What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20253

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not that this helps those who run 68U's as their primary routers, but none of my (4) four 68U's running as AiMesh nodes have high CPU usage on the 3.0.0.4.385_20253-gb338b0e firmware release. All four are below 2-4% CPU on average, though the only way I have of knowing CPU usage on any of them is to SSH in and run "top" to see it. From what I've seen of the "high CPU usage" bugs in the past, the httpd/httpds process is the culprit (the process that runs the web UI for the router). The httpds process does not run however on AiMesh nodes for obvious reasons.

Same here. Mine running as AiMesh shows low CPU usage.

Hi,
How can you see cpu usage when router is in AiMesh conf. since the start page is automate redirected to master AiMesh(main router)?

as the suggested in the post just before yours, you need to ssh into the AiMesh node and run "top" to see the CPU usage.

The owners of RT-AC5300 routers with latest firmware which contains the - Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability is also causing high CPU usage for our models as well. Use the "Feedback" function of your router configuration page (under Advanced Settings-Administration) to submit the issue to ASUS. If we all submit the issue along with the logs/configs that the feedback function sends automatically, maybe they can find this quickly and get us all patched up.

I still wonder why some report a high CPU load with firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20253 and me and for sure many others do not observe a high CPU load.

Maybe we can determine what feature is causing the high CPU load.

The only issue for me is why the new Asus Healing System needs daily updated signature files, and what does it really do?
See this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-version-3-0-0-4-385-20253.62620/#post-561787

My situation is:
RT-AC68U (hardware version A2).
Revert to factory defaults some moment after the upgrade to 3.0.0.4.385.20253.
Manual configured the router, as follows from default:

Advanced Settings - Wireless - General - 2.4 GHz
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control Channel: 1

Advanced Settings - Wireless - WPS
Enable WPS: OFF

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - LAN - LAN IP
Host Name: [another name]

Advanced Settings - WAN - Internet Connection
Enable UPnP: No

Advanced Settings - Administration - System
USB Mode: USB 2.0
Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern
DST time zone changes starts: month = 3, weekday = 5th Sun, 2 hours
DST time zone changes ends: month = 10, weekday = 5th Sun, 3 hours

USB application - Servers Center - Media Server
Enable UPnP Media Server: OFF

Guest Network
Set one 2.4GHz guest network.

Like others, I also noticed consistent 85-95% CPU usage. Reverting to version 20252 resolved the issue. Now running under 10%. Using RT-AC68U in a single router configuration running Samba shares and media server. No QoS. Sent feedback to ASUS.

After updating my Asus RT-AC68P's stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.385_20253, I am experiencing the same issue--my router's CPU (both cores) are consistently running at 85-95% and the (router's) WebUI is extremely sluggish. In an attempt to resolve these issues, I restored the router to its Factory Default settings, and reconfigured the router from scratch, but the performance issues returned a couple of days later; to my dismay, the router had been working well--the CPU's cores were running between 0-30% for a couple of days--until the problem resurfaced.

After reading forum posts last night about reverting the router's firmware back to firmware version 20252 to resolve these issues, I became extremely hopeful that I could return the routers performance back to normal, but unfortunately, I am unable to revert back to 20252. Following Asus' instructions, I restarted the router in Recovery Mode and attempted to push firmware version 20252 with the Asus Recovery utility, but the process fails at around 87% of the firmware push (consistently). The only thing I have plugged into my router is my PC (into LAN port 1) and the router's power brick.

With that said, I was wondering how you reverted back to firmware version 20252. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Rollback firmware is usually a matter of installing the older firmware: Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Manual Firmware Update > Upload
Select the .trx file of the firmware you want to install and go.
upload_2020-4-6_15-9-45.png

I now noticed the page oddly speaks about AiMesh router, while my router is not AiMesh.

If your router starts up correct, try the above.
After the downgrade I suggest to revert to factory defaults and manual configure the router.
Then also have a look at this post to try to determine what the difference is for you compared to my situation.

After updating my Asus RT-AC68P's stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.385_20253, I am experiencing the same issue--my router's CPU (both cores) are consistently running at 85-95% and the (router's) WebUI is extremely sluggish. In an attempt to resolve these issues, I restored the router to its Factory Default settings, and reconfigured the router from scratch, but the performance issues returned a couple of days later; to my dismay, the router had been working well--the CPU's cores were running between 0-30% for a couple of days--until the problem resurfaced.

After reading forum posts last night about reverting the router's firmware back to firmware version 20252 to resolve these issues, I became extremely hopeful that I could return the routers performance back to normal, but unfortunately, I am unable to revert back to 20252. Following Asus' instructions, I restarted the router in Recovery Mode and attempted to push firmware version 20252 with the Asus Recovery utility, but the process fails at around 87% of the firmware push (consistently). The only thing I have plugged into my router is my PC (into LAN port 1) and the router's power brick.

