 2 -- and so in order to allow room for their gateway they limit LAN to 1.

do an "ipconfig /all" and see your own results ;)

I think most clients only have room for 2 -- and so in order to allow room for their gateway they limit LAN to 1.

do an "ipconfig /all" and see your own results ;)

Incorrect. Just about all clients can handle three or four DNS resolvers - Windows included.

Incorrect. Just about all clients can handle three or four DNS resolvers - Windows included.

I do agree with you, as you can override it in Advanced, but here is what I was referring to:
m41A1wA.png

http://i.imgur.com/m41A1wA.png

AiProtection - email alert preferences

Hello,

Was anyone able to setup email alert preferences under " infected device prevention and blocking" ? the alert preference button does not give the option to configure an smtp server,port etc... and it is only listing gmail as an email provider?

Thank you.

Hello,

Was anyone able to setup email alert preferences under " infected device prevention and blocking" ? the alert preference button does not give the option to configure an smtp server,port etc... and it is only listing gmail as an email provider?

Thank you.

That feature only supports GMail's SMTP at this time, so you will need a GMail account for it to work.

Hello,

Thank you.
That setup is a bit retarded and especially so without HELP of any form. I use other software that emails alerts and it allows for sender, receiver, smtp server definition including encrypt or not with port selection. It also has a TEST button so you can see if your setup works rather than wait for a failure in production. That said, I have a few Gmail addresses so I gave it one.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your reply. I use 2 steps authentication for my gmail account so I entered one of my codes as the password. It is odd that there is not test button. That feature must be a work in progress just like the aicloud sync server feature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That setup is EXTRA retarded.

It asks for your email password!

No way in hell am I going to do that.

Other devices we use send us alerts using their own mail server and do not require the user to give up his / her password.

We use several Asus products but this router has truly diminished my trust in the brand.

That setup is a bit retarded and especially so without HELP of any form. I use other software that emails alerts and it allows for sender, receiver, smtp server definition including encrypt or not with port selection. It also has a TEST button so you can see if your setup works rather than wait for a failure in production. That said, I have a few Gmail addresses so I gave it one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!