What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My setup until 81049 was:

RT-AC86U (AiMesh router)
RT-AC68U (AiMesh node)

I updated both to 81039 and didn't notice any issues. Then 81049 was released. I performed the update like I always do: via the firmware upgrade section in the web UI. My RT-AC86U updated fine, but when I logged back in to the web UI, my 68U was nowhere to be seen. I looked at it and saw that the power light was rapidly flashing. I made several attempts at resetting it (e.g. holding reset while powering on; holding WPS while powering on, holding both reset and WPS while powering on, etc.) and none worked. My 68U seems to be bricked.

i have the same setup as yours exactly and it's working fine. i think when the power led is flashing fast it means it's in rescue mode. did you try the firmware restoration tool?

bitsbytes said:
i have the same setup as yours exactly and it's working fine. i think when the power led is flashing fast it means it's in rescue mode. did you try the firmware restoration tool?
Not yet, I need to borrow a friend's laptop. It seems that by giving away my desktop PC last year I'm now left without any devices that can make a wired connection. :-/

Interesting - 81049 posted again. Anyone have the old checksum?

I looked at the RT-AC66U B1 and the 81049 up there now is identical to the one posted on the first day 81049 was posted. I don't think it's ever been officially taken down. The ASUS site always seems a bit out of sync to me so I wouldn't draw conclusions over the accuracy of that site.

I do have problems with the current AC68U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049:
When using the USB drive on the router via the samba connection I get an error every time I create a new folder. This error happens when I connect from windows 7, windows 10 or via FTP from my iPad.
I always get an error message after creating a folder but when listing the directory afterwards the folder has been created correctly.
This issue is also described here:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/error-on-network-drive.875087/

Has anybody experienced the same behavior?
Do you have a bugfix or workaround?

I do have problems with the current AC68U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049:
When using the USB drive on the router via the samba connection I get an error every time I create a new folder. This error happens when I connect from windows 7, windows 10 or via FTP from my iPad.
I always get an error message after creating a folder but when listing the directory afterwards the folder has been created correctly.
This issue is also described here:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/error-on-network-drive.875087/

Has anybody experienced the same behavior?
Do you have a bugfix or workaround?

same problem here, it's a pain in the behind transferring files with many folders.

I finally tried the firmware restoration tool but no luck. "The wireless router is not in rescue mode." The power LED needs to be flashing slowly to indicate that the router is in rescue mode. Mine is flashing fast, which I've read indicates that it's in WPS processing mode. Not sure what else to try.

I also had issue with 81049. Everything updated okay on both meshes.My hard drive connected to 3.0 usb port has only movies on it that every client can see and watch but now none of the movies will play.
Re-installed both meshes back to 45717 and movies can be watched again.
Movies were unwatchable on firetv, iphone, android, and smart tvs. Never tried the desk tops.

I finally tried the firmware restoration tool but no luck. "The wireless router is not in rescue mode." The power LED needs to be flashing slowly to indicate that the router is in rescue mode. Mine is flashing fast, which I've read indicates that it's in WPS processing mode. Not sure what else to try.
i'd wait for another opinion but i think you should put it in rescue mode manually and proceed with the firmware restoration tool.

i'd wait for another opinion but i think you should put it in rescue mode manually and proceed with the firmware restoration tool.
Yep, that's exactly what I tried. It won't go into rescue mode. It's stuck with a constant fast-flashing power LED.

Yep, that's exactly what I tried. It won't go into rescue mode. It's stuck with a constant fast-flashing power LED.

maybe someone here can help you, I thought it's really hard to brick a router with a fw update. and we're talking about the 68u here, I lost count of how many updates i put on it and it's still running. if you had an 86u I would've offered you my condolences.

Man this is frustrating, updated last week to the pulled fw, rolled back this weekend, then upgraded again last night. Mostly seems stable other than UI a little lag, and again getting nonstop of the below in syslog. I can't identify that Mac address to anything on my network so I'm not sure what to do. Rollback had a mostly quiet syslog.

D8:31:34:CE:F8:AA appears to be Roku Device. If that's helpful. https://aruljohn.com/mac/D83134

My node 81049 is still doing the scans (in the log) even though the channels are both manually set. However, it never attempts to change the channel.

I also still get the Disassoc/Auth/Assoc log entries, but only at appropriate times, such as a TV (with Wifi) being powered on or off, a cellphone entering sleep (power save) mode, or a person with a cellphone leaving or arriving home. For debugging reasons I find the log entries helpful.

Other than that, quiet as a mouse. About 9 days now with no unexplained disconnects.

My node 81049 is still doing the scans (in the log) even though the channels are both manually set. However, it never attempts to change the channel.

I also still get the Disassoc/Auth/Assoc log entries, but only at appropriate times, such as a TV (with Wifi) being powered on or off, a cellphone entering sleep (power save) mode, or a person with a cellphone leaving or arriving home. For debugging reasons I find the log entries helpful.

Other than that, quiet as a mouse. About 9 days now with no unexplained disconnects.

81049 does more than just scan excessively. Once you work with it and see weird things happen, you're convinced to get rid of it. That was my experience on an 86U.

OE

I do have the same experience using RT-AC86U so no issues with 3.0.0.4.384.81049 for me.

81049 does more than just scan excessively. Once you work with it and see weird things happen, you're convinced to get rid of it. That was my experience on an 86U.

OE

ACSD rescanning every 15 minutes is normal (it's the default value AFAIK). What isn't is just that debug logging is incorrectly enabled. You can force it disabled with:

Code:
nvram set acsd_debug_level=0
nvram commit
service restart_acsd

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!