With that said, I was wondering how you reverted back to firmware version 20252. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Remove/un-mount the USB HDD to see if that affects CPU usage.

OE

Why is the sky blue.
It confuses me because I have nothing with AiMesh.

You obviously have an AiMesh router. I'm sure it has many features noted that you are not using.

OE

Alright, what's in a name:
View attachment 22426
I call it it marketing, causing confusion.

10-4. Thank you. I originally was going to attempt the firmware update there, but was concerned that the Firmware Check and Manual Update (AiMesh Router) sections were separated. I wasn't sure if the AiMesh section referred to the router's firmware or an alternative mode that I was not running, but after your feedback, the feedback of other forum members, and digging a little deeper in my router settings, I see that I overlooked that the router is branded as an AiMesh Router (I have had the router for 4-5 years and never really noticed this and have never had any problems until now). I apologize for the dumb question (I'd be the first to admit that I am no expert when it comes to this device), but your feedback helps immensely. I will try the revert back today. Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Remove/un-mount the USB HDD to see if that affects CPU usage.

OE

Thank you for your feedback. I have never connected a USB drive to my router and have turned off the majority of USB application features on my router. I'm so frustrated with the router right now, so I am going to try to just revert it back to the previous firmware version for now. I had hit a bit of a snag doing this, but thanks to forum member comments have received clarification regarding how to accomplish this and learned something new. Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Thank you for your feedback. I have never connected a USB drive to my router and have turned off the majority of USB application features on my router. I'm so frustrated with the router right now, so I am going to try to just revert it back to the previous firmware version for now. I had hit a bit of a snag doing this, but thanks to forum member comments have received clarification regarding how to accomplish this and learned something new. Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Woops, my mistake... I think I meant that for the user using SAMBA shares.

OE

Settings on my router after reset in bold. Edit...this router has a high CPU usage when running 3.0.0.4.385.20253.

I still wonder why some report a high CPU load with firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20253 and me and for sure many others do not observe a high CPU load.

Maybe we can determine what feature is causing the high CPU load.

The only issue for me is why the new Asus Healing System needs daily updated signature files, and what does it really do?
See this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-version-3-0-0-4-385-20253.62620/#post-561787

My situation is:
RT-AC68U (hardware version A2). RT-AC66U B1 (hardware version B2)
Revert to factory defaults some moment after the upgrade to 3.0.0.4.385.20253. Did this.
Manual configured the router, as follows from default:

Advanced Settings - Wireless - General - 2.4 GHz Left all at default after reset
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control Channel: 1

Advanced Settings - Wireless - WPS
Enable WPS: OFF Also did this.

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz Left all at default after reset
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - LAN - LAN IP Left all at default after reset
Host Name: [another name]

Advanced Settings - WAN - Internet Connection
Enable UPnP: No Also did this

Advanced Settings - Administration - System
USB Mode: USB 2.0 Left all at default after reset which is USB 3.0. Nothing hooked up to USB.
Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern (GMT -7:00) Arizona (no DST here)
DST time zone changes starts: month = 3, weekday = 5th Sun, 2 hours
DST time zone changes ends: month = 10, weekday = 5th Sun, 3 hours

USB application - Servers Center - Media Server Not used.
Enable UPnP Media Server: OFF

Guest Network None setup
Set one 2.4GHz guest network.

Last edited:
I
You obviously have an AiMesh router. I'm sure it has many features noted that you are not using.

OE
I do have a RT-AC68U router which is capable of AiMesh and many more features I do not want. You may have noticed at least one other got confused because of calling the thing a AiMesh router. One could also call it AiProtect router or Samba router or PrinterServer router, which all makes no sense.
As I said, what's in a name, but I stick to the idea this is confusing.

That's what I did. I manually downloaded and applied the previous firmware and my router is back to normal. 99.9% there's no need to factory reset after firmware upgrade. No one designs a product with that intent built into it or it (or the company) would not be on the market for long. Only in the really rare occasion where things go sideways and even reverting doesn't work is it better to start from scratch. It's just so odd that some folks have no issue after firmware upgrade and some do. I've not factory reset my router since I bought it. All firmware upgrades worked fine save for this one. And to me it's not worth a factory reset to fix the CPU bug.

We all know and love Asus and I bet they're investigating the issue and will push a fix in short order.

(If you already haven't done so already, and if you feel compelled to do so) Could you email your experience and issuses regardimg the firmware to Asus? I have and encourage everyone affected to do so